dar iran reaffirm
| |

Dar, Iran FM reaffirm diplomatic cooperation

Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar held a meeting with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Council of Foreign Ministers’ meeting, where both leaders reaffirmed their commitment to strengthening bilateral relations and promoting peace through diplomacy.

During the meeting, the two foreign ministers reviewed the evolving regional situation, particularly rising tensions in the Middle East. They discussed recent developments affecting regional security and agreed that continued dialogue, restraint and diplomatic engagement remain the most effective path toward achieving lasting peace and stability.

Dar reaffirmed Pakistan’s commitment to maintaining close and friendly relations with Iran. He stressed the importance of avoiding further escalation and called on all parties to resolve differences through peaceful negotiations. He also highlighted the need to build upon the understandings reached under the Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed in June 2026, which aimed to encourage diplomatic engagement and reduce regional tensions.

The Pakistani foreign minister expressed concern over the deteriorating security situation in the region and said cooperation among neighbouring countries is essential to preserve peace, protect economic interests and ensure regional stability.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi appreciated Pakistan’s diplomatic efforts to reduce tensions and promote constructive dialogue. He thanked Pakistan for its continued support in regional peace initiatives and acknowledged Islamabad’s role in facilitating the safe return of Iranian fishermen and crew members, including individuals whose vessels had been intercepted during recent regional tensions.

Both leaders agreed to maintain close coordination and regular consultations on regional and international issues of mutual interest. They reiterated their shared commitment to strengthening cooperation for peace, security and prosperity in the region.

The meeting took place as tensions between the United States and Iran continue to escalate. Recent military exchanges have increased concerns about wider instability in the Middle East, with continued air strikes and retaliatory actions raising fears of a broader regional conflict.

The situation has also affected key international shipping routes, particularly around the Strait of Hormuz and the Red Sea, increasing concerns over global energy supplies and international trade. The uncertainty has contributed to higher oil prices and renewed fears about the impact on the global economy.

In recent days, US President Donald Trump warned of stronger military action against Iran following attacks on commercial shipping in the Red Sea. Iranian officials, however, have continued to reject the accusations and have criticised recent US policies, including proposals concerning frozen Iranian assets.

Against this backdrop, Pakistan has continued to advocate dialogue and diplomacy as the only sustainable solution to regional disputes. Pakistani officials maintain that peaceful engagement remains essential to preventing further escalation and ensuring long-term stability across the Middle East.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Five young lives lost as speeding car crashes into…

    LAHORE: Five young people were killed after a speeding car crashed into a tree along Canal Road in the Harbanspura area of Lahore on Friday night. According to Rescue 1122 officials, the vehicle was travelling at high speed when it went out of control and struck a roadside tree. The impact proved fatal for all five occupants. Rescue teams reached the scene and recovered the bodies, which were later shifted to a nearby hospital for necessary procedures. Officials said all those killed were young. The cause of the crash is being investigated, while authorities are also examining whether excessive speed or other factors contributed to the fatal accident.

  • |

    Rising fuel prices drive global surge in electric vehicle sales

    Global sales of electric vehicles rose sharply during the second quarter of 2026 as soaring fuel prices linked to the conflict in the Middle East encouraged more consumers to switch away from petrol and diesel powered cars, according to a new report by the International Energy Agency. The agency said electric vehicle sales increased by 35 percent between April and June compared with the first three months of the year. Record sales were reported across 50 countries despite a slowdown in the overall global automobile market. According to the IEA, the renewed interest in electric vehicles was largely driven by the sharp rise in oil prices following the conflict involving Iran, Israel, and the United States. The report said the resulting energy crisis reminded governments and consumers of the economic risks associated with dependence on imported oil. Oil prices climbed dramatically during the year after Iran effectively closed the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s busiest energy shipping routes, in response to military strikes carried out by Israel and the United States. Crude prices rose from around 60 dollars per barrel at the beginning of the year to nearly 120 dollars, increasing fuel costs around the world and putting additional pressure on households and businesses. The IEA said the situation has brought energy security back to the centre of government policy discussions. Since road transport accounts for nearly half of global oil consumption, the agency noted that expanding the use of electric vehicles can reduce reliance on imported fuel while protecting consumers from sudden increases in fuel prices. The report said electric vehicles are now being viewed as an important tool for improving national energy security, particularly in countries that rely heavily on imported oil. By reducing dependence on global oil markets, governments hope to make their economies more resilient during periods of international instability. Several countries in Southeast Asia that were particularly affected by rising fuel costs responded by introducing temporary tax incentives to encourage people to buy electric vehicles. Similar government support measures have also been expanded in parts of Latin America and Europe as officials seek to accelerate the transition to cleaner transport. Based on the strong performance in the second quarter and continued policy support in many regions, the IEA expects global electric vehicle sales to increase by around 10 percent over the full year. If that forecast is achieved, electric cars are expected to account for approximately 29 percent of all new vehicle sales worldwide in 2026. The agency also predicted that the overall global car market will shrink this year, meaning electric vehicles are continuing to gain market share even as total vehicle demand weakens. The report noted that the year began on a slower pace for the electric vehicle industry. Sales dropped during the first quarter, mainly because of weaker demand in China and the United States, the world’s two largest EV markets. In the United States, the removal of government subsidies reduced consumer demand, while China’s slowing economy and reductions in financial incentives also affected purchases. Because China represents the largest electric vehicle market in the world, weaker sales there had a significant impact on global figures despite healthy growth in many other regions. Europe recorded the strongest performance during the first half of the year. According to the IEA, electric vehicle sales across the continent rose by more than 30 percent as supportive government policies, expanding charging infrastructure, and higher fuel prices encouraged more drivers to choose electric cars over conventional vehicles. The agency believes these trends could continue if governments maintain incentives and energy prices remain elevated.

  • | | | | | |

    Trump orders one-day pause in Iran strikes as talks continue

    US President Donald Trump has reportedly ordered a one-day halt to military strikes against Iran, temporarily interrupting a nearly two-week-long series of attacks, according to reports from US media outlets. The pause comes as uncertainty remains over whether the decision represents a temporary break in operations or the beginning of a broader ceasefire process. Reports suggest that the US military had been preparing for possible further strikes against Iran, but Trump has not yet approved any new major offensive. According to US media reports, military plans for continued operations were presented to the president, but Trump instructed officials not to proceed with attacks on that day. The decision marked a significant shift after a period of repeated strikes targeting Iranian positions. Trump later told reporters that the United States still had the option to continue military action and increase the intensity of attacks if necessary. However, he indicated that pursuing a diplomatic solution could be a more effective strategy. “The smart strategy is to make a deal,” Trump was reported as saying, adding that Iran appeared to be becoming more serious about discussions while the US remained prepared for possible military action. The reported pause came as an Omani delegation arrived in Iran for discussions aimed at addressing regional tensions and negotiating a possible agreement related to the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz. Officials suggested that a deal between Iran and Oman could potentially be reached during the weekend, after which the final decision would depend on Washington. Meanwhile, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) claimed that Iranian forces had destroyed several US military aircraft and drones during attacks on American bases. The group claimed that 17 drones, an F-15 fighter jet, a P-8 aircraft, a C-17 transport aircraft, and eight refueling planes were destroyed. The claims from both sides have not been independently verified, and officials have continued to provide competing accounts of the military developments. The situation remains highly sensitive as regional tensions continue, with diplomatic efforts taking place alongside military preparations. The coming days are expected to determine whether the temporary pause leads to broader negotiations or whether hostilities resume.

  • | |

    Lavrov’s ‘nice hairstyle’ reply …

    Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has gone viral on social media after responding to a journalist’s tough foreign policy questions with an unexpected compliment instead of an answer. The unusual moment took place during the ASEAN Regional Forum in Manila, Philippines, where Lavrov was approached by reporters following official meetings. A female journalist pressed the veteran diplomat with a series of sensitive questions covering Russia’s alleged support for Iran and Moscow’s position on ending the war in Ukraine. The reporter first asked whether Russia was helping Iran target American troops amid escalating tensions in the Middle East. She then followed up by asking if Moscow was prepared to agree to a ceasefire and peace negotiations with Ukraine. Rather than addressing either question, Lavrov continued walking calmly toward an elevator without breaking stride. As he reached the elevator doors, he briefly turned toward the journalist, smiled, and delivered a single unexpected remark. “Your hairstyle looks great,” he said before stepping into the elevator, leaving the reporter’s questions unanswered. The brief exchange was captured on camera and quickly spread across social media platforms, where it attracted millions of views and sparked widespread debate. Many users described Lavrov’s response as a classic example of diplomatic deflection, arguing that the seasoned foreign minister deliberately avoided commenting on politically sensitive issues without appearing confrontational. Others found the moment humorous, praising his composure and quick wit under pressure. Some social media users, however, criticized the response, saying it sidestepped important questions about international security and ongoing conflicts. The clip generated mixed reactions, with supporters calling it a clever diplomatic maneuver while critics argued that public officials should provide direct answers on major global issues. Lavrov, one of Russia’s longest-serving diplomats, is well known for his measured public appearances and his ability to navigate challenging media interactions. Throughout his career, he has frequently faced difficult questions from international journalists on issues ranging from the Ukraine conflict to Russia’s broader foreign policy. The latest viral moment once again highlighted how even a few unexpected words from a senior world leader can dominate online conversations. Whether viewed as a calculated diplomatic tactic, a light-hearted joke, or simply an attempt to avoid controversy, Lavrov’s short reply transformed an ordinary media encounter into one of the most talked-about moments of the ASEAN Regional Forum, proving that sometimes a single sentence can make bigger headlines than a lengthy press conference.

  • Senate questions OPF MD’s Rs1m salary and appointment

    Islamabad: A controversy has emerged over the appointment of the Managing Director of the Overseas Pakistanis Foundation (OPF) after Senator Aimal Wali Khan raised serious questions in the Senate Standing Committee on Cabinet Secretariat regarding the selection process, salary package and background of the appointed official. During the meeting chaired by Senator Rana Mahmood ul Hassan, Senator Aimal Wali Khan questioned the appointment of the OPF Managing Director and demanded complete details from the concerned authorities. Senator Aimal Wali Khan said that while the government has discussed the financial difficulties faced by ordinary citizens, concerns arise when senior government positions receive very high salaries. He pointed out that the Prime Minister had publicly stated that a person can manage monthly expenses with Rs8,000, while an individual appointed in OPF was receiving a salary of Rs1 million per month. He further informed the committee that another individual had been appointed in OPF with a monthly salary of Rs2.5 million, raising questions about government pay structures and appointment policies. The senator also raised questions regarding the nationality and background of the OPF Managing Director. He alleged that the appointed individual does not possess a Pakistani National Identity Card and is a British citizen by birth. He also questioned how a person who had faced conviction by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) could receive another government appointment. Following these concerns, the Senate Committee took notice of the matter and directed the relevant authorities to provide complete details regarding the appointment of the Managing Director of Overseas Pakistanis Foundation. The committee stressed that appointments in public institutions must follow transparency, accountability and proper procedures to maintain public confidence. Responding to questions regarding government appointments, officials of the Establishment Division informed the committee that suitable candidates are not available for certain specialised positions, which creates difficulties in filling important posts. Senator Aimal Wali Khan also criticised the broader culture of retaining officials in important positions despite long periods of inability to perform duties. He remarked that some individuals continue to hold positions even when they are unable to actively perform their responsibilities. The matter was discussed during a meeting of the Senate Standing Committee on Cabinet Secretariat held at the Establishment Division under the chairmanship of Senator Rana Mahmood ul Hassan. The meeting was attended by Senators Saadia Abbasi, Abdul Qadir, Dilawar Khan, Aimal Wali Khan and Saleem Mandviwalla, along with the Secretary Cabinet Division and Secretary Establishment Division. The committee directed authorities to submit the required information so that the issue of public appointments, governance and institutional reforms could be reviewed in detail in upcoming meetings.

  • | |

    Karachi man shot dead in dalmia; CCTV footage of k…

    Karachi: CCTV footage of the fatal shooting of 28-year-old Asim Khan in Dalmia’s Mujahid Colony, Street No. 12, has surfaced, showing the moments leading up to the attack and the suspect’s escape. According to the footage, the victim and the suspect were seen talking to each other before the shooting. During the conversation, the suspect, who was sitting on a motorcycle, suddenly pulled out a firearm and opened fire on Asim Khan. The victim collapsed to the ground after being shot. The gunfire caused panic in the area, with bystanders seen running for safety. A minor boy can also be seen near the motorcycle during the incident. Police have launched an investigation into the incident and are examining the CCTV footage to identify and arrest the suspect and determine the motive behind the killing. Authorities have not yet disclosed what was taken from the victim during the search.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *