scottish withdraws support
|

Scottish FA withdraws support for Infantino amid FIFA controversy

The Scottish Football Association (SFA) has withdrawn its support for FIFA president Gianni Infantino, adding to the growing pressure on the football governing body’s chief ahead of next year’s presidential election.

The decision follows Infantino’s controversial proposal involving private investment and the potential sale of stakes linked to the World Cup. The plan has faced strong opposition from several European football associations, raising fresh questions over FIFA’s governance and transparency.

SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell confirmed on Monday that Scotland would not vote for Infantino at the next FIFA Congress.

“The Scottish FA will not be voting for Gianni Infantino. That’s in line with the UEFA position, and we’ve maintained that stance throughout,” Maxwell said.

Scotland has joined England, Ireland and Wales among European federations that have withdrawn their backing for the FIFA president.

Infantino is facing mounting criticism after three football confederations accused him of “deception” over his private-investor World Cup proposal in an open letter published last week.

The controversy has also placed greater attention on FIFA’s internal governance. SFA president Mike Mulraney currently serves as chair of FIFA’s finance committee.

Maxwell said football administrators should focus on their responsibilities rather than remaining constantly in the public spotlight. He argued that FIFA needs stronger transparency, better governance and improved communication with its member associations.

“There’s obviously been a fall-down in governance,” Maxwell said, adding that changes to FIFA’s structure and approach would need to be discussed.

With opposition growing across Europe, Infantino faces an increasingly difficult challenge as he seeks to retain his position and secure another term at next year’s FIFA Congress.

Similar Posts

  • | | |

    Karachi government colleges announce Intermediate …

    The Sindh College Education Department has officially announced the merit list for Intermediate admissions in government colleges across Karachi, marking an important step for thousands of students seeking admission after completing their matriculation. The newly published lists include the names of students who have successfully secured seats in various government colleges based on merit. According to the department, admissions have been granted strictly on academic performance, ensuring a transparent and fair selection process. Students who have been selected are advised to review the merit list carefully and complete all remaining admission formalities within the given deadline. Officials have confirmed that more than 160,000 applications were received for Intermediate admissions from across Sindh this year. Karachi alone accounted for the largest share, with 98,646 students applying for admission to government colleges. The high number of applications reflects the growing demand for quality public education in the city. The Directorate General of Colleges has instructed all selected students to confirm their admission no later than July 31. Candidates who fail to complete the confirmation process within the deadline may lose their allotted seats, which could then be offered to other eligible applicants under the merit system. Students are encouraged to check their admission status through the official admission portal or by visiting their allocated college. They should also ensure that all required documents are submitted on time to avoid unnecessary delays in the admission process. The education department has emphasized that admissions are being conducted entirely on merit, with students placed in colleges according to their academic scores and available seats. Those who were not selected in the first list may still have an opportunity if additional merit lists are released after the confirmation period. Education experts advise students and parents to stay updated with official announcements and complete every admission requirement before the deadline. Timely confirmation is essential for securing a place in the preferred college and beginning the new academic session without complications. With thousands of students preparing to start their Intermediate education, the release of the merit list represents a significant milestone in the annual admission process. Applicants should act promptly to secure their seats and ensure a smooth transition into the next stage of their academic journey.

  • | | | |

    Iran sets six conditions for reopening Strait of Hormuz

    Iran has set six conditions for the United States to allow the full reopening of the Strait of Hormuz. The demands were presented by Mohammad Bagher Zolghadr, secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council. He warned that Tehran would not reopen the strategic waterway unless Washington changed its policy towards Iran. Zolghadr said the first condition was that the United States must not threaten Iran under any circumstances. He also said Washington must avoid any language or action that insults the dignity of the Iranian people. The second condition calls for a permanent end to what Iran describes as war and aggression against the country and its allies. These include Lebanon, Palestine, Yemen and Iraq. Iran’s third demand is the lifting of the naval blockade imposed on the country. Tehran has also called for the withdrawal of US forces from areas surrounding Iran. The fourth condition concerns compensation for damage caused to Iran during the war. Zolghadr said Iran must receive full compensation for the losses it suffered. The fifth demand is the removal of what Tehran considers unfair and illegal sanctions imposed on the Iranian people. Iran’s sixth condition calls for the unconditional release of Iranian assets that have been seized or frozen abroad. Tehran wants these assets returned to the Iranian people. The Strait of Hormuz is a key international shipping route. It connects the Persian Gulf with the Gulf of Oman and the wider Arabian Sea. A disruption in the waterway could have major consequences for global energy supplies and international trade. Iran has repeatedly stressed the strategic importance of the strait. Any decision regarding its reopening could therefore have wider regional and international implications. Zolghadr also said Iran would maintain its position regardless of whether the situation develops into further conflict or diplomatic negotiations.

  • | | |

    Pakistan approves 1m tonnes wheat imports

    Pakistan’s strategic wheat reserves have fallen to critically low levels, with the stocks held by the Pakistan Agricultural Storage and Services Corporation (PASSCO) reportedly almost exhausted. The shortage has emerged despite the International Monetary Fund (IMF) allowing the government to procure wheat. Federal and provincial authorities, however, were unable to secure sufficient quantities, resulting in a sharp decline in PASSCO’s strategic reserves. The situation has raised concerns about maintaining adequate wheat supplies and meeting future requirements. PASSCO plays an important role in maintaining strategic stocks that can be used to support food security during periods of shortage. In response to the declining reserves, the Economic Coordination Committee (ECC) has approved the import of one million tonnes of wheat. The government has also formed a steering committee to oversee the process and ensure that all necessary requirements are completed before the imported wheat is brought into the country. Officials said the import process will be subject to several conditions. These include pre-shipment inspection to verify the quality and quantity of wheat before it leaves the exporting country. Another major condition requires provincial governments to arrange and provide the funds needed to meet their respective wheat requirements. The latest decision comes as authorities seek to strengthen wheat availability and prevent a potential supply gap. The import plan is expected to help rebuild stocks after the depletion of PASSCO’s strategic reserves. The steering committee will monitor the required procedures and coordinate with the relevant federal and provincial authorities. Its role will include ensuring that the conditions attached to the wheat import decision are fulfilled. The development highlights the importance of timely wheat procurement and strategic stock management. Any delay in rebuilding reserves could create additional pressure on the country’s food supply system, particularly if domestic availability remains insufficient.

  • |

    Ali Raza mourns the sudden death of his father

    Popular Pakistani actor Ali Raza is grieving the heartbreaking loss of his father. The actor recently shared the devastating news with his fans and followers on social media, revealing that his father passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. Ali Raza has established himself as one of the promising young stars of the Pakistani television industry. He made his acting debut with HUM TV’s popular drama Muhabbat Gumshuda Meri, which helped him gain recognition among viewers. Since then, he has continued to strengthen his position in the industry with a series of notable performances. The actor later appeared in several successful television projects, including Noor Jahan, Iqtidar, and Duniyapur. His performances in these dramas earned him a growing fan base and established him as a talented performer to watch. At present, Ali Raza is appearing in two prime-time dramas, Leader and Mirza Ki Heer, where audiences have been appreciating his performances. Amid his professional commitments, the actor is now facing a deeply painful personal loss following the death of his father. Ali Raza took to Instagram to announce the sad news. Sharing the heartbreaking update with his followers, he wrote, “Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’un,” a prayer commonly recited upon hearing about someone’s death. He further revealed that his father had passed away suddenly and described the death as untimely. The actor also turned to his fans during this difficult moment and requested them to remember his late father in their prayers. In his message, Ali Raza asked his followers to pray for his father’s maghfirat and forgiveness. His emotional announcement quickly drew attention from fans, colleagues, and followers, many of whom expressed their condolences and offered prayers for the departed soul. The news has left Ali Raza’s fans deeply saddened. Many followers took to social media to send messages of support to the actor and his family during this difficult period. Fans also prayed for the forgiveness and eternal peace of his father and asked Allah to grant patience and strength to the bereaved family. The actor, who is currently enjoying significant popularity because of his television projects, has chosen to share this difficult personal moment with the people who have supported him throughout his career. The sudden loss of a parent is an incredibly painful experience, and Ali Raza’s heartfelt request has prompted an outpouring of sympathy from his supporters. His fans are standing by him during this challenging time and joining him in prayers for his late father. May Allah grant his father maghfirat, elevate his ranks in the hereafter, and give Ali Raza and his family strength and patience to cope with this heartbreaking loss.

  • | |

    Dr Nigat Shah clarifies JPMC contract extension

    Professor Dr Nigat Shah, head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC), has clarified that her contract-based employment extension will not affect the posting or promotion of any associate professor. Speaking to the media, Dr Shah said several gynaecology units at JPMC had remained closed since 2013. She said one of the closed units was revived in 2022 to expand medical services and provide treatment to patients. She added that the department is continuing patient care alongside postgraduate training and research. According to Dr Shah, the hospital needs more specialised doctors, and she has no objection to the appointment of any qualified medical professional. Dr Shah stressed that her objective was not to create obstacles for another doctor’s appointment or career progression. She said her contract extension should not be viewed as an attempt to block the posting or promotion of any associate professor. The clarification comes after senior associate professors at Jinnah Sindh Medical University (JSMU) reportedly raised concerns over Dr Shah’s reappointment. Several affected professors wrote to the Sindh chief minister, Sindh health minister and the federal ombudsman, expressing reservations about the decision. In their letter, the professors claimed that the second paragraph of a Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC) notification issued on May 19 had been overlooked. They further maintained that the reappointment could affect the promotions of six associate professors who are awaiting advancement to higher positions. The professors have sought the authorities’ attention to the matter and called for the relevant rules and regulations to be considered while deciding appointments and promotions.

  • |

    Wasim Akram’s 1992 heroics inspire Rabada ahead of 2027 World Cup

    JOHANNESBURG: South Africa fast bowler Kagiso Rabada has revealed that one of Wasim Akram’s greatest World Cup performances is motivating him as the Proteas prepare for the 2027 ICC Cricket World Cup on home soil. Rabada, speaking at the official World Cup 2027 venue and brand announcement event in Johannesburg, acknowledged that hosting cricket’s biggest tournament brings an added sense of responsibility. However, the experienced pacer said he prefers to view home advantage as an opportunity rather than a burden. “I think there’s a lot more to it at the moment with us hosting it,” Rabada said. Rather than feeling pressured to deliver a title in front of home supporters, the 31-year-old wants South Africa to embrace the occasion and protect what he described as their “fortress”. “For me, it’s about representing the badge,” Rabada said, stressing the pride that comes with playing a World Cup in front of South African fans. The fast bowler also looked back at the 1992 World Cup final, identifying Pakistan great Wasim Akram’s devastating spell against England as one of the tournament moments he remembers most vividly. Akram changed the final with two remarkable deliveries that removed Allan Lamb and Chris Lewis in successive balls, helping Pakistan seize control before eventually lifting the trophy. For Rabada, the performance represented everything he admires about fast bowling: pace, skill, intensity and the ability to rise to the biggest occasion. “He was fast, had so much skill, and just had this presence, this heightened energy about him,” Rabada recalled. The South African pacer hopes his team can create a similarly memorable moment in 2027. South Africa have repeatedly shown the ability to reach the latter stages of major ICC tournaments but have struggled to convert those appearances into a world title. Rabada believes that barrier is no longer psychological. “We’ve shown that we can go and play in finals and in the semi-finals,” he said. The remaining challenge, he added, is taking that final step. With the 2027 World Cup set to be staged across South Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia, Rabada and his teammates will have a major opportunity to write their own chapter in cricket history. And if Rabada can channel even a little of Akram’s 1992 magic, South African fans may have plenty to celebrate.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *