cancer medicines declared
| | |

9 cancer medicines declared fake and illegal after…

A major health alert has emerged in Karachi after the Sindh Drug Testing Laboratory declared nine medicines used for cancer treatment as substandard, fake, and unregistered. Authorities have started action against the responsible parties following the laboratory findings.

Director Sindh Drug Testing Laboratory Syed Adnan Rizvi said that the investigation was launched after receiving laboratory reports, and relevant institutions have begun taking action based on the results.

According to Rizvi, some of the cancer medicines tested did not contain the required active ingredients needed for treatment, while others did not have a valid registration number from the Drug Regulatory Authority of Pakistan (DRAP).

He warned that the availability of counterfeit and low-quality cancer medicines poses a serious threat to patients because ineffective treatment can allow the disease to progress and reduce the chances of recovery.

The official also raised concerns about prescription practices, stating that some oncologists mention the names of specific pharmacies on prescriptions, which may force patients to purchase medicines only from those outlets. He emphasized the need for transparency and strict monitoring throughout the medicine supply chain.

Cancer medicines are highly sensitive and require accurate composition and quality standards because patients depend on them for life-saving treatment. Experts have repeatedly stressed that fake or substandard drugs can cause severe health consequences, especially for people undergoing critical therapies.

The Sindh Drug Testing Laboratory findings have increased concerns about medicine regulation and quality control in the healthcare sector. Authorities are expected to investigate the source of the suspected medicines, identify those involved in their distribution, and take legal action where necessary.

The incident highlights the importance of purchasing medicines only from authorized pharmacies and ensuring that drugs carry proper registration details and quality certifications. Health officials have urged patients and healthcare providers to remain cautious and report any suspicious medicines to relevant authorities.

Drug safety remains a major challenge in many healthcare systems, and officials say stronger monitoring, improved enforcement, and public awareness are essential to prevent the circulation of counterfeit medicines.

Further details about the investigation and action against those responsible are expected as authorities continue their review of the case.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Sindh to launch facial recognition attendance syst…

    KARACHI: The Sindh government is set to introduce a facial recognition-based attendance system in government schools across six districts from August 17, aiming to strengthen staff monitoring and improve teacher availability for students. The Facial Recognition Attendance Monitoring and Evaluation System (FRAMES) will initially be launched as a pilot project, with one district selected from each division. The system will monitor attendance of both teaching and non-teaching staff through a digital mobile application. The pilot phase will cover Karachi East, Hyderabad, Naushehro Feroze, Jacobabad, Ghotki and Umerkot, with attendance of around 49,565 employees to be monitored through the system. Sindh Education Minister Syed Sardar Ali Shah said the initiative would gradually be expanded to all districts if the pilot proves successful. He said the application had been designed to be user-friendly, while a mechanism had also been established to identify and resolve technical issues promptly. The minister said FRAMES was not merely an attendance tool but was intended to ensure students have access to teachers during school hours. Staff members will be able to record attendance using their own phones or those of a headmaster or colleague. The system will also function without an internet connection, with attendance data automatically updated once connectivity becomes available. Teachers will be required to record both their arrival and departure from school. Employees will be able to view their attendance records through the application and download monthly reports. The system will also allow teachers to submit leave requests online from home, with approvals processed digitally. Training for education officials, school heads and teachers has been completed to ensure smooth implementation. The government has also provided special training to school heads to assist staff in using the system. FRAMES is available on both Android and Apple devices, while employees who have not yet completed registration have been advised to contact the Directorate General Monitoring and Evaluation office to update their records.

  • | |

    Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s Château Miraval …

    Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s former French estate, Château Miraval, has reportedly escaped damage despite dangerous wildfires burning in parts of southern France. According to TMZ, smoke was seen rising near the famous winery on Friday as firefighters continued battling fast-moving blazes across the region. While the sight of thick smoke sparked concern among fans, aerial images reportedly showed no visible damage to the historic property. Authorities have continued to monitor the situation as changing weather conditions keep the fire risk high. (tmz.com⁠) Château Miraval, located in the Provence region of southern France, has remained in the spotlight for years because of both its award-winning rosé wine and the ongoing legal dispute between Jolie and Pitt over ownership of the estate. The former couple purchased the property together in 2011 and married there in 2014 before separating two years later. Since then, Miraval has become a central issue in their lengthy legal battle. (apnews.com⁠) The latest concern comes as southern France faces another challenging wildfire season. High temperatures, dry vegetation and strong winds have fueled several fires across the region, prompting emergency responses and temporary evacuations in affected communities. Firefighters have been working around the clock to contain the flames and protect homes, forests and historic landmarks. (reuters.com⁠) Although smoke was visible near Château Miraval, reports indicate that the estate itself has not suffered any confirmed structural damage. Emergency crews have continued monitoring the area to ensure the fire does not spread closer to the property. Officials have also urged residents and visitors to follow safety instructions as weather conditions remain unpredictable. (tmz.com⁠) Beyond the immediate wildfire threat, Miraval continues to attract attention because of the legal fight between Jolie and Pitt. In recent years, the former spouses have exchanged lawsuits over Jolie’s sale of her stake in the winery to the Stoli Group’s wine division, with Pitt arguing that the sale violated an earlier agreement. The dispute remains unresolved and has become one of Hollywood’s most closely watched legal battles. (apnews.com⁠) For now, the focus has shifted from the courtroom to the safety of the estate and surrounding communities. The apparent lack of damage to Château Miraval has come as welcome news, but officials warn that wildfire conditions can change rapidly. As firefighters continue their efforts across southern France, the situation remains fluid. While Miraval appears to have avoided harm, authorities say continued vigilance is essential until the fires are fully contained. The incident serves as another reminder of the growing impact of extreme wildfire seasons across Europe and the importance of protecting both communities and cultural landmarks.

  • | | |

    Pakistan, US renew Fulbright partnership for five …

    Pakistan and the United States have renewed their cooperation in higher education through a new five-year agreement between the Higher Education Commission (HEC) and the United States Educational Foundation in Pakistan (USEFP). The agreement will run from the 2026-27 financial year through 2031-32. It will continue several major academic exchange and scholarship programmes for Pakistani students, researchers and professionals. The renewed partnership covers the Fulbright Master’s and PhD programmes. It also includes the Visiting Scholar Programme for post-doctoral researchers, the Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Programme and the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Programme. Under the new arrangement, the partners aim to support 66 Pakistani PhD scholars over the five-year period. Additional opportunities will be available through the other programmes covered by the agreement. The initiative is designed to help Pakistani students and academics access advanced education and research opportunities in the United States. Scholars are expected to bring back their expertise and contribute to the country’s academic and socio-economic development. The HEC will provide at least $4.54 million each year under the agreement. Its overall financial commitment for the five-year period has been capped at Rs6.48 billion. The funding will be released according to an agreed schedule. The arrangement includes an initial payment of $2 million by June 30, followed by another $2 million by January 31. The remaining amount will be released by April 30, subject to the availability of government funds. Any interest generated from HEC funds held by USEFP will be used again for student grants. This will provide additional support to beneficiaries of the programme. The selection of candidates will remain strictly merit-based. There will be no fixed quotas based on region, group or category. HEC representatives will also participate in selection panels. The commission will help identify areas of study that are considered important for Pakistan’s development and national priorities. The two institutions will establish a Joint Review Committee to monitor the programme. The committee will meet twice a year to assess progress, performance and the overall impact of the initiative. Financial oversight has also been included in the agreement. USEFP will provide annual audited financial statements to HEC. Relevant financial records will also remain available for review by the commission when required. The partnership will also focus on increasing awareness about international education opportunities. HEC and USEFP plan to conduct joint outreach activities across Pakistan. The initiative will use HEC’s network of universities and higher education institutions to reach a wider pool of potential applicants. The agreement also leaves room for future cooperation in areas such as faculty exchanges, administrator exchanges and other academic initiatives. The renewed arrangement builds on the earlier Fulbright-HEC PhD partnership signed in February 2016. Under that agreement, $25.786 million was committed to support 125 Pakistani scholars between 2016 and 2020.

  • |

    Planning a trip to Russia? Visit Russia offers all-in-one travel platform

    Planning a trip to Russia has become easier with Visit Russia, a comprehensive digital travel platform designed for international tourists. Available through both a website and mobile application, the platform aims to make travel planning simpler, more organised and enjoyable. Powered by artificial intelligence, Visit Russia provides a range of services to help travellers prepare for their journey. From creating personalised itineraries and accessing reliable travel information to booking flights, hotels, travel insurance and airport transfers, the platform brings essential travel services together in one place. Through the Visit Russia website, travellers can explore some of the country’s most attractive destinations, including Moscow, St Petersburg, Kazan and Sochi, and begin planning their trips. The platform also offers information about Russia’s world-famous historical landmarks, grand museums, cultural centres, scenic landscapes and popular travel routes. Alongside destination guides, visitors can access practical information and useful travel tips designed to make their journeys easier, safer and more enjoyable. Whether travelling to Russia for leisure, business or cultural exchange, Visit Russia aims to serve as a digital travel companion throughout the journey. The platform supports travellers from the initial planning stage to their stay in Russia, helping them make their trips more convenient, meaningful and memorable. International visitors can explore destinations, plan itineraries and access travel-related services through the Visit Russia platform. Visit Russia: https://visitrussia.online/

  • |

    Iran warns US: Any aggression will be met with a strong and decisive response

    Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has warned that any aggression against Iran or its vital infrastructure will trigger a “strong and decisive response”, emphasising that Tehran’s defense doctrine remains grounded in an “eye for an eye” policy. Writing on social media platform X, Araghchi made it clear that Iran will hit back against any strikes on its territory and cautioned that any third parties providing support to such actions will also be viewed as legitimate targets. The warning follows aggressive directives from US President Donald Trump, who ordered US Central Command (CENTCOM) to intensify strikes on Iranian positions and threatened that Iran would pay a steep price as military actions continue. An official from Iran’s Tasnim News Agency reinforced Araghchi’s statement, warning that if US forces target Iranian power plants or bridges, Iran will respond by targeting infrastructure, bridges, and energy assets associated with American interests throughout the region.

  • | | |

    PM Shehbaz’s dialogue offer remains open for PTI

    ISLAMABAD: Parliamentary Affairs Minister Tariq Fazal Chaudhry has urged Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) to engage in dialogue with the government, saying Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s invitation for talks remains on the table. Speaking in the Senate, Chaudhry said the government was ready to hold discussions with the opposition if PTI was serious about negotiations. He said opposition leaders could meet the prime minister or raise the matter in parliament. He also suggested that the opposition leader in the Senate could hold discussions with PML-N Senator Rana Sanaullah. Later, Chaudhry, Sanaullah and Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar met Senate Opposition Leader Allama Raja Nasir Abbas and National Assembly Opposition Leader Mahmood Khan Achakzai at Parliament House. Sanaullah said the meeting was linked to a letter written by Achakzai to Prime Minister Shehbaz. He said the government representatives had met the opposition leaders to discuss the prime minister’s response. The government and PTI have remained politically divided since the 2024 general elections. Disputes between the two sides have included demands for investigations into political protests, as well as issues concerning PTI founder Imran Khan’s health and continued detention. Meanwhile, the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) has also agreed to intensify political contacts with opposition parties. A senior PPP delegation is scheduled to meet Achakzai and Allama Nasir Abbas at the Opposition Leader’s Chamber in Parliament House on Tuesday. The meeting is expected to focus on parliamentary affairs and strengthening political engagement between the government-aligned PPP and opposition leadership. PPP leaders Sherry Rehman, Raja Pervez Ashraf, Saleem Mandviwalla and Naveed Qamar are expected to attend. Naveed Qamar said the talks would focus on strengthening parliament, improving coordination and reinforcing the role of parliamentary committees.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *