spain deploys military
|

Spain deploys military to Ceuta as thousands of migrants enter enclave from Morocco

Spain has deployed armed forces to reinforce civil guard units in its North African enclave of Ceuta after thousands of migrants swam around border jetties from Morocco, resulting in chaos and at least 15 drownings.

The influx follows a recent Spanish Supreme Court ruling prohibiting the summary return of migrants intercepted at sea, a move Spain’s interior ministry claims human trafficking networks have exploited to drive illegal crossings.

The sudden security breakdown has triggered a diplomatic dispute within Europe, with Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni announcing that Italy is considering suspending the open-border Schengen agreement with Spain in response to the crisis.

Spanish Foreign Minister José Luis Albares condemned the statement, accusing Italy of political demagoguery instead of displaying European solidarity. As local reception centres in Ceuta remain severely overwhelmed, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez pledged immediate government intervention to restore order along the European Union’s land border with Africa.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Indian officer suspended after firing rifle during student protest

    Indian authorities have suspended a police officer after he fired an AK-47 rifle into the air while attempting to disperse student protesters in the eastern state of Bihar. The incident has intensified criticism of the government’s handling of nationwide demonstrations that recently led to the resignation of Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan. The confrontation took place on Saturday in the city of Siwan, where students were protesting against alleged irregularities in national examinations and broader concerns about unemployment. Videos shared on social media showed a police officer in riot gear running toward a crowd of protesters before pointing his assault rifle into the air and firing at least three rounds. Police later confirmed that the footage was authentic. Senior Bihar police official Nilesh Kumar said no one was injured during the incident. He explained that the suspended officer belonged to an intelligence unit that normally deals with dangerous criminals and had been issued the rifle as part of his official duties. However, Kumar said the weapon was used inappropriately because the protesters were students and did not pose a threat that justified such action. He said the officer’s conduct could not be defended under any circumstances and confirmed that disciplinary proceedings had begun. According to Kumar, further action will be taken following an investigation into the incident. The protests began after question papers for a national medical college entrance examination were leaked in May. More than two million students had taken the exam before authorities were forced to order a retest because of the security breach. The controversy sparked widespread anger among young people who accused the government of failing to protect the integrity of the examination process. As demonstrations grew larger, students also began raising concerns about rising unemployment and fears that artificial intelligence could reduce future job opportunities, especially in India’s information technology and outsourcing sectors. These issues helped expand the movement beyond the examination scandal, drawing support from students across different parts of the country. Public pressure eventually led to the resignation of Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, who stepped down after nearly five weeks of protests. Despite the resignation, demonstrations have continued as students demand broader reforms and greater accountability from the government. The police response has faced increasing criticism. Officers have been accused of using excessive force against demonstrators, including beating students with batons and firing tear gas during a large march toward India’s parliament in New Delhi earlier this month. Human rights advocates and opposition leaders argue that authorities have responded too aggressively to mostly peaceful protests. Speaking in parliament, Congress Party president Mallikarjun Kharge condemned the police action and described it as one of the most serious attacks on democratic rights in recent years. He said reports that an assault rifle had been used against student protesters in Bihar were deeply troubling and called for those responsible to be held accountable. Parliamentary proceedings were repeatedly disrupted as opposition lawmakers raised the issue and demanded answers from the government. Ministers did not immediately respond before both houses were adjourned amid heated exchanges. The controversy also drew attention from India’s judiciary. Supreme Court Justice Ujjal Bhuyan expressed concern about what he described as the shrinking space for people to express different opinions in the country. In a public speech, he said the right to voice opinions and participate in peaceful demonstrations is a fundamental freedom guaranteed to every citizen. His remarks were seen as an unusual intervention by a sitting judge and added to growing calls for restraint in the handling of public protests.

  • | |

    Mahira Khan raises 180,000 pounds for Palestine

    Mahira Khan has never been a passive bystander when it comes to causes she believes in, and her latest trip to the United Kingdom has made that commitment tangible in a way that goes well beyond a social media post. The actress and UNHCR ambassador raised an extraordinary 180,000 pounds for Palestine through a series of fan meet and greet events held across the UK, with all proceeds donated directly to Palestinian relief efforts. Mahira has been among the most vocal Pakistani celebrities in speaking out about the situation in Gaza since the conflict intensified. Her advocacy has been consistent and public, spanning social media posts, interviews and now direct fundraising action that has translated her words into significant material support. The UK events were hosted by Haroon Rashid, who organised the meet and greets and shared a statement following their conclusion expressing the collective feeling of everyone involved. Mahira herself appeared in two beautiful looks across the events, meeting fans, taking photographs and spending time with the people who came out to support both her and the cause she was representing. The response from those who attended and from the wider public online has been overwhelmingly warm. Fans flooded social media with admiration and gratitude. “Love for Mahira,” wrote one follower. “Great work,” said another. A third simply noted how beautiful she looked throughout the events, a reminder that even in the midst of serious humanitarian advocacy, her public presence carries the kind of warmth and grace that has made her one of Pakistan’s most beloved figures for over a decade. The figure of 180,000 pounds is a remarkable achievement for a celebrity-led charitable initiative, and it reflects both the depth of feeling around the Palestine issue among the Pakistani diaspora in the UK and the genuine affection and respect that Mahira Khan commands from her fanbase across the world. Mahira Khan has been a UNHCR National Goodwill Ambassador since 2019, using her platform to advocate for refugees and vulnerable communities. Her Palestine fundraising adds another significant chapter to that record of humanitarian engagement, demonstrating that the commitments she expresses publicly are ones she is willing to back with real effort. For Pakistani audiences watching from home, the news of the fundraising total has prompted considerable pride. It is a reminder that the influence that comes with celebrity, when directed thoughtfully and consistently toward meaningful causes, can generate outcomes that go well beyond anything a single voice in an interview can achieve. Mahira Khan raised 180,000 pounds for Palestine not by speaking about the issue but by showing up in person, meeting her fans one by one, and turning that connection into something that will reach people who need it most.

  • |

    Olivia Culpo opens up about her C-section plan for baby number two

    Olivia Culpo is letting fans in on the details of her upcoming delivery, and the emotions that come with it. In a Get Ready With Me video shared on TikTok this Thursday, the 34-year-old model admitted she was struggling with a difficult goodbye, as her husband prepares to head back to work for the football season. Culpo explained that her husband, San Francisco 49ers running back Christian McCaffrey, was departing soon, and the timing was hitting her hard. She described the moment as overwhelming, saying everything felt like a lot to process at once. She then walked viewers through her birth plan. Since she underwent a C-section during her first delivery last July, a vaginal birth after cesarean, commonly known as VBAC, was never on the table this time around. A repeat C-section was the medically appropriate route going forward. What made this pregnancy trickier to plan, she explained, was coordinating around her husband’s demanding schedule. The couple managed to schedule the procedure on a day when McCaffrey’s commitments were comparatively lighter. That way, he would be able to be present for the birth itself, even if only briefly. Culpo noted that once the delivery is done, McCaffrey will need to head straight back to his team obligations, making this birth experience noticeably different from their first. There wi not be the same stretch of time together afterward that they had before. She also used the moment to clear up a common misunderstanding about the NFL calendar. Many assume the season kicks off in September when regular games begin, but Culpo pointed out that the reality is different. Training camp starts at the end of July, and from there, players move directly into the season without much of a gap. That overlapping timeline is exactly why her due date planning became such a delicate balancing act, requiring coordination between her medical team and her husband’s team schedule. Culpo and McCaffrey announced they were expecting their second child together back in May, sharing the news with fans who have closely followed their relationship since they began dating in 2019. The couple welcomed their first daughter in July of last year, and are now preparing to expand their family once again, this time navigating the added complexity of an NFL season starting right as their new baby arrives.

  • | | | |

    PM Shehbaz directs timely implementation of privat…

    Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has directed all relevant ministries and institutions to ensure the timely implementation of targets and deadlines under the government’s privatisation programme, stressing the need for close coordination to complete the process according to schedule. The directives were issued during a meeting held to review progress on the privatisation of state-owned enterprises. The meeting was informed that a total of 27 public sector organisations have been included in the government’s privatisation agenda, which is being carried out in three phases. During the briefing, officials updated the prime minister on the progress of the privatisation of Islamabad, Lahore and Karachi airports, as well as several major public sector entities. The meeting also reviewed the privatisation process of electricity distribution companies, including the Islamabad Electric Supply Company (IESCO), Faisalabad Electric Supply Company (FESCO), and Gujranwala Electric Power Company (GEPCO). Officials informed the prime minister that Expressions of Interest (EOIs) have already been invited for all three companies. The deadline for investors to submit documents for FESCO has been set for August 7, while submissions for GEPCO will close on August 21. The deadline for IESCO is September 7, 2026. The briefing noted that several international companies have expressed interest in acquiring the power distribution companies. Officials added that roadshows and engagement sessions with potential investors are continuing to attract further investment. Prime Minister Shehbaz also reviewed the proposed privatisation of the Zarai Taraqiati Bank Limited (ZTBL) and directed authorities to design the transaction in a way that preserves the bank’s vital role in supporting Pakistan’s agricultural sector. He emphasised that the bank should continue providing agricultural loans and financial services to farmers even after privatisation. The prime minister said farmers’ access to financial resources is essential for increasing crop yields and improving agricultural productivity. He further stated that agriculture remains a key pillar of Pakistan’s economy and plays a critical role in ensuring food security. Therefore, any privatisation model should safeguard the sector’s long-term interests while maintaining uninterrupted financial support for farmers.

  • |

    Health Professionals, Community leaders strongly condemn transfer of renowned surgeon

    THATTA — Senior medical professionals and community representatives have strongly condemned the sudden transfer of eminent surgeon Professor Dr. Mashooque Ali Hajani from Civil Hospital Makli to Civil Hospital Sujawal, calling the decision an unjustified move and a conspiracy against the hospital’s recent healthcare advancements. In a joint statement, prominent health leaders—including Dr. Sugra Parveen Uqaili, Dr. Ahmed Khan Zardari, Dr. Habib Jokhio, and Dr. Gul Qazi—expressed grave concern over the transfer, warning that it will derail the major improvements made in the Surgical Ward and cause severe hardship to poor and underprivileged patients who rely heavily on these services. The medical fraternity pointed out that prior to Dr. Hajani’s arrival, the surgical unit in Thatta District was severely under-resourced and largely limited to minor procedures such as circumcisions. Through Dr.Mashoque’s tireless dedication and technical expertise, the department was rebuilt into a fully functional unit capable of performing major and complex operations, including laparotomies, directly within the district. “The transfer of such a sincere, highly capable, and dedicated surgeon is detrimental to both the institution and the public interest,” the statement read. “Depriving Civil Hospital Makli of his services will only result in medical delays and hardship for patients who cannot afford private or out-of-district care.” The delegation has urgently appealed to the senior leadership of the Health Department and relevant authorities to immediately revoke the transfer order, allowing Professor Dr. Mashooque Ali Hajani to continue his transformative work at Civil Hospital Makli.

  • | |

    Pakistan removed from Lloyd’s war risk insur…

    Pakistan’s Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister, Ishaq Dar, has welcomed the decision by the Lloyd’s Market Association’s Joint War Committee to remove Pakistan from its list of regions classified as high-risk for war insurance. The announcement marks a significant development for the country’s maritime and trade sectors and is being viewed as a positive sign of increasing international confidence in Pakistan’s security and economic environment. Sharing his reaction on the social media platform X, Ishaq Dar described the decision as an important milestone that reflects the international community’s growing trust in Pakistan. He said the move demonstrates recognition of the country’s improving security situation and its continued efforts to strengthen economic stability and regional connectivity. The removal of Pakistan from the war risk insurance list is expected to provide several economic benefits. Ships entering Pakistani ports will no longer face the additional insurance premiums that are typically imposed on vessels operating in areas considered vulnerable to conflict or instability. As a result, shipping companies are likely to experience lower operational costs, making maritime trade with Pakistan more cost-effective and attractive. According to Ishaq Dar, reduced insurance expenses are expected to lower overall shipping costs, which will benefit both importers and exporters. Businesses engaged in international trade may see reduced transportation expenses, helping Pakistani products become more competitive in global markets while also decreasing the cost of imported goods. These developments could contribute to increased trade activity and support the country’s broader economic growth. The Deputy Prime Minister emphasized that the decision is not only an economic achievement but also a reflection of Pakistan’s improving international image. He noted that the country’s efforts to maintain stability, enhance security, and build stronger relations with international partners have helped restore confidence among global institutions and businesses. Ishaq Dar also expressed appreciation to the Lloyd’s Market Association for its constructive engagement throughout the review process. He acknowledged the organization’s professional approach and thanked its Joint War Committee for carefully assessing the situation before making its decision. He said the outcome reflects a balanced evaluation based on changing ground realities and demonstrates confidence in Pakistan’s progress. Industry experts believe that the removal of Pakistan from the war risk list could encourage greater commercial shipping activity at the country’s ports, including Karachi, Port Qasim, and Gwadar. Lower insurance costs may also attract more international shipping lines and investors, strengthening Pakistan’s position as an important regional trade hub. The development is expected to complement the government’s ongoing efforts to improve trade, attract foreign investment, and boost economic recovery. Reduced logistics costs could benefit multiple sectors of the economy, including manufacturing, agriculture, and exports, while creating a more favorable environment for business and investment. Overall, the decision by the Lloyd’s Market Association’s Joint War Committee is being regarded as a major positive step for Pakistan. It not only reduces financial burdens on international shipping but also sends a strong message that the country’s security and business environment are gaining international recognition. Government officials hope this milestone will further enhance investor confidence, promote trade, and contribute to long-term economic development.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *