two policemen injured
| |

Two policemen injured in Peshawar IED attack

PESHAWAR: Two police personnel sustained minor injuries after an improvised explosive device (IED) exploded near a police vehicle in Peshawar on Sunday, officials said.

The blast occurred near Pir Zakorhi Bridge, close to the Peshawar-Islamabad Motorway toll plaza, where a police van was travelling on routine duty. The explosion damaged the vehicle and left the driver and a police constable with minor injuries.

Rescue teams and law enforcement officials quickly reached the site and shifted the injured officers to a nearby hospital for medical treatment. Authorities said both policemen were in stable condition and suffered only minor wounds.

The Bomb Disposal Unit (BDU) launched a search operation in the surrounding area after the explosion. Initial findings suggested that the explosive device had been planted along the roadside in a green belt and was detonated as the police vehicle passed by. Security personnel thoroughly scanned the area to ensure no additional explosive devices were present.

Police cordoned off the scene and began collecting evidence to determine those responsible for the attack. An investigation has been launched, while officials are examining the nature of the explosive and the method used in the incident.

The latest attack comes amid a surge in militant violence across Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. In recent days, several security personnel have lost their lives in separate terrorist attacks and counterterrorism operations in different parts of the province.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    PTI announces September 27 to Islamabad over key d…

    Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) has announced plans to march to Islamabad on September 27 if its demands regarding party founder Imran Khan are not met, with senior party leaders calling for legal and constitutional relief. The announcement was made during a public gathering near the motorway in Peshawar, where PTI leaders said the planned demonstration would go ahead unless progress is made on several issues, including regular meetings with Imran Khan, access to his personal physician, and timely hearings of court cases involving the former prime minister. Addressing supporters, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Ali Amin Gandapur said the party had pursued every available constitutional and legal avenue but had failed to achieve the desired outcomes. He argued that the party had little confidence in the judicial process and claimed that recent constitutional amendments had affected the functioning of the courts. Gandapur also alleged that PTI supporters had faced excessive force during previous demonstrations. He questioned the continued detention of Imran Khan and reiterated the party’s position that the former premier’s removal from office was the result of external interference. He further claimed that Pakistan’s economy had performed better during Imran Khan’s tenure and criticized the current government’s handling of economic and security challenges. The chief minister also expressed concern over inflation, unemployment, law and order, and the country’s overall economic situation. He accused the federal government of mismanagement and urged supporters to remain united ahead of the planned protest. Speaking at the same event, PTI leader Sohail Afridi said the party had exhausted all legal and constitutional options before deciding to launch another protest movement. He maintained that the planned march was intended to demand justice rather than political concessions. Afridi announced that PTI would proceed towards Islamabad on September 27 if its demands remained unaddressed. He told supporters that the party was seeking what it described as judicial justice and the restoration of legal rights for its leader. The planned demonstration is expected to become one of PTI’s major political mobilization efforts in the coming months. Party leaders have called on supporters from across the country to participate peacefully in the protest. The federal government has not yet issued a detailed response to PTI’s latest announcement. Political observers say the coming weeks will be important as both sides weigh their next steps amid Pakistan’s evolving political landscape.

  • Junk food companies caught suing the laws meant to stop them

    The World Health Organization says something troubling is happening behind the scenes of the global obesity fight. Many of the same companies profiting from junk food sales are also dragging governments to court. Their goal is to block laws designed to curb the crisis. A joint investigation by The Guardian and Lighthouse Reports dug into this pattern. Academics and media groups across four continents took part. Together, they uncovered 235 lawsuits filed against governments over ultra-processed food policies. The cases span 2010 to 2025. Countries hit hardest include Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, the US, and the UK. Labelling rules were the most challenged policies. Junk food taxes came next, followed by marketing restrictions. Food companies did not fare well in court. They lost about 75 percent of decided cases. But WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus says the scoreboard misses the real damage. It is the time these lawsuits consume that hurts most. Combined, the litigation added up to nearly 600 years. Each case dragged on for two and a half years on average. The costs go beyond legal bills. Governments spend billions on healthcare and courtroom battles alike. Tedros calls the resulting hesitation a “regulatory chill.” Long, expensive lawsuits make officials think twice before trying similar reforms. Researchers managed to trace plaintiffs in many of these cases. Of those identified, 38 percent came from just eight companies. The list includes Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, Mondelēz, Kellogg’s, Danone, Ferrero, Xignux, and Heartland Food Products Group. Some of these firms went a step further. They asked courts to keep their names hidden entirely. That secrecy tactic is not new. Researchers say it echoes moves once made by tobacco and alcohol companies. Both industries faced similar scrutiny in the past and used the same playbook. Tedros gave credit where it is due. He noted some companies have reformulated their products in good faith. Still, he insists that’s not enough while lawsuits keep piling up. There is also a wealth gap at play. Most legal battles are happening in richer nations. Poorer countries face the same obesity burden. But they have far fewer resources to defend new health policies if challenged in court. The scale of the crisis makes all this urgent. Nearly a billion people worldwide are currently living with obesity, per WHO estimates.

  • | |

    Father, two relatives held over newlywed’s deat…

    KHANEWAL: The sudden death of a 25-year-old newlywed woman in Khanewal has taken a disturbing turn after police arrested her father and two relatives over allegations that she was strangled days after marrying a man of her choice. The woman, identified as Iqra, died in Mehr Shah, an area falling within the jurisdiction of Sadar Khanewal Police Station. Police said her family initially attempted to present the death as an electrocution incident. According to the police and the FIR, Iqra had married Sohail three days before her death despite opposition from her family. Her husband alleged that her father, angered by the marriage, brought her back from her in-laws’ home on the pretext of formally sending her off from her parental house. Investigators allege that after bringing her home, Iqra was strangled with the assistance of her uncle and brother. Police are also examining claims that the family later staged the scene to make the death appear accidental. The case has now triggered a formal murder investigation, with authorities focusing on the circumstances surrounding the young woman’s death. Police arrested Iqra’s father, Falak Sher, and registered a case. Her body was shifted to the District Headquarters Hospital in Khanewal for a post-mortem examination, which is expected to help establish the exact cause of death. Sadar police SHO Ramzan Gul said Falak Sher was in custody and that investigators were waiting for the post-mortem report before drawing final conclusions. The officer said preliminary findings suggested that Iqra’s father could be the main suspect, while investigators were questioning other family members and examining the alleged strangulation and reported attempt to disguise the circumstances of her death. Police said the investigation would proceed further once the medical findings are received. Until then, the allegations remain under investigation, while authorities continue to determine what happened to Iqra after she returned to her family home.

  • | |

    Insider reveals where Ethan Slater stands with ex-…

    Actor Ethan Slater is not rekindling his relationship with ex-wife Lilly Jay following his recent split from singer Ariana Grande, despite growing speculation online. New reports have dismissed rumors suggesting the former couple could reunite, with a source close to Jay insisting there is no romantic reconciliation taking place.  Speculation began after news broke that Grande and Slater had quietly ended their relationship after nearly three years together. According to sources, the breakup was mutual and amicable, with both stars choosing to remain friends while focusing on their personal and professional lives.  Following the split, social media users questioned whether Slater might reconnect with Lilly Jay, his former wife and the mother of his child. However, a source close to Jay has firmly denied those claims. TMZ reported that the former spouses are “absolutely not” getting back together, adding that reports suggesting Slater is trying to win her back are simply untrue.  The insider also noted that while Ethan and Lilly continue to co-parent their son, their relationship remains focused on parenting rather than romance. They are said to be committed to raising their child in a healthy environment, but there are no plans to revive their marriage.  Slater and Jay’s relationship attracted significant public attention in 2023 after news of his romance with Grande surfaced during the production of Wicked. At the time, both Slater and Grande faced intense media scrutiny. Slater and Jay later finalized their divorce, and both have since moved forward with their separate lives.  Meanwhile, Grande has also reportedly begun a new chapter following the breakup. Recent reports suggest she has reconnected with former boyfriend Ricky Alvarez, although neither has publicly commented in detail on the status of their relationship.  Despite the online rumors, those close to Lilly Jay say she has no interest in revisiting the past. Instead, her priority remains her family and maintaining stability for her son. Likewise, Slater is reportedly focused on his career and fatherhood rather than attempting to rebuild his previous marriage.  For now, the latest reports make one thing clear: while Ethan Slater and Lilly Jay continue to share the responsibility of co-parenting, there is no romantic reunion on the horizon. As public interest in their personal lives continues, sources close to the family hope to put the speculation to rest by emphasizing that both have moved on and are concentrating on the next chapter of their lives. 

  • |

    Trump media loss widens to $238m as new revenue pu…

    NEW YORK: Trump Media & Technology Group, the company behind US President Donald Trump’s Truth Social platform, reported a sharply wider quarterly loss as falling cryptocurrency values weighed heavily on its finances. The company said its net loss for the second quarter reached $238.1 million, compared with a loss of about $20 million during the same period a year earlier. The steep increase was largely linked to unrealised losses on digital assets held by the company, highlighting the financial risks of its growing exposure to cryptocurrencies. The results come at a time when digital assets faced renewed pressure from investors. During the April-to-June quarter, uncertainty over US interest rates, geopolitical tensions and continued outflows from crypto investment products pushed many investors away from riskier assets. Despite the large loss, Trump Media reported an increase in revenue. Revenue for the quarter ended in June rose to $1.7 million, compared with $900,000 during the same period last year. The company is now attempting to build new sources of income beyond advertising and social media. Truth API enters the market One of its most closely watched projects is Truth API, a licensed data feed launched on August 1. The service is designed to provide banks, trading firms and other financial institutions with rapid access to posts from influential Truth Social accounts. Trump’s posts frequently attract significant attention from investors and can influence financial markets, making access to the data potentially valuable for trading and financial analysis. Trump Media has reportedly discussed charging customers as much as $100,000 per month for the service. The company said it had already signed more than 10 customer agreements for Truth API and was continuing to add partners. “Our new Truth API product is already generating revenue, with more than ten customer agreements signed to date,” interim Chief Executive Kevin McGurn said in a statement. The early agreements offer the company a potentially important new revenue stream as it seeks to reduce its dependence on Truth Social. Bigger ambitions beyond social media Trump Media is also pursuing an ambitious expansion into other industries. McGurn said the company was making progress toward its proposed merger with TAE Technologies, a fusion-energy developer. The planned deal reflects a broader strategy to position Trump Media around emerging technologies and businesses expected to benefit from growing demand for electricity. Fusion energy has attracted increased attention as artificial intelligence data centres consume increasing amounts of power, creating pressure for new energy sources. The company’s expansion adds another unusual chapter to Trump Media’s corporate strategy, which already stretches from social media and cryptocurrency into financial technology and other ventures. Investors watching closely The latest results underline the challenge facing Trump Media as it attempts to turn its high-profile brand into a sustainable business. Truth Social has significant visibility because of Trump’s political influence and his large following on the platform. However, the company’s relatively modest quarterly revenue compared with its substantial loss highlights the difficulty of converting that attention into consistent earnings. The launch of Truth API could provide a new path if financial institutions continue signing up for the service. At the same time, the company’s exposure to cryptocurrency means its financial results could remain sensitive to swings in digital-asset prices. For investors, the latest figures present a mixed picture: Trump Media is expanding its business ambitions and adding new customers, but its losses remain substantial and its strategy carries considerable financial risk.

  • |

    At least 18 migrants die as thousands cross into Spain’s Ceuta enclave

    At least 18 migrants have died while attempting to reach the Spanish enclave of Ceuta after thousands crossed the border from Morocco in one of the largest migration surges seen in the region in recent years. The humanitarian situation continued to worsen on Friday as migrants kept arriving by sea while clashes broke out between Moroccan security forces and groups gathered near the border. Hundreds of migrants were seen on hills overlooking Ceuta as Moroccan authorities used tear gas to disperse crowds trying to move toward the Spanish territory. Despite the security operation, many people continued to swim across the narrow stretch of water separating Morocco from Ceuta. At the same time, large numbers of migrants who had already entered the enclave chose to return to Morocco on foot. Rachid Sbihi, who heads a local association representing Spain’s Civil Guard officers, described the situation as a serious humanitarian emergency. He said thousands of migrants, including many unaccompanied children, were sleeping in parks, streets and public spaces because reception centres had reached capacity. Emergency teams and military personnel sent to the area have mainly focused on treating the injured and providing humanitarian assistance as authorities struggle to manage the crisis. According to local officials, many of the 18 victims drowned while trying to swim into Ceuta. Others reportedly died during a stampede near the breakwater at Tarajal beach as large crowds rushed toward the border. Rescue teams continued searching the coastline while personal belongings including shoes, clothing and flotation devices were scattered along the shore. Many migrants said they left Morocco in search of better economic opportunities in Europe. One migrant, 33 year old Ahmed Karim, said unemployment and limited prospects at home had driven many people to take the dangerous journey. He explained that many dream of reaching Europe or the United States but see few legal opportunities to do so. Moroccan authorities strengthened security along the border by deploying additional police officers, using water cannons and firing warning shots into the air to stop more crossings. Human rights groups said migrants who were detained near the border were transported further into Morocco, although many others continued arriving in the area hoping to enter Ceuta. Morocco’s ambassador to Spain, Karima Benyaich, expressed hope that those who had crossed into Ceuta would voluntarily return. She said Morocco supports safe and orderly migration but did not comment on what had triggered the sudden movement of thousands of people toward the Spanish territory. Officials in Spain linked the surge to a recent Supreme Court ruling stating that migrants who reach Spain by swimming cannot automatically be returned, unlike those who cross by land or climb the border fence. The Spanish government argued that people smuggling networks had exploited public misunderstanding of the ruling to encourage migrants to attempt the dangerous crossing. Some Moroccan rights activists questioned that explanation, saying many migrants were unlikely to have known about the legal decision. Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez was expected to visit Ceuta after local authorities requested military assistance. His government’s migration policies have come under criticism from opposition politicians, who argue that recent measures granting residency and work permits to certain undocumented migrants have encouraged more people to head for Spain. The government rejected those claims, insisting the current crisis is unrelated to its immigration reforms. The unrest also spread to Melilla, Spain’s other North African enclave, where groups of migrants attempted to cross the border and clashed with Moroccan police. Rights groups reported injuries among security personnel and dozens of arrests. Spanish officials have not yet confirmed how many migrants entered Ceuta, although media reports estimate that between 30,000 and 49,000 people crossed into the territory within a single day, placing enormous pressure on a city with a population of about 84,000.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *