fazlur rehman urges
| |

Fazlur Rehman urges dialogue to end AJK crisis

 

Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman has urged the federal government to address the ongoing unrest in Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) through dialogue, stressing that reconciliation is the only path to a lasting solution.

In a video message shared on the party’s X account on Saturday, Fazlur Rehman called on the government and state institutions to recognise the seriousness of the situation instead of responding with force. He said authorities should work to restore peace and stability rather than allowing further bloodshed.

“The government and state institutions must understand the gravity of the crisis. Instead of turning our homeland into a place of violence, they should focus on healing divisions through meaningful dialogue,” he said.

His remarks came after violent clashes were reported in Rawalakot between law enforcement personnel and protesters affiliated with the banned Jammu and Kashmir Awami Action Committee (JAAC). Reports circulating on social media claimed multiple casualties and injuries, with both security officials and the JAAC alleging loss of lives.

Fazlur Rehman said the JAAC’s sit-in had continued for more than two months. He recalled that after tensions intensified on June 5, the committee had formally requested him to mediate between the protesters and the government. According to him, he accepted the role and remained in contact with both sides through JUI-F AJK chief Maulana Saeed Yousaf Khan and Sardar Kamran Azam Khan.

The JUI-F chief expressed concern over the situation faced by residents of AJK, saying people expect their government to protect them rather than leave them living in fear. He alleged that women, children and families had endured months of insecurity while the authorities failed to address their concerns.

He further claimed that force had been used against unarmed protesters and alleged that, according to the information available to him, the death toll had reached around 80 people. However, no official confirmation has been issued regarding that figure.

Despite the violence, Fazlur Rehman appealed to the JAAC leadership and protesters to remain peaceful and avoid any action that could worsen the situation. He urged them to allow more time for mediation efforts, expressing hope that a fair and lasting political settlement could still be achieved.

He also criticised the government’s approach, claiming that although the protesters had shown confidence in his mediation efforts, the authorities had not taken the initiative seriously and had instead relied on force rather than negotiations.

Warning of wider implications, Fazlur Rehman said the movement had gained support across Kashmir as well as among Pakistanis and the Kashmiri diaspora, particularly in Europe.

The recent violence has drawn condemnation from political parties and human rights organisations. The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) expressed deep concern over reports of deaths and injuries, stressing that maintaining law and order should never come at the expense of the right to life or the freedoms of peaceful assembly and expression. The commission called for a prompt, impartial and independent investigation into the incidents.

Opposition parties, including PTI, also demanded an independent judicial inquiry into the clashes, while other political groups criticised what they described as the excessive use of force against protesters.

The current dispute is linked to long-standing demands by the JAAC, which has been seeking constitutional and governance reforms in AJK. Among its key demands are the abolition of 12 reserved seats in the AJK Legislative Assembly allocated to Kashmiri refugees and the removal of the existing quota system. Although the government and the JAAC reached an agreement after protests last year to establish a high-level committee to review the issue of refugee seats, negotiations have since stalled. The JAAC continues to insist on abolishing the reserved seats, while the government remains opposed to the proposal.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Pakistan wheat import faces Sindh opposition

    The Sindh government has strongly opposed the federal government’s decision to import wheat, warning that the move could hurt local farmers and weaken the domestic agriculture sector. Sindh Food Minister Makhdoom Mehboob-uz-Zaman said the province does not support wheat imports at a time when the country already has sufficient local production. He argued that bringing in imported wheat would reduce demand for locally grown crops and create financial difficulties for farmers who are already struggling with rising production costs. The minister also criticized the Punjab government for restricting the inter-provincial movement of wheat. According to him, Punjab currently has a surplus of around seven million metric tons of wheat, while Sindh faces a shortfall of nearly one million metric tons. He said that easing the movement of wheat between provinces would help address supply gaps without relying on imports. Makhdoom Mehboob-uz-Zaman added that the Sindh government plans to purchase wheat from the Pakistan Agricultural Storage and Services Corporation (PASSCO) to meet the province’s procurement target. He stressed that local resources should be utilized before considering foreign imports. Commenting on flour prices, the food minister said wheat flour in Karachi is currently selling between Rs130 and Rs140 per kilogram. He maintained that better coordination between the federal and provincial governments, along with the efficient distribution of locally available wheat, would help stabilize supplies and protect the interests of both consumers and farmers.

  • |

    Senate seeks review of IPP deals over rising power costs

    Islamabad: Independent Power Producers (IPPs) faced strong criticism in the Senate after lawmakers raised serious concerns over billions of rupees paid as capacity payments to power plants that are not fully operational, calling the practice an unnecessary burden on electricity consumers. The issue was discussed during a meeting of the Senate Standing Committee on Cabinet Secretariat, where members questioned the impact of IPP agreements on electricity prices and demanded a complete review of power generation contracts. The committee expressed concern that consumers are paying for electricity capacity even when some power plants are not producing electricity according to expectations. Members said such payments increase the cost of electricity and place additional pressure on ordinary citizens already facing high power bills. The committee directed the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (NEPRA) to provide complete details of all Independent Power Producers, including their electricity tariffs, generation capacity, installation costs and rate analysis. The committee chairman stressed that electricity prices must be reviewed and unnecessary costs should be removed to provide relief to consumers. The committee also discussed whether some IPPs had affected the government’s solar energy policy. Members observed that certain power producers had, apparently, created difficulties for the promotion of solar energy initiatives and questioned whether existing agreements were supporting or limiting cheaper energy options. The committee demanded transparency in tariff decisions and questioned why NEPRA had not provided complete tariff determination details despite repeated directions. Lawmakers said clear information was necessary to understand how electricity prices are decided and why consumers continue to face expensive power bills. The committee also discussed imported coal and RLNG based power plants installed in Punjab instead of coastal areas. Officials explained that these plants were established near major electricity demand areas to improve supply efficiency. However, the committee directed NEPRA to provide a detailed comparison of all power projects so that lawmakers could examine costs, benefits and long term impact. The chairman said the government should consider renegotiating IPP agreements where necessary and review contracts of projects that are no longer useful. He said reducing electricity prices requires serious decisions and better management of power sector agreements. The meeting was chaired by Senator Rana Mahmood Ul Hassan and attended by Senators Mohammed Abdul Qadir and Aimal Wali Khan, while other members participated in person and online. The committee also reviewed issues related to circular debt, which remains one of the biggest challenges facing Pakistan’s power sector. Members said increasing electricity costs and financial problems in the energy sector require immediate attention because they directly affect households, businesses and the national economy. The committee’s discussion highlighted concerns over the relationship between power generation costs, IPP agreements and electricity bills paid by consumers. Members called for accountability, transparency and a detailed examination of agreements to ensure that the electricity system works in the public interest. The committee will continue reviewing IPP agreements and related energy sector issues in upcoming

  • |

    Tourist plane crash in Peru kills 13

    LIMA: A tourist aircraft crashed in southern Peru on Saturday, killing all 13 people on board during a sightseeing flight over the world-famous Nazca Lines, authorities confirmed. The aircraft, identified as a Cessna Caravan C-208, was carrying 11 foreign tourists and two pilots when it went down near the Nazca archaeological site shortly after taking off from Pisco Airport. According to officials, the passengers included seven Italian nationals, two Germans and two Spaniards. Emergency responders rushed to the crash site, but there were no survivors. Police and rescue teams launched recovery operations immediately after the accident. Authorities said the impact completely destroyed the aircraft, making rescue efforts impossible. Investigators have begun examining the wreckage to determine what caused the crash. The Nazca Lines, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, attract thousands of visitors every year. The enormous ancient geoglyphs, etched into the desert more than 1,500 years ago, are best viewed from the air, making sightseeing flights a popular tourist activity. Local authorities expressed deep sorrow over the tragedy and extended condolences to the victims’ families. The airline operating the flight said it would cooperate fully with investigators and review its flight operations in line with directives from aviation authorities. The accident is the latest in a series of aviation incidents involving sightseeing flights over the Nazca Lines. Similar crashes in previous years have raised concerns about the safety of tourist flights in the region. Officials said a full investigation is underway to establish the exact circumstances behind the fatal crash.

  • |

    PTI will win even if Pakistan has 100 provinces, B…

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Barrister Gohar Ali Khan on Friday launched a sharp criticism of the country’s ruling coalition, claiming that administrative reforms or the creation of new provinces would not weaken his party’s political strength. Speaking to reporters outside Parliament House, Gohar said the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) and the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) lacked both the political will and public mandate to introduce major constitutional changes, including the formation of new administrative units or provinces. “You may create 100 provinces, but PTI will still emerge victorious across the country because the people stand with Imran Khan,” Gohar said, asserting that the former prime minister continues to enjoy overwhelming public support. The PTI chairman also commented on the health of Bushra Bibi, saying she had recently been shifted to hospital for an eye examination before being returned to Adiala Jail. He said he was informed about her transfer only after she had already been taken to the hospital. Responding to speculation about political contacts, Gohar denied having any communication with Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi or PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari. He questioned the government’s handling of national affairs and urged authorities to explain what had led the country’s governance system into what he described as a “default mode.” Turning to the judiciary, Gohar argued that recent constitutional amendments had failed to improve the justice system despite the appointment of dozens of additional judges. He claimed public confidence in judicial institutions had declined and called for reforms based on consensus rather than political interests. The PTI leader further alleged that the ruling parties were considering administrative restructuring to weaken the opposition. He insisted that constitutional amendments should not be introduced without broad political agreement. Gohar also criticised the PPP, accusing it of remaining silent on national issues while focusing on political gains. He repeated PTI’s longstanding allegations regarding the 2024 general elections and challenged the PPP leadership to a public debate over disputed electoral seats, including constituencies in Karachi. His remarks come amid renewed political debate over constitutional reforms, governance and the country’s evolving political landscape, with both the government and opposition continuing to exchange sharp criticism over electoral legitimacy and institutional performance.

  • |

    Anti-US protest greets Rubio at ASEAN Summit

    Protesters demonstrated against US Secretary of State Marco Rubio during the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting in the Philippines, calling for an end to what they described as America’s war against Iran. According to reports from Manila, the protest took place while Rubio was attending the regional diplomatic gathering. Demonstrators gathered near the venue carrying banners and chanting slogans criticizing US foreign policy and military actions. The protesters urged the United States to stop its military campaign against Iran and called for peace in the region. They also appealed to the Philippine government not to become involved in any US-led military conflict. Police set up barricades around the meeting venue and prevented demonstrators from approaching the site where ASEAN foreign ministers were holding discussions. Security remained tight throughout the event, and no major clashes were reported. The protest coincided with high-level regional meetings attended by foreign ministers from ASEAN member states and dialogue partners, where regional security and international issues were among the key topics of discussion.

  • |

    PSL wraps up season 11 review, sets sights on edition 12

    The Pakistan Super League management met with all eight franchise owners this week and the purpose behind it was simple. They wanted to review how season 11 went, and to look ahead at what comes next. PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi led the session. Several key officials joined him. These included PSL CEO Salman Naseer and PCB CFO Javed Murtaza. PSL Director Usman Wahla was also present. So were Senior Manager Hijab Zahid and Manager Operations Usman Tasleem, along with a few others. The meeting was not just about looking back. It also became a space for brainstorming. Officials discussed several off-season and pre-season activities. The goal is to keep fans engaged during the break. A big part of the discussion focused on what made season 11 special. Officials pointed to new additions in broadcast and fan engagement. They also praised the overall quality of cricket across all 44 matches. Viewership numbers came up too. The season saw strong engagement across social media, streaming platforms and television. More specific numbers are expected to be released soon. Planning for the future took up a large chunk of the meeting as well. Stakeholders discussed the playing window for PSL 12. They also touched on early scheduling ideas. However, full details will likely only be revealed after the PSL Governing Council meets in late August. The group also reflected on how far the league has come. Two new franchises joined this season. At the same time, three existing teams changed ownership. The tournament was held at just two venues this year, a decision made under unusual circumstances. It also ran in a new scheduling window for the second year running. Looking ahead, PSL confirmed a new initiative. It plans to launch a merchandise platform alongside the franchises. This will let fans, both at home and abroad, buy official gear. That includes merchandise from all eight participating teams. To keep the momentum going, more workshop sessions have now been planned. These will focus on finalising the schedule. Player retentions and direct signings will also be discussed. So will a fresh review of playing conditions for the next season. With season 11 now wrapped up, all eyes are already on what comes next. Officials say the goal is to build on this year’s success. The aim is to make PSL 12 an even bigger draw for fans everywhere.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *