expands probe into
|

US expands probe into cyclospora outbreak linked to recalled lettuce

US health authorities have expanded their investigation into a multistate outbreak of cyclosporiasis after new infections were identified in four additional states. The outbreak has been linked to shredded iceberg lettuce imported from central Mexico and supplied by Taylor Farms. Officials from the US Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are continuing efforts to determine the full extent of the outbreak and trace all affected products.

According to the FDA, confirmed outbreak-related cases have now been reported in nine states including Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Health officials said nearly 2,000 people have become infected with the cyclospora parasite after being exposed to food served at Taco Bell restaurants. So far, at least 98 people have required hospital treatment, although no deaths have been reported.

The investigation remains active as authorities work to identify additional cases that may be connected to the contaminated lettuce. Oklahoma’s health department said it is cooperating with federal officials to determine whether more illnesses reported in the state are linked to the outbreak.

Cyclosporiasis cases have been recorded in at least 41 states across the country this year. However, investigators say not every infection is connected to the current outbreak. Health officials are still examining which cases are directly linked to shredded iceberg lettuce supplied by Taylor Farms and served at Taco Bell locations.

Several states have already completed preliminary reviews and found no evidence connecting their reported cases to the nationwide outbreak. Health departments in Nebraska, Rhode Island, New Mexico and Maryland said investigations have not identified a link between local infections and the recalled lettuce. Officials stressed that cyclospora infections can result from exposure to a variety of contaminated fresh produce, making each case important to investigate separately.

In New Hampshire, health authorities confirmed nine infections associated with recalled Taylor Farms lettuce that had been served in the cafeteria at Cheshire Medical Center. Officials are continuing to investigate whether additional illnesses reported in the area are related to the same source.

Oregon health officials also reported two infections believed to be connected to the ongoing outbreak. Both individuals had recently traveled to states included in the nationwide recall and were believed to have consumed pre-shredded lettuce associated with the investigation.

North Carolina has also seen an increase in cyclosporiasis cases this year, but state health officials said the available evidence does not suggest those infections are related to the Taco Bell outbreak. Instead, investigators found that patients had commonly consumed fresh herbs such as parsley and cilantro along with lettuce, indicating different sources of exposure may be responsible.

Michigan remains the state reporting the highest number of suspected infections. State officials said more than 8,000 probable cases of the intestinal illness have now been identified, with hundreds of additional cases reported within a single day. Investigators continue to monitor the situation closely as new reports are received.

The outbreak prompted Taylor Farms to announce a voluntary recall of iceberg lettuce sourced from central Mexico on July 17. The recall covers products sold in grocery stores, supplied to restaurants and distributed to food service businesses across the United States. Federal health officials continue to advise consumers, restaurants and retailers not to use or serve any products included in the recall until the investigation is complete.

An industry source familiar with the matter said Taylor Farms has temporarily suspended operations at the processing facility in central Mexico that US health authorities have linked to the outbreak. Officials hope the closure, combined with the product recall and continued public health monitoring, will help prevent additional infections while investigators work to identify the exact source of the contamination.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Kerosene price reduced as government extends relief on petroleum products

    The federal government has extended the latest reduction in petroleum prices by lowering the cost of kerosene oil, providing additional relief to consumers who rely on the fuel for household and commercial use, particularly in remote and off-grid areas. According to a notification issued by the Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority (OGRA), the price of kerosene has been reduced by Rs3.58 per litre. Following the latest revision, the new retail price of kerosene has been fixed at Rs301.64 per litre, down from the previous rate of Rs305.22 per litre. The reduction comes as part of the government’s broader revision of petroleum product prices aimed at passing on the benefit of changes in international oil markets to consumers. Earlier, the Petroleum Division announced fresh prices for major petroleum products effective from August 4, confirming a decrease in the prices of both petrol and high-speed diesel. Under the revised rates, petrol has become cheaper by Rs4.80 per litre, bringing its new price down to Rs331.95 per litre. Likewise, the price of high-speed diesel (HSD) has been reduced by Rs2.45 per litre, setting the new rate at Rs389.93 per litre. The latest cuts are expected to provide modest relief to motorists, transporters, and businesses facing high operating costs, while the reduction in kerosene prices is likely to benefit households in regions where the fuel remains a primary source for cooking, heating, and lighting.

  • |

    Shaheen Afridi returns as Kandy Royals eye LPL 2026 Title push

    COLOMBO: The Kandy Royals have received a timely boost ahead of the Lanka Premier League (LPL) 2026 playoffs, with Pakistan pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi set to rejoin the squad for the tournament’s decisive knockout stage. Afridi’s return comes as welcome news for the Royals, who are preparing for a high-stakes Eliminator after sealing a dramatic place in the playoffs. The left-arm fast bowler had briefly left the tournament last week due to personal commitments, leading to widespread speculation that his LPL campaign had ended. However, the franchise has confirmed that the Pakistan star will return just in time for the business end of the competition. Adding further firepower to the squad, Kandy have also recruited Pakistan all-rounder Khushdil Shah and explosive batter Hassan Nawaz. The trio is expected to significantly strengthen both the batting and bowling departments as the Royals chase their first LPL title in recent years. The arrivals come following the departure of experienced all-rounder Moeen Ali, Afghanistan opener Sediqullah Atal, and Scotland international Brandon McMullen, who have left the squad after completing their commitments. Despite losing three key overseas players, Kandy management moved swiftly to secure quality replacements capable of making an immediate impact. Kandy Royals’ road to the playoffs was anything but straightforward. At one stage, their qualification hopes appeared to be fading, but fortune smiled on the franchise when a rain-affected clash between Jaffna Kings and Dambulla Sixers produced the result they needed to advance. The dramatic turn of events kept their championship dream alive and set the stage for an exciting knockout campaign. With Shaheen Afridi leading the pace attack once again, expectations among supporters have risen considerably. The Pakistani left-armer has consistently been one of the world’s premier white-ball bowlers, renowned for his ability to strike early with the new ball and deliver under pressure in crunch moments. The LPL 2026 playoffs begin on August 5 at Colombo’s iconic R. Premadasa International Cricket Stadium. The opening day will feature a Qualifier between Jaffna Kings and Galle Gallants, while Kandy Royals will face Colombo KAPS in a must-win Eliminator. Victory would keep Kandy’s title hopes alive and move them one step closer to lifting the LPL trophy. With Shaheen Afridi back in the lineup and two more Pakistani stars joining the squad, the Royals believe they have the experience, balance and firepower needed to challenge for championship glory in Sri Lanka’s premier T20 competition.

  • | | |

    Security forces kill five militants in Panjgur ope…

    Security forces have killed five militants during an intelligence-based operation in Panjgur district of Balochistan, according to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR). The operation was conducted after security agencies received intelligence about the presence of militants in the area. Security personnel moved into the suspected location and carried out the operation. Five militants were killed during the operation, ISPR said. A significant quantity of weapons and ammunition was also recovered from the militants. The recovered weapons and ammunition were taken into custody. They were later destroyed by the security forces, according to ISPR. Following the operation, security personnel launched a clearance and search operation in the surrounding area. The search operation is aimed at checking the area for any remaining militants and possible hideouts. Security forces are also examining the area for additional evidence and material linked to militant activities. ISPR said the operation was part of ongoing efforts to eliminate terrorism from Balochistan. The military’s media wing said security forces remain determined to prevent militant groups from carrying out attacks. It further said efforts would continue against terrorism allegedly being carried out with foreign support and assistance. Security forces have intensified operations against militant networks in different parts of the province. Authorities have repeatedly stressed the need for intelligence-based operations to identify and target militant elements. The latest operation in Panjgur comes amid continued security efforts in Balochistan

  • |

    Japan launches cooling shirt with built-in fans

    Tokyo – Due to Japan’s intense summer heat, office wear is now being equipped with modern cooling technology. Japanese people have started wearing clothes with built-in air-conditioning systems. Japanese clothing manufacturer Yofuku no Aoyama has introduced a short-sleeved shirt fitted with two small fans that provide cool air to the wearer while they are on the move. According to media reports, the shirt looks like a simple and elegant office shirt but it actually contains an advanced cooling system. A fan is installed at the back of the shirt near the waist. When switched on, it circulates air inside the shirt and helps keep the body cool. Air-cooled clothing has become increasingly popular in Japan over the past few years. However, it has mainly been used by people working in construction, waste collection and event security. Such clothing is generally designed as jackets or vests and has traditionally been considered protective or workwear rather than office clothing. However, as summer temperatures continue to rise in Japan, demand for cooling clothing is increasing among ordinary citizens and office workers as well. Keeping this growing demand in mind, Yofuku no Aoyama developed the shirt in collaboration with FZN, a company specializing in fan-equipped clothing. The shirt comes with two fans and a rechargeable battery. According to the company, efforts have been made to keep the cooling system as lightweight as possible. According to the report, each of the two fans weighs 95 grams, while the rechargeable battery pack weighs 165 grams. Although the fans are visible when the shirt is viewed from the back, designers have tried to make them less noticeable from other angles so that the shirt remains suitable for an office environment. The company has not provided specific information about the noise level of the fans suggesting that they may not be completely silent. When is cooling shirt most useful? The shirt is considered more useful while travelling rather than during meetings. The company says its main purpose is not necessarily to operate the fans inside an office or during client meetings as such meetings are generally held in air-conditioned rooms. The real benefit of the shirt is for people who travel around the city from one meeting to another. While walking outside in extreme heat or using public transport, the fans can help keep the body cool. It may also reduce the need for employees to change sweat-soaked clothes and put on formal attire again after reaching their destination. What is price? The complete initial package of the Kuchou Wear Short-Sleeve Shirt is being sold for 17,490 Japanese yen. The package includes the shirt, two fans, a rechargeable battery pack and a charging cable. The shirt is available in blue and grey with medium, large and extra-large sizes offered. The product has already gone on sale at the company’s stores and online shop.

  • | |

    AKMCCC Hyderabad organizes health camp on World He…

    HYDERABAD,— In observance of World Hepatitis Day, the Aga Khan Maternal and Child Care Centre (AKMCCC), Hyderabad, organized a one-day health camp aimed at improving access to preventive healthcare and promoting early detection of liver disease. Held under the global theme “Hepatitis Elimination Starts with You,” the camp offered discounted specialist consultations and complimentary diagnostic services to residents from across Hyderabad. The health camp provided expert consultations with Family Medicine and Internal Medicine specialists at subsidized rates. To encourage timely diagnosis, participants received free rapid screening tests for Hepatitis B and C, along with complimentary assessments of blood pressure, pulse rate, height, and weight. The program also included health education and awareness sessions on hepatitis prevention, transmission, and treatment, as well as discounted laboratory and radiology services for further evaluation and follow-up. “Hepatitis remains a significant public health challenge, yet early detection and timely intervention can drastically alter patient outcomes,” said Syed Muhammad Sohail, Chief Operating Officer for Outreach Services and Off-Campus Hospitals at Aga Khan University Hospital (AKUH). “Through today’s camp, AKMCCC is helping remove financial and geographic barriers to specialized care, empowering individuals across Hyderabad to take proactive steps toward their health,” he added. Health officials and AKMCCC representatives stated that such community outreach initiatives are essential to achieving the World Health Organization’s goal of hepatitis elimination by 2030. They reaffirmed the centre’s commitment to continuing similar programs in underserved areas to strengthen public health and foster a more informed community.The successful execution of the camp underscores AKMCCC’s ongoing dedication to preventive healthcare and community well-being.

  • |

    UK Parliament hears fresh concerns over human rights in Indian-Occupied Jammu & Kashmir

    The human rights situation in Indian-occupied Jammu and Kashmir (IIOJK) came under renewed scrutiny in the House of Lords on Thursday after Lord Qurban Hussain urged the British Government to clarify its position in light of a Genocide Watch report published earlier this year. During the debate, Lord Qurban Hussain said the report warned that the situation in Indian-occupied Jammu and Kashmir had reached a critical stage and alleged that eight of the ten recognised stages associated with genocide had already been reached. He asked how seriously the British Government viewed the report and what action it was taking to help prevent further deterioration. The British peer, who said members of his family live on both sides of the Line of Control, urged the Government to explain its assessment of the report and its approach towards the human rights situation in Indian-occupied Jammu and Kashmir. Responding for the Government, Lord Collins of Highbury, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), reiterated the UK’s longstanding position on human rights. He said the UK continues to express concern over violence and loss of life and supports full, transparent and impartial investigations into allegations of abuse by Indian police and security forces. He added that the British Government continues to raise human rights issues with India through diplomatic channels. Lord Qurban Hussain’s intervention highlights continuing concern among a number of British parliamentarians over the human rights situation in Indian-occupied Jammu and Kashmir, with renewed calls for accountability, respect for fundamental rights and a peaceful resolution of the longstanding dispute.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *