yami gautam recalls
| |

Yami Gautam recalls nearly quitting Bollywood

Actor Yami Gautam has revealed that she was once on the verge of leaving Bollywood after years of struggling to find meaningful roles despite the success of her debut film. In a recent interview, the Vicky Donor star reflected on one of the most difficult phases of her career, admitting that she had almost returned to her hometown in Himachal Pradesh before her breakthrough with Uri: The Surgical Strike changed everything.
Gautam made her Bollywood debut opposite Ayushmann Khurrana in the 2012 hit Vicky Donor. Although the film was well received, she said the success did not translate into the kind of opportunities she had hoped for. Instead, she spent years waiting for substantial roles while being labelled an “unconventional” actress because she had not been introduced as a typical Bollywood heroine.
Recalling that difficult period, Gautam told Filmfare:
“Just before Uri and Bala, I had made peace with leaving the industry altogether. I thought I’d return to Himachal. We have farmland there. I imagined beginning a completely different life. My parents were incredibly supportive. They simply said, ‘Come home.’”
The actress explained that she had become disheartened by the lack of opportunities and had accepted the possibility of stepping away from acting altogether.
However, everything changed when she was cast opposite Vicky Kaushal in the 2019 blockbuster Uri: The Surgical Strike. The film proved to be a turning point in her career and restored her confidence in the industry.
She recalled:
“And strangely, the moment I stopped clinging to the industry out of fear, everything changed. Uri happened. Bala happened. Life changed almost overnight.”
During the interview, Gautam also spoke candidly about the challenges of being an outsider in Bollywood. While she said she never viewed being an outsider as the biggest obstacle, she admitted that constantly having to prove herself was emotionally exhausting.
She said:
“The difficult part wasn’t being an outsider. It was constantly having to prove yourself. Sometimes you’d feel you were ready for a particular opportunity, yet someone else would receive repeated chances simply because they already belonged to the ecosystem.”
The Article 370 actor noted that star children often receive multiple opportunities even after unsuccessful projects, while outsiders frequently have to wait years for a single meaningful role.
She added:
“You’d think, If I were given that many opportunities, wouldn’t I also continue growing as an actor? That was the real frustration.”
Despite those experiences, Gautam believes the industry has evolved in recent years and that audiences are placing greater importance on talent rather than background.
She concluded:
“But I genuinely believe things have changed. Today, audiences don’t care where you come from. They care whether you’re a good actor. Whether your films are worth watching. Whether they trust your choices. That gives me tremendous hope for the next generation.”
On the personal front, Yami Gautam married Uri: The Surgical Strike director Aditya Dhar on June 4, 2021. The couple welcomed their first child, a son named Vedavid, on May 10, 2024. Today, Gautam is regarded as one of Bollywood’s most respected performers, with her journey serving as an example of perseverance despite years of setbacks. 

Similar Posts

  • |

    Systemic coronial delays finally end as remains of Bikram Lama are repatriated from Sydney

    Eight months after his tragic death, the remains of thirty-two-year-old former international student Bikram Lama are finally being prepared for repatriation to his family in Makwanpur, Nepal. Bikram, who had been sleeping rough near Sydney’s Hyde Park, passed away unobserved in December, prompting widespread public outrage and intense scrutiny over the systemic failures that leave non-residents trapped in homelessness. Following months of agonising waiting for his grieving seventy-one-year-old mother, Seti Maya Lama, the New South Wales coroner has released his body to a Sydney funeral service, allowing the family the opportunity to perform his final rites. The prolonged delay in returning Bikram’s body was initially prolonged by mandatory DNA verification procedures, but persistent backlogs within the New South Wales coronial system extended the ordeal for months after testing was completed. Legal experts and former judicial officials have highlighted the incident as evidence of flaws within the state’s coronial framework, citing a lack of dedicated police investigative units and poor inter-agency coordination. With financial assistance provided by community organisations, international students, and the Nepalese government, Bikram’s family is preparing to receive his remains, while frontline advocates continue to push for a formal inquest to address the underlying homelessness crisis.

  • |

    Anurag Kashyap’s T-shirt steals spotlight at dinner party

    Indian filmmaker Anurag Kashyap recently found himself at the centre of online attention after a casual dinner outing with filmmaker Imtiaz Ali and a group of friends. While the gathering brought together two well-known names from the Indian film industry, it was Kashyap’s unusual T-shirt that quickly became the main talking point on social media. Kashyap shared several pictures from the dinner on social media, giving fans a glimpse of the gathering. Alongside the photographs, he joked that although it was supposed to be a family dinner, his T-shirt ended up attracting more attention than anything else. The red T-shirt featured the words “dimagi nakal” prominently, followed by the phrase “been into this since my school days”. The unusual wording immediately caught the attention of social media users, particularly because it appeared to be a playful reference to the phrase “dimagi naxals”, which has recently featured in political discussions in India. Kashyap’s humorous choice of clothing quickly prompted a variety of reactions. Some users appreciated the filmmaker’s sense of humour and found the design amusing, while others were impressed enough to suggest that the T-shirt should be made available as merchandise. One social media user expressed admiration for the design and proudly referred to themselves as a “dimagi nakal”. Another directly encouraged Kashyap to consider launching merchandise featuring the slogan. Beyond the T-shirt, the dinner pictures also generated excitement because of Kashyap’s meeting with Imtiaz Ali. Fans were delighted to see the two acclaimed filmmakers together and filled the comments section with reactions to their reunion. The reference behind the T-shirt gained additional significance because the phrase “dimagi naxal” had recently become part of a political conversation following remarks made by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his Independence Day speech. The comment prompted reactions and debate across political and social circles. Meanwhile, Kashyap remains busy with several projects across the Indian film industry. He has been involved in directing, producing and acting in a number of films. His recent directorial work includes Nishaanchi, while he has also been associated with projects such as Bad Girl, Bandar and the Kannada film Vaghachipani. As an actor, Kashyap is also set to appear in the Telugu film Dacoit: A Love Story. Known for his distinctive filmmaking style and outspoken personality, he frequently attracts attention both for his creative work and his candid presence on social media.

  • | |

    EU plans sweeping new sanctions on Russia

    The European Union is preparing its most extensive round of sanctions against Russia since the war in Ukraine began, with the proposed measures aimed primarily at Moscow’s military-industrial complex. EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas told German newspaper Die Welt that the new sanctions would significantly increase pressure on Russia and could raise the number of sanctioned Russian individuals and entities by about one-third. EU diplomatic sources said the European External Action Service is expected to propose sanctions against around 1,600 people and entities linked to Russia’s defence sector. The proposed measures would include asset freezes as well as travel and transaction restrictions. The EU has already sanctioned nearly 3,000 Russian individuals and companies. According to EU diplomatic sources, the new list could be presented to member states in early September, with formal adoption targeted for October. Unlike broader sanctions packages, the proposed designations are not expected to include new sector-wide restrictions, a move intended to speed up approval. Kallas said the EU would continue increasing economic pressure until Moscow ends its war in Ukraine. However, EU sanctions require unanimous approval from all member states, and previous measures have faced delays because of disagreements among countries. The latest move comes as the EU seeks to strengthen its pressure on Russia while avoiding the lengthy disputes that have complicated previous sanctions packages.

  • | | |

    Iran claims 200+ US troops killed as Tehran warns …

    TEHRAN: Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) has claimed that more than 200 US military personnel were killed and many others wounded during Iranian retaliatory attacks amid the latest escalation between Tehran and Washington. The claim, however, has not been independently verified, and no immediate confirmation or denial of the reported US casualties was available from American officials. IRGC spokesman Brigadier General Hossein Mohebbi rejected figures released by Washington, arguing that they did not reflect the full extent of losses suffered by US forces during the conflict. Speaking to Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency, Mohebbi said Iranian forces had targeted US military facilities across the region. He claimed that eight American military centers were struck and that around 20 protective shelters at one location were destroyed. The IRGC spokesman challenged Washington to allow journalists access to the affected military sites, saying such visits would reveal the extent of the damage. He accused US authorities of withholding information about casualties and military losses. Iran claims major US aircraft losses Mohebbi also claimed that Iranian attacks during roughly two weeks of fighting destroyed 11 US warplanes and helicopters on the ground. According to the IRGC account, the reported losses included an F-15 fighter jet, a P-8 maritime patrol aircraft, a C-17 transport aircraft and eight aerial refueling planes. Iran also claimed that 17 reconnaissance and operational drones were destroyed, including eight described as brand-new. The claims represent a potentially significant escalation in Tehran’s portrayal of the conflict. Independent confirmation of the reported aircraft losses has not emerged, and the locations of the alleged strikes have not been publicly specified. The statements came as tensions between Iran and the United States remained high, even as diplomatic contacts appeared to be continuing. Reports indicate that Washington and Tehran have exchanged messages through intermediaries, although major differences and deep mistrust remain. IRGC issues warning to Israel Iran also issued a fresh warning to Israel, saying Tel Aviv could face serious consequences if it re-enters the conflict. The IRGC said Iranian forces were closely monitoring the possibility of Israeli involvement and had prepared their strategy accordingly. The latest claims add another layer of uncertainty to an already volatile situation. With casualty figures and battlefield damage disputed by the opposing sides, the coming days could determine whether the confrontation moves toward diplomacy—or another dangerous round of escalation.

  • | | |

    Body fat new study reveals its crucial role in met…

    A new scientific study has highlighted that body fat is much more than a source of extra weight. Researchers say fat tissue functions as an essential organ that helps regulate metabolism, stores energy, and produces hormones needed for the body’s normal functioning. According to the researchers, while excessive body fat is widely associated with conditions such as diabetes and heart disease, having too little body fat can also pose serious health risks. The findings suggest that maintaining a healthy balance of body fat is important for overall metabolic health. The study focused on a rare inherited disorder known as Familial Partial Lipodystrophy Type 2 (FPLD2). People with this condition lose fat from specific parts of the body or experience abnormal fat distribution, increasing their risk of diabetes and other metabolic disorders. A research team led by American endocrinologist Dr. Elif Oral examined patients with the condition and found that affected fat cells develop significant structural and functional abnormalities. These changes can disrupt the body’s metabolism and contribute to a range of health complications. To better understand the disease, scientists created a mouse model in which the Lamin A/C gene was switched off only in fat cells. This is the same gene known to be affected in individuals with FPLD2. The model allowed researchers to closely examine how defects in fat tissue influence the body’s metabolic processes. Researchers believe the findings could improve understanding of rare fat disorders while also opening new avenues for the development of treatments for diabetes and other metabolic diseases. The study reinforces the idea that healthy fat tissue plays a vital role in maintaining the body’s balance and overall well-being.

  • | |

    Houthis claim missile and drone attack on Saudi oil tankers

    Yemen’s Houthi movement has claimed responsibility for attacking two Saudi oil tankers in the Red Sea, marking a major escalation in regional tensions and raising fresh concerns over the security of one of the world’s busiest maritime trade routes. Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Saree said the group targeted the tankers, identified as ENCELA and LAYLIA, because they allegedly violated the maritime blockade the Houthis imposed on Saudi Arabia earlier this week. According to the spokesperson, the operation involved ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and drones. He claimed the strikes caused fires aboard both vessels and forced nearly 10 other commercial ships to abandon their planned routes and turn back. Saudi authorities have not officially commented on the Houthi claims. However, the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO), which monitors maritime security in the region, confirmed receiving a report from the captain of a tanker that an unidentified projectile had struck the vessel, sparking a fire. The crew managed to respond to the incident, and no casualties or environmental damage have been reported. The attack comes just days after the Houthis announced a maritime blockade against Saudi Arabia, saying the move was retaliation for recent military actions in Yemen. The group accused Riyadh of maintaining a long-standing blockade on areas under Houthi control and vowed to respond with similar measures at sea. The latest developments have increased fears over shipping through the Red Sea and the Bab al-Mandeb Strait, a strategic waterway linking the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden. The route is vital for global energy supplies and international trade, carrying millions of barrels of crude oil and petroleum products every day. Shipping security in the region has already been under pressure because of wider Middle East tensions. Any prolonged disruption in the Bab al-Mandeb Strait could further affect global oil markets, increase transport costs and delay commercial shipping.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *