sbp injects rs116tr
| | |

SBP injects Rs11.6tr into banking system

The State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) injected around Rs11.6 trillion into the country’s banking system through an open market operation on Monday, providing significant liquidity to banks.

The central bank conducted a reverse repo auction under its Open Market Operations (OMOs). Banks submitted bids worth Rs11.777 trillion across two different tenors.

The SBP accepted Rs11.613 trillion in total.

For the four-day tenor, banks offered Rs31 billion. The central bank accepted the entire amount at an interest rate of 11.54%. The bids in this category ranged between 11.56% and 11.54%.

The 14-day tenor attracted much larger demand. Banks submitted offers worth Rs11.746 trillion. The SBP accepted Rs11.583 trillion at a cut-off rate of 11.51%.

The bidding rate for the 14-day facility ranged from 11.57% to 11.51%. Of the Rs5.6527 trillion offered specifically at 11.51%, the central bank accepted Rs5.48415 trillion on a pro-rata basis.

The large-scale liquidity injection comes as banks continue to manage their short-term funding requirements. Open market operations are among the SBP’s key tools for managing liquidity and maintaining stability in the financial system.

Meanwhile, the Pakistani rupee recorded a slight improvement against the US dollar during Monday’s trading session.

The rupee strengthened by three paisa, closing at Rs277.62 per dollar compared with the previous close of Rs277.65. The marginal gain reflected relative stability in the foreign exchange market.

The US dollar index also declined by 0.1%. The index, which measures the dollar against six major international currencies, traded near its lowest level of the month at 99.519.

Gold prices, meanwhile, moved sharply higher in Pakistan.

The price of gold increased by Rs2,000 per tola to reach Rs461,936. The price of 10 grams also rose by Rs1,715 to Rs396,035, according to market rates.

The increase followed a strong recovery in international bullion prices. Gold has gained around 9% in August and was trading near $4,400 an ounce.

Market analysts said the recent recovery suggested renewed interest from institutional investors and central banks.

The rebound has also pushed gold above key technical resistance levels. This has strengthened expectations that prices could move higher if buying momentum continues.

Gold had faced heavy pressure following the escalation of the US-Israel conflict with Iran. International prices fell from a record level of around $5,595 an ounce in January to below $4,000 in June.

The decline prompted some investors to raise cash. Some central banks also used reserves to support their domestic economies as oil prices surged.

Analysts now believe renewed central bank purchases could support the precious metal. Institutional investors are also rebuilding their holdings after the earlier sell-off.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Rawalakot election possible on August 20 or 21 if …

    Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Chief Election Commissioner Ghulam Mustafa Mughal has said that elections in Rawalakot could be held on August 20 or 21 if the ongoing protest is resolved within the next three to four days. Speaking to the media in Muzaffarabad, Mughal said polling in Bagh and Haveli was scheduled to take place first due to security concerns. He said security personnel had already arrived in the two districts, while polling material was being transported under the supervision of the military. He added that eight security personnel would be deployed at each highly sensitive polling station to ensure the safety of voters and election staff. The chief election commissioner said efforts were also under way to restore internet services in Bagh and Haveli on August 9 and 10. Mughal said the Election Commission expected to be in a position to announce the polling date for Rawalakot within the next seven days. However, the final schedule would depend on the resolution of the ongoing protest. “If the protest is resolved within three or four days, elections in Rawalakot can be held on August 20 or 21,” he said. Responding to allegations made by political leaders, Mughal said the Election Commission could not engage in a war of words with politicians. He said the commission would provide the facts once the electoral process had been completed and would determine whether any irregularities had occurred and who was responsible.

  • | | |

    Ishaq Dar lands in Jordan for key Palestine talks

    AMMAN: Pakistan’s Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar arrived in Jordan’s capital, Amman, on Wednesday to participate in a high-level ministerial meeting focused on the situation in the occupied Palestinian territories, as Islamabad steps up its diplomatic engagement on the ongoing Middle East crisis. According to Pakistan’s Foreign Office, Dar was received at the airport by Jordanian Foreign Ministry Director Suja Al-Majali and Pakistan’s Ambassador to Jordan Khurram Sarfraz, marking the start of an important diplomatic visit. During his stay, Dar is scheduled to attend the ministerial conference on occupied Jerusalem, where regional leaders and foreign ministers are expected to discuss the worsening humanitarian situation in Palestine, recent developments in the region, and coordinated diplomatic efforts aimed at achieving peace and stability. The deputy prime minister is also expected to hold a meeting with King Abdullah II of Jordan, one of the Middle East’s leading voices on the Palestinian issue. The discussions are likely to focus on the latest regional developments, Pakistan-Jordan bilateral ties, and cooperation on matters of mutual interest. In addition, Dar will meet several foreign ministers on the sidelines of the conference to exchange views on the humanitarian crisis in Gaza, the broader Palestinian issue, and international efforts to secure a lasting ceasefire and political solution. Pakistan has consistently reiterated its support for the Palestinian people and has called for an immediate end to violence, unrestricted humanitarian assistance, and the establishment of an independent Palestinian state based on pre-1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital. Dar’s visit is being closely watched as Pakistan continues to strengthen diplomatic coordination with regional partners while advocating for peace, stability, and justice for the Palestinian people on international forums.

  • | |

    Massive $4 billion Iranian sanctions evasion network uncovered behind illegal gambling and crypto scheme

    A Reuters investigation has exposed a massive Iranian sanctions evasion network operating through a Dubai-based, unlicensed cryptocurrency exchange named Shelbit. The exchange has processed over $4 billion since May 2024, serving as a critical financial hub that links a Farsi-language illegal gambling network of over 2,000 websites, Iran’s central bank, state-backed bitcoin mining operations, and entities tied to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC). Despite strict prohibitions against gambling under Iranian law, the vast network utilises Iran’s central bank-regulated online payments system, allowing sanctioned entities and illicit networks direct access to global crypto markets and major international exchanges. Fronted by prominent Iranian influencers Sasha Sobhani and Pooyan Mokhtari, who promote the gambling sites to millions of social media followers while flaunting lavish lifestyles abroad, the operation is considered one of the largest illegal gambling and sanctions evasion schemes ever identified. Regulatory and law enforcement agencies have begun taking action against the network. Dubai’s Virtual Assets Regulatory Authority (VARA) issued a cease-and-desist order against Shelbit for anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism financing violations, while the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) confirmed it is actively investigating the network’s digital asset transactions.

  • |

    Zohran Mamdani reveals he has been vibing to Shamoon Ismail

    New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani was once known as rapper Young Cardamom. He has not left his music roots behind. This week, he revealed that Pakistani rapper Shamoon Ismail is currently on his playlist. Speaking with Rolling Stone, Mamdani was asked what he has been listening to. He named Radio & Weasel, a Ugandan duo that topped charts for years. He also mentioned Shamoon Ismail, saying he has followed the Pakistani rapper for a few years now. Whenever he is feeling reflective, he said, he puts on Kacey Musgraves. It is not clear how Mamdani discovered Ismail’s music. But the choice fits his background. He was born to a Ugandan father and an Indian mother, and raised in New York. His music taste reflects that mix. It also shows his close ties to the South Asian communities he represents. He has not specified which Ismail songs he is playing right now. This also is not the first time he has shown love for South Asian music. After his primary win, he walked off stage to the Bollywood hit “Dhoom Machale.” Fans still remember that moment. Mamdani’s taste is wide ranging. He has also spoken fondly of Taylor Swift, Jay Z, and Kim Petras. He is a fan of Indian American rapper Himanshu Suri, known as Heems. Mamdani has said Heems is part of the reason he entered politics. As for Ismail, his soulful rap style keeps building a strong following. Recent tracks like “used to it,” “Alone Together,” and “VOLUME” have racked up big streaming numbers. The singer recently took some time away from the spotlight. That break reportedly lined up with a major personal milestone, possibly an engagement or a wedding. He resurfaced on New Year’s Eve with a handwritten note to fans. He described the time away simply as a “transition.” Mamdani’s shoutout is likely to boost Ismail’s profile further. This is especially true among fans who enjoy seeing South Asian artists recognized on a global political stage.

  • |

    FIFA backs Gianni Infantino, apologise for World Cup privatisation plan

    RABAT: FIFA has thrown its full support behind president Gianni Infantino despite growing criticism over the now-abandoned proposal to privatise the commercial rights of the FIFA World Cup, while admitting that serious mistakes were made during the handling of the controversial plan. The governing body’s senior leadership met in Rabat, Morocco, on Wednesday to address the crisis that erupted after details of the proposal were leaked to the media. Following the meeting, FIFA issued a statement reaffirming its confidence in Infantino but also apologised to member associations for the way the process was managed. The proposed project, known as the FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE), aimed to create a new commercial subsidiary responsible for managing tournaments such as the FIFA World Cup and Club World Cup. FIFA estimated the venture could generate up to $4.2 billion, based on a valuation of $20 billion, while significantly increasing financial support for its 211 member associations. Under the proposal, each member nation would have received a one-time payment of $20 million in 2027, with regular funding for the 2027–2030 cycle rising from $8 million to $20 million. However, instead of winning support, the initiative sparked fierce opposition from football stakeholders worldwide. UEFA strongly criticised the plan, describing it as an opaque agreement that lacked transparency, while CONCACAF questioned Infantino’s leadership and governance. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney also publicly expressed doubts about Infantino’s ability to continue leading world football. Facing mounting pressure, Infantino withdrew the proposal last weekend, saying FIFA’s primary goal had always been to unite and strengthen the global game. In Wednesday’s statement, FIFA admitted that member associations and the FIFA Council should have been more closely involved from the outset. It also acknowledged mistakes made after the proposal became public and pledged to improve transparency in future decision-making. A formal review of the process will now be conducted, with findings expected to be presented at the next FIFA Council meeting. Officials confirmed that the FFE proposal has been permanently shelved. Later in the day, Infantino attended a Women’s Africa Cup of Nations match in Rabat alongside Moroccan football federation president Fouzi Lekjaa, one of the few senior officials to publicly support him throughout the controversy. Despite surviving the immediate crisis with the backing of FIFA’s leadership, the episode has raised fresh questions about governance, transparency and trust within world football, casting a shadow over Infantino’s bid for another term as FIFA president.

  • | |

    Karachi watchman shot dead during suspected robber…

    Two people were killed in separate shooting incidents reported within an hour in different areas of Karachi on Thursday, prompting police to launch investigations into both cases. The first incident occurred in the Boat Basin police jurisdiction near Bath Island in Clifton, where a watchman was fatally shot outside a residential bungalow. Rescue officials shifted the victim’s body to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre for legal formalities. According to Chhipa rescue officials, the deceased was identified as 40-year-old Mewa, who sustained a fatal gunshot wound to the chest. Initial information suggested that armed suspects opened fire after encountering resistance during an attempted robbery. However, Boat Basin Station House Officer (SHO) Riaz Niazi said the exact motive behind the killing had not yet been established. He confirmed that the victim originally belonged to the Thar region and was employed as a watchman at the bungalow where the incident occurred. The SHO said police were investigating all possible angles, including personal enmity and robbery, before reaching a final conclusion. Authorities are also attempting to obtain CCTV footage from the surrounding area to identify the suspects and reconstruct the sequence of events. In a separate incident, another man was shot dead near Link Road on the National Highway in the Bin Qasim area. The victim was also taken to Jinnah Hospital for medico-legal procedures. Bin Qasim SHO Faisal Rafiq identified the deceased as 40-year-old Bashir, a truck driver originally from Dera Ismail Khan. According to preliminary findings, Bashir was present at a truck terminal when unidentified assailants, who were allegedly lying in wait, opened fire on him. Police said the victim suffered three bullet wounds, including one to the chest. Investigators recovered three spent 30-bore pistol casings from the crime scene, which have been collected as forensic evidence. Officials believe the second shooting may have been motivated by personal enmity, although they emphasised that the investigation remains ongoing and no suspects have been arrested so far. The two fatal incidents highlight the continuing security challenges in Karachi, where police regularly investigate cases involving violent crime, targeted attacks, and robbery-related shootings. Authorities have appealed to the public to cooperate with investigators and provide any information that may assist in identifying those responsible.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *