ssgc rules out
| |

SSGC rules out gas leak after Karachi odor complai…

KARACHI: The Sui Southern Gas Company (SSGC) has reassured residents that the unusually strong smell of natural gas reported in several parts of Karachi is the result of routine testing linked to a new pipeline project and not due to any gas leak.

In a statement issued on Sunday, the utility company said the odor was caused by the temporary addition of a higher-than-normal concentration of odorant during the commissioning of a new gas pipeline near Abul Hasan Ispahani Road.

According to SSGC, the testing of odorisation plants forms a standard part of the commissioning process to ensure that natural gas can be easily detected by smell in the event of future leaks. The company emphasized that gas system pressures remain stable and that no leakage has been detected anywhere in the network.

The stronger odor prompted numerous complaints from residents across different neighborhoods, many of whom feared a possible gas leak. However, SSGC clarified that the smell was expected during the testing phase and did not pose any immediate safety risk.

“The system is operating under normal conditions, and no gas leakage has been reported,” the company said, urging consumers to remain calm and continue their daily activities without concern.

Officials explained that odorants, which are harmless chemical compounds, are intentionally added to naturally odorless gas to help people quickly identify leaks. During commissioning and testing, the quantity of odorant may temporarily increase, resulting in a stronger smell than usual.

The clarification comes amid heightened public sensitivity over gas safety following several incidents in recent years involving gas leaks and explosions in Karachi.

In April this year, a local court held SSGC responsible for negligence in connection with a 2022 gas explosion in Orangi Town’s Millat Colony, which claimed the lives of two residents. The court directed the company to pay Rs30 million in compensation to the affected family after concluding that repeated complaints about gas leakage had not been addressed adequately.

Against that backdrop, Sunday’s reports of a strong gas smell quickly attracted public attention and triggered concerns on social media.

SSGC said it remains committed to maintaining a safe and reliable gas distribution system and advised consumers to report any actual signs of leakage, such as hissing sounds or damaged pipelines, through its emergency helpline. The company added that technical teams would continue monitoring the network while pipeline commissioning and testing activities are completed.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Dylan Sprouse finally reveals how he met wife Barb…

    Dylan Sprouse has opened up about the story behind his first meeting with his wife, model Barbara Palvin, revealing how their relationship began years before they eventually got married. The 34-year-old actor discussed his relationship with Palvin during the Tuesday, August 4 episode of Amanda Hirsch’s Not Skinny But Not Fat podcast. Sprouse looked back on their first encounter in 2017 and shared details about how the pair initially crossed paths. Sprouse and Palvin have now been married for three years, but their romance did not begin with an immediate relationship. Instead, their first meeting happened through a professional connection that eventually developed into something much more personal. How Dylan and Barbara first met During the podcast appearance, Sprouse explained that he first met Palvin after being introduced to her through mutual connections. At the time, the two were beginning to get to know each other, although neither could have known that the meeting would eventually lead to marriage. Sprouse recalled being interested in Palvin from the beginning, but their relationship developed gradually. The actor has previously described their early connection as something that grew naturally rather than happening overnight. Palvin, meanwhile, has also spoken about their early relationship and the way they stayed connected after meeting. Their romance eventually became public in 2018, when the pair began appearing together at events and sharing glimpses of their relationship with fans. From dating to marriage After several years together, Sprouse and Palvin took their relationship to the next level. The couple became engaged in 2023 and married later that year in an intimate ceremony in Hungary. The wedding was especially meaningful for Palvin because it took place in her home country. The couple celebrated with family and close friends, keeping many details of the ceremony private. Since getting married, Sprouse and Palvin have continued to support each other’s careers while maintaining a relatively low-key personal life. Although both have major careers in entertainment and fashion, they often choose to keep their relationship away from the constant attention of Hollywood. Looking back at their beginning For Sprouse, revisiting their first meeting offers a glimpse into how an unexpected introduction can eventually become a lasting relationship. What began with a meeting in 2017 ultimately grew into a romance, an engagement and a marriage. Now, nearly a decade after they first crossed paths, Sprouse and Palvin have built a life together while continuing to pursue their individual careers. The actor’s recent comments also give fans a rare look at the early days of a relationship that has remained one of Hollywood’s more enduring celebrity romances.

  • |

    USS George Washington heads to Middle East as Linc…

    WASHINGTON: The United States is preparing to send the aircraft carrier USS George Washington to the Middle East, where it is expected to replace the USS Abraham Lincoln after the carrier’s unusually long deployment in the region. The planned rotation comes as the United States remains deeply engaged in the ongoing conflict and heightened tensions with Iran, making the movement of another US carrier into the region closely watched. According to a Wall Street Journal report, the deployment plan had been prepared before the latest developments highlighted the difficulties facing the Abraham Lincoln and its crew. The planned handover, however, has underscored the growing strain on US Navy personnel and warships operating at sea for extended periods. Lincoln’s extraordinary deployment The USS Abraham Lincoln has been deployed in the region for more than eight months and has reportedly gone around 200 days without a port call. That is far longer than the typical schedule for a carrier, which would normally be expected to make a port visit after roughly 30 to 45 days. The prolonged deployment reflects the extraordinary operational demands created by the conflict and continuing instability across the Middle East. For the Lincoln’s crew, the arrival of a replacement carrier could provide an opportunity for rest and recovery after months of sustained operations. Washington moves west The USS George Washington had been operating in the western Pacific and recently visited Vietnam before beginning its journey towards the Middle East. The carrier has been moving west through the Strait of Malacca, before continuing across the Indian Ocean towards the Middle East. Its deployment is expected to maintain continuity in the US Navy’s carrier presence while allowing the Abraham Lincoln to leave the region. Aircraft carriers are among the US Navy’s most important military assets. They function as mobile bases at sea, carrying fighter aircraft, helicopters and other equipment capable of supporting operations far from US territory. Their mobility allows Washington to maintain airpower without relying entirely on land-based facilities in countries near a conflict zone. New carrier presence draws attention The arrival of the George Washington comes at a particularly sensitive moment. With tensions between Washington and Tehran remaining high and military operations continuing, the movement of a US carrier is likely to attract close attention from regional governments and military planners. The Navy’s immediate objective is understood to be maintaining an uninterrupted carrier presence rather than creating a completely new deployment structure. Still, the rotation highlights the pressures created by prolonged wartime deployments. For the United States, keeping powerful naval assets in the region provides strategic flexibility. For sailors aboard the Abraham Lincoln, however, the arrival of the George Washington could finally offer a long-awaited chance to return home and recover after one of the carrier’s most demanding deployments.

  • |

    Lahore High Court rules abused women retain dower rights following divorce

    The Lahore High Court has ruled that a woman who seeks a divorce on the grounds of her husband’s cruelty, abuse, or marital misconduct is not automatically deprived of her right to receive her unpaid dower, known as haq mehr. Delivering the judgment, Justice Mohsin Akhtar Kayani dismissed a petition filed by a man challenging lower court decisions in Toba Tek Singh that awarded 50 percent of a deferred dower to his former wife, Nisha Shahid. The petitioner argued that under family law provisions, the court lacked a legal basis to grant dower following a khula dissolution. However, the High Court drew a clear distinction between a standard khula, where a woman seeks separation solely due to personal incompatibility, and a judicial dissolution triggered by a husband’s mistreatment. The court clarified that abuse encompasses physical violence as well as psychological, emotional, verbal, and economic misconduct, noting that a wife is not required to present formal medical reports or police filings to establish her claim. The ruling directed Family Courts to assess the underlying causes of a marital breakdown rather than stripping a woman of her dower rights purely because the separation is categorized as a khula. Additionally, the Lahore High Court recommended that the Punjab government and the Law and Justice Commission of Pakistan update relevant family laws to ensure clear determinations of fault in dower disputes.

  • | |

    Pakistan stands firmly with Saudi Arabia: PM

    Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has reaffirmed Pakistan’s full support for Saudi Arabia during a telephone conversation with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. The two leaders discussed the regional security situation, recent developments in the Middle East and the importance of maintaining peace and stability. During the conversation, the prime minister strongly condemned the recent Houthi attacks on Saudi oil tankers in the Red Sea. He described the attacks as unacceptable and said they were a clear violation of international law. He added that such actions pose a serious threat to international maritime security, commercial shipping and the free movement of global trade. Shehbaz Sharif said attacks targeting commercial vessels not only endanger regional stability but also threaten the global economy by disrupting vital shipping routes. He stressed that the international community must work together to ensure the safety of maritime trade and prevent further escalation in the region. The prime minister reaffirmed Pakistan’s complete solidarity with Saudi Arabia. He said he, Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir and the people of Pakistan stand firmly with the Saudi leadership and the brotherly people of the Kingdom during this challenging period. He emphasized that Pakistan fully supports Saudi Arabia’s efforts to safeguard its security and territorial integrity. Shehbaz Sharif also reiterated Pakistan’s unwavering commitment to the sovereignty, independence and prosperity of Saudi Arabia. He said the deep-rooted relationship between Islamabad and Riyadh is based on shared faith, mutual respect and decades of close cooperation in political, economic and security matters. Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman thanked Pakistan for its consistent support and appreciated the strong brotherly ties between the two countries. He acknowledged Pakistan’s continued commitment to regional peace and stability. The prime minister conveyed his best wishes to King Salman bin Abdulaziz, Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, and expressed hope for his continued good health and well-being. Shehbaz Sharif also stressed that Pakistan would continue cooperating with Saudi Arabia and the international community to promote peace, security and stability across the Middle East. He emphasized the importance of ensuring uninterrupted maritime traffic through the Red Sea and the Strait of Hormuz, saying these waterways are critical for global trade, energy supplies and international economic stability.

  • | | |

    Initial report suggests Mir Raza Ali was shot from…

    KARACHI: An initial medical report has reportedly indicated that businessman Mir Raza Ali sustained a gunshot wound from behind, while several signs of physical violence were also found on his body following his exhumation for a fresh post-mortem examination. According to investigation sources, the preliminary report has addressed all 14 questions raised by police surgeon Dr Summaiya Syed during the medical examination. The findings reportedly include a gunshot injury to the rear of the body, fractured ribs and multiple injuries to Ali’s head and face. The report also noted marks of violence on different parts of the deceased’s body. However, investigators have yet to officially receive the medical findings. SSP SIU Samiullah Somroo, who is leading the police investigation, said the investigation team had not been informed about the report or its findings. The exhumation process lasted around three hours and was conducted under the supervision of forensic experts. During the procedure, 17 samples were collected from the body for further examination. Four samples were preserved for DNA testing, while the remaining samples were collected for chemical analysis. Two additional reference samples were obtained from Ali’s parents to assist with DNA matching. Investigators said the collected samples have been preserved and will be submitted to the forensic laboratory at the University of Karachi on Monday. The chemical and DNA examination reports are expected to be available within three to four days. Ali’s body was exhumed earlier as part of efforts to determine the circumstances surrounding his death. After the medical examination was completed, his remains were reburied at a graveyard near Tariq Road. Ali, an IBA graduate and businessman, had returned home from his shop on the night of July 28. He later left the house again, telling his family that he would return within 10 minutes. He did not return, and his body was subsequently recovered from Gulistan-e-Jauhar. His father, Mir Hussain, has maintained that his son was murdered and rejected suggestions that he died by suicide. During the latest proceedings, members of the medical board collected various samples from Ali’s grave as part of the renewed examination. His family members and their lawyer, Jibran Nasir, were present at the graveyard, while a heavy police contingent was deployed to maintain security. The authorities had restored the original eight-member medical board responsible for supervising the exhumation after the family objected to the replacement of the panel with a five-member board. The disagreement had earlier prevented officials from carrying out the scheduled exhumation. Mir Hussain later said he was satisfied with the latest proceedings. He expressed hope that the fresh examination would provide clarity about what happened to his son. The family has also alleged that a fake audio recording attributed to Ali was circulated in an attempt to influence the case and create confusion around the circumstances of his death. The family’s lawyer had earlier raised concerns about changes to the medical board and questioned the decision to replace the original panel. He later said the family was satisfied with the renewed proceedings, which were conducted in the presence of the judicial magistrate, investigation officer and members of the medical team.

  • Thai Marines Reclaim Border Zone in Trat After Sustained Clashes

    BANGKOK – Royal Thai Navy marines have secured the border area of Ban Nong Ri in Trat province following several days of fighting, successfully expelling Cambodian forces from what Thailand asserts is its sovereign territory. The navy confirmed the operation on Wednesday. Thai Soldier Death Toll Reaches 19 as Border Conflict Escalates Spokesman Rear Admiral […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *