sri lanka women
| | |

Sri Lanka women beat Pakistan by six wickets in fi…

Sri Lanka Women began their three-match T20 International series against Pakistan Women with an impressive six-wicket victory in the opening match played in Dambulla on Friday.

After winning the toss and batting first, Pakistan Women posted a competitive total of 176 for 7 in their allotted 20 overs. The visitors produced an aggressive batting display, with key contributions from the top and middle order helping them set a challenging target of 177 runs.

Despite the strong total, Sri Lanka Women responded confidently with an outstanding batting performance. The hosts maintained a steady scoring rate throughout the innings and successfully chased down the target in just 19 overs, losing only four wickets in the process.

Sri Lanka’s batters dominated the chase with positive stroke play and well-built partnerships, keeping the required run rate under control from the outset. Pakistan’s bowlers struggled to make regular breakthroughs as the home side continued to build momentum and eventually crossed the finish line with an over to spare.

The victory gives Sri Lanka a 1-0 lead in the three-match T20I series and provides the hosts with early momentum heading into the remaining fixtures. Pakistan, meanwhile, will look to regroup and improve its bowling performance in the second T20 as it aims to level the series.

Although Pakistan’s batting unit delivered a competitive total, the team was unable to defend it against Sri Lanka’s disciplined and attacking batting approach. The result highlights the strength of Sri Lanka’s batting lineup and sets the stage for an exciting contest in the upcoming matches.

With two games still to be played, the series remains open, and both teams will be eager to secure crucial victories. Pakistan Women will focus on tightening their bowling and fielding, while Sri Lanka Women will aim to continue their winning form and wrap up the series.

Cricket fans can expect another competitive encounter as the two sides meet in the second T20, with Pakistan looking to bounce back and Sri Lanka seeking to extend its lead in the series.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Teacher injured as roof plaster of school caves in

    SUJAWAL:* In a disturbing incident on Wednesday morning, a teacher of Government Boys High School, Begna Mori, within Taluka Jati of District Sujawal, was injured when cement plaster from the staff room fell on him. According to the Senior Head Master of the School, Aziz Allah Dino Khowaja, Junior Elementary School Teacher Fayyaz Zaur was present in the staff room, working on an official assignment, when the roof plaster fell on his head, leaving him critically injured. “As the blood started oozing from his head, we took him to Basic Health Unit Begna Mori for treatment,” said the Senior Head Master, adding that after treatment, the condition of the teacher had become stable. School Teacher Abid Inayat disclosed that the tender for the school’s refurbishment had been passed, and the contractor had demolished a portion of the school comprising three classrooms, but a few months ago he abruptly stopped the renovation work and has been evading resuming work. “Multiple efforts have been made to contact the missing contractor, but he is evading a response,” the teacher said. He further disclosed that the lives of 22 teachers, over a hundred students, and the lower staff had been at stake owing to the ramshackle condition of the building. The school, he said, is one of the schools with high enrollment, and such an incident would leave an adverse effect on the newcomers. The Head Master mentioned that they had approached the District Education Officer (Secondary), Sujawal, and other concerned authorities to ensure the safety of children, but to no avail. He urged the Sindh Minister for Education, Syed Sardar Ali Shah, to take speedy measures for resuming the renovation work of the school and to conduct a thorough probe against the fleeing contractor.

  • | | | | |

    Iran warns US of retaliation if nuclear sites are …

    TEHRAN: Iran has issued a fresh and stern warning to the United States, declaring that any military strike on its nuclear facilities would trigger a direct response against American interests and those of its allies across the Middle East, raising fears of a wider regional conflict. The warning came on Tuesday from Iran’s Khatam al-Anbiya Central Headquarters, the country’s top joint military command, amid growing tensions following recent statements by US President Donald Trump. In an official statement, the military command said that any attack targeting Iran’s nuclear infrastructure would not remain limited in scope and would instead lead to a dangerous expansion of conflict throughout the region. Iranian commanders stressed that the United States and its regional allies would bear the consequences of such military action, warning that their strategic interests could become legitimate targets if Iranian nuclear sites were attacked. The latest warning follows remarks by President Trump, who recently threatened military action against Iran’s nuclear facilities, particularly the underground nuclear complex near Natanz. Trump claimed that an attack on the site could happen soon and asserted that Iran would be unable to stop it. His comments have further heightened tensions between Washington and Tehran, which have remained locked in a prolonged confrontation over Iran’s nuclear programme and regional security issues. While Iranian officials insist their nuclear activities are for peaceful purposes, Western governments have repeatedly expressed concerns over Tehran’s uranium enrichment programme, leading to years of sanctions and diplomatic disputes. Security analysts believe that any direct strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities could dramatically escalate instability across the Middle East, potentially drawing multiple regional actors into a broader conflict and disrupting global energy markets. The latest exchange of threats underscores the fragile security situation in the region, with the international community closely monitoring developments amid growing fears that miscalculation by either side could spark a larger military confrontation.

  • EU Charges TikTok over child safety failures under digital rules

    The European Commission has issued preliminary findings accusing TikTok of breaching the EU’s Digital Services Act over how it protects children online. Regulators say TikTok’s account settings fall short of DSA safety standards, letting children make their accounts public and potentially exposing them to cyberbullying or contact from predators. The charges mark the fourth set of allegations against TikTok in two years, brought under a law that requires major tech platforms to do more to tackle illegal and harmful content. This latest finding zeroes in specifically on minors’ account settings. The Commission’s concerns do not stop at public accounts. Even private accounts are not fully safe, regulators say, since children can still be easily located through other users’ “following” and “followers” lists, visible even to people without a TikTok account. Investigators found that teens aged 13 to 15 could switch from private to public with little friction, while accounts belonging to 16 and 17-year-olds stayed visible to anyone online by default. TikTok has pushed back on the findings. The company said teen accounts come with more than 50 preset privacy and safety features, shaped by outside experts from the moment an account is created. It added that under-18 accounts are private by default, and that TikTok is among the only platforms where younger teens can not use direct messaging or have their posts surface in others’ feeds. The Commission wants stricter defaults going forward. It believes TikTok should adjust settings so that minors’ content is visible only to users the minor has specifically approved, rather than being public by default. TikTok now has a chance to respond before any final decision is made. The findings are preliminary, giving the company an opportunity to answer the allegations before the Commission issues a final ruling. If confirmed, TikTok could face fines of up to 6% of its global annual turnover. EU tech chief Henna Virkkunen framed the case as part of a broader principle. She said the Digital Services Act requires platforms to build protections for minors directly into how their services are designed, and holds them accountable when they fail to do so. A high level of protection, she added, should not be something users opt into, it should simply be the default. This is not TikTok’s only regulatory headache in Brussels. The platform is also facing separate EU scrutiny over allegedly addictive design features like infinite scroll and autoplay.

  • |

    Police Detain Two Suspects Possibly Linked to Missing Russian Siblings and Buried Motorcycle Near Pattaya

    CHONBURI, Thailand Tourism and immigration police on Thursday detained two suspects believed to have helped dig a pit to bury the dismantled remains of a motorcycle belonging to a pair of missing Russian siblings, while also assisting two other men in escaping a large-scale police cordon. The case involves Miss Diana Nazimova, 22, and her […]

  • | |

    Shehzad Roy and Tabish Hashmi to tour US for Zindagi Trust

    Singer, activist and philanthropist Shehzad Roy is heading to the United States next month, and this time he is bringing comedian and actor Tabish Hashmi along for the journey. The two have announced Zindagi Trust’s annual fundraising dinner tour, scheduled to take place across six American cities between September 18 and 25, with the aim of rallying support from the Pakistani diaspora for one of the country’s most pressing challenges: quality public education. Roy shared the announcement through a video posted on his Instagram account, speaking with the urgency and conviction that has come to define his advocacy work over many years. He was direct about what the tour was trying to achieve and why the Pakistani diaspora’s involvement matters. “That time is not far when people in Pakistan won’t have to beg for education, and parents will be able to send their children to government schools with confidence, knowing they will learn from the best local teachers,” Roy said. He also emphasised the structural reforms he believes are essential to getting there. “We also need proper licensing and qualifications for teachers,” he added. Speaking about the tour itself and what it would offer those who attend, Roy described it as an opportunity for supporters to understand the full picture of what Zindagi Trust has been doing on the ground. “We are coming to share how the organisation is changing the paradigm for government schools and government teachers,” he said. His invitation to the diaspora was direct and personal. “We will share everything that has been accomplished, what still needs to be done, and how each of you can play an integral part in this cause. So please be there,” he said. Roy also explained his decision to bring Hashmi along as a companion for the tour, offering what is clearly both a personal and strategic reason. “He is a great entertainer and will bring happiness into your lives. The reason I am bringing him is because he truly believes in our cause,” he said. The combination of Roy’s advocacy record and Hashmi’s ability to connect with audiences through humour and warmth suggests an event format designed to be as engaging as it is purposeful. The tour will take in Chicago, New Jersey, Washington, Dallas, Houston and San Francisco, covering a significant spread of cities with large Pakistani diaspora communities. Zindagi Trust was founded by Roy with the mission of transforming Pakistan’s public school system, improving access to quality education for children who would otherwise have no alternative, and raising the professional standing of government school teachers across the country. Over the years, Roy has remained one of Pakistan’s most persistent and credible voices on children’s rights and education reform, using his platform as an artist to keep the conversation alive in ways that formal advocacy alone rarely manages. The American tour represents an effort to extend that conversation beyond Pakistan’s borders and bring those who have left the country into a direct relationship with the work being done on the ground. For the communities in those six cities, September’s fundraising dinners will offer both an evening of entertainment and a meaningful opportunity to contribute to something real.

  • |

    Arizona police release ransom notes in ongoing search for abducted mother of US TV presenter Savannah Guthrie

    Police in Arizona have released the text of two ransom notes six months after the abduction of 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie, mother of prominent US television presenter Savannah Guthrie. The Pima County Sheriff’s Office made the decision to publish the communications in the hope that members of the public might recognise distinct linguistic patterns or writing habits attributable to the perpetrator. Nancy Guthrie was taken from her home near Tucson, Arizona, on 31 January. The first note, received by a local news station on 2 February, demanded $4 million in Bitcoin within five days, threatening that she would be killed if a total of $6 million was not paid by 9 February. The note included specific details regarding the crime scene, referencing a damaged backyard floodlight and a white smartwatch left on her bedroom floor. A second note arrived four days later, claiming that Nancy Guthrie had died from a heart-related condition shortly after her abduction and had been “buried in nature”. However, law enforcement officials stated they cannot confirm her death and continue to treat the investigation as an active missing persons and kidnapping case. Savannah Guthrie, who hosts NBC’s Today show, has released multiple public appeals urging the abductors to reveal the location of her mother’s remains so the family can bring her home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *