canada vows dollarfordollar
|

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar retaliation against US

Canada has announced plans to respond to new US tariffs with matching measures after last-minute trade negotiations between the two countries broke down.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced the suspension of the talks shortly before a Friday deadline, saying Washington’s latest proposals did not meet Canada’s objectives.

Carney said Canada would respond to US tariffs on a “dollar-for-dollar” basis. He argued that changes made to the proposed US terms at the final stage of negotiations were unfair and economically damaging.

The talks had entered an intense phase in recent weeks as Canadian and US officials attempted to reach an agreement that could reduce tariffs affecting major industries.

Earlier this week, US President Donald Trump had temporarily delayed additional tariffs and indicated that Washington and Ottawa were close to reaching an agreement. Officials on both sides had expressed optimism that a deal could be concluded.

However, negotiations ultimately failed to produce an agreement.

US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer gave a different account of the breakdown. He said Canada had declined to finalise an agreement based on terms that had previously been discussed.

Greer accused Ottawa of introducing new demands and withdrawing from some commitments, arguing that the changes had disrupted the balance reached during the negotiations.

The disagreement marks a sharp change in tone between the two governments. Just days earlier, officials had indicated that progress was being made towards a mutually beneficial trade arrangement.

Among the proposals reportedly under discussion was a reduction in US tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminium from 50 per cent to 25 per cent. Tariffs on Canadian automobiles were also being considered for reduction from 25 per cent to 15 per cent.

In return, Canada was facing pressure to provide greater access to US products. One issue involved the sale of American alcoholic beverages, with Ottawa being urged to remove provincial restrictions that had been introduced in response to earlier US trade measures.

With negotiations suspended, a new round of US tariffs is now affecting a broad range of Canadian products. The measures include goods such as wine, dairy products, cement, clothing and hockey equipment.

The latest tariffs come on top of existing US duties on Canadian steel, aluminium, automobiles and lumber.

The escalating trade dispute has created growing uncertainty for businesses on both sides of the border. Canada and the United States have closely integrated economies, with large numbers of companies and workers dependent on cross-border trade.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford backed the federal government’s decision to respond strongly. He called for a reciprocal approach in which Canadian tariffs would match US measures on a dollar-for-dollar basis.

The dispute has been developing since Trump returned to the White House and introduced a broad tariff programme affecting major trading partners. The measures have strained the long-standing trade relationship between Canada and the United States.

Canadian negotiators have spent more than a year seeking reductions or exemptions from US tariffs affecting key sectors. Washington, meanwhile, has demanded several concessions, including changes to Canadian dairy import quotas and the removal of retaliatory restrictions on American goods.

US officials have also objected to restrictions placed on American alcohol products by several Canadian provinces.

Business groups have urged both governments to reach an agreement, warning that higher tariffs could increase costs, disrupt supply chains and hurt companies and consumers in both countries.

The US Chamber of Commerce has also warned that prolonged tariff disputes could threaten millions of jobs connected to trade under the US-Mexico-Canada trade framework.

Public opinion in Canada remains divided over how the government should respond. Recent polling indicated that some Canadians support retaliatory tariffs, while others favour continuing negotiations with Washington.

Similar Posts

  • |

    North Korea battles heatwave with dog soup

    North Korea is highlighting traditional foods, health advice and leisure activities as an intense heatwave sweeps across the Korean Peninsula. State media reported that temperatures in the country reached 36.7°C, the highest recorded since modern weather observations began. The extreme heat has also brought a series of unusually warm nights. With the hottest period of summer underway, North Korean media has focused heavily on ways for people to stay cool and maintain their health. One of the recommendations receiving particular attention is dog-meat soup. State media described the dish as a traditional summer food and promoted a long-standing belief that it can help people cope with extreme heat. Other foods recommended by state media include watermelon, cucumbers, mung beans, fish porridge and red-bean porridge. Chicken soup prepared with ginseng, sticky rice and dates has also been promoted as a popular summer meal. Health programmes on North Korean television have urged people to remain hydrated and take precautions while swimming or exercising outdoors. The country has not released figures on deaths linked to the current heatwave. South Korea, meanwhile, has reported more than 20 heat-related deaths. North Korean state media has also used the extreme weather to highlight leader Kim Jong Un’s image as a leader who shares difficult conditions with ordinary citizens. A recent report recalled a 2013 visit by Kim to a construction site during hot weather. The report said his clothes became soaked with sweat during the inspection. According to the account, Kim insisted that important work for the people should continue despite the heat. State media also highlighted other past inspections in difficult weather conditions. These included a trip through mountainous terrain during heavy rain and a visit to a seafood factory where temperatures were reportedly around 39°C. There has been no detailed report on Kim’s activities during the current heatwave. Meanwhile, state television has shown large crowds visiting beaches, swimming pools and water parks to escape the extreme temperatures. Thousands of people have reportedly visited the Wonsan Kalma Coastal Tourist Zone, one of Kim’s major tourism projects on the country’s eastern coast.

  • |

    Mayor shot dead inside town hall in Central Mexico

    Valentín Lavín Romero, the mayor of Temoac in the central Mexican state of Morelos, was shot dead on Wednesday inside the municipal government headquarters. The politician, affiliated with the Green Party, an ally of the ruling Morena party, was targeted in broad daylight when armed hitmen entered the town hall before escaping on a motorcycle. The fatal attack came six months after Lavín Romero survived a previous attempt on his life in late January, when gunmen opened fire on his vehicle at a highway petrol station. His assassination marks the 14th murder of a mayor in Mexico since President Claudia Sheinbaum took office in October 2024, highlighting the persistent vulnerability of municipal officials in regions contested by organised crime networks. Prior to his death, Lavín Romero faced intense local scrutiny and threats. In May, a criminal group left a warning banner in the town center accusing him of protecting rival syndicates. He was also under pressure from community activists who demanded investigations into his alleged links to the homicides of two local campaigners. The state prosecutor’s office confirmed that initial forensic investigations are underway at the crime scene, though no suspects or official motives have yet been formally identified. The killing coincides with broader federal anti-corruption drives under Operation Swarm, which targets collusion between municipal administration members and regional cartels across multiple states.

  • |

    Pakistan dismisses Indian defence minister’s Azad Kashmir threats as attempt to hide domestic turmoil

    Defence Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif has forcefully rejected comments by his Indian counterpart, Rajnath Singh, who declared that New Delhi would only hold talks on Azad Kashmir, claimed the Pakistani-administered region as an “integral part of India”, and warned that any attempt to undermine Indian sovereignty would invite a “decisive response” from its armed forces. Singh had also accused Islamabad of continuing to sponsor “terrorism” against India. Asif hit back directly, stating that Singh’s aggressive rhetoric was a clear attempt to “deflect the attention from internal turmoil and increasing unrest” following mass protests against Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government. He warned New Delhi against distortion and military posturing, emphasising that while Pakistan remains committed to peace, its resolve to defend its sovereignty is absolute and must never be tested. The Pakistani Foreign Office echoed these concerns, calling on the United Nations to hold India accountable to Security Council resolutions guaranteeing the Kashmiri people’s right to self-determination.

  • | |

    Multan airport records highest-ever 37 flights in …

    MULTAN: Flight operations at Multan International Airport have increased, with the airport recording a new daily high of 37 flights on Wednesday. According to the flight schedule, 449 flights were operated across Pakistan during the past 24 hours, while 68 flights were cancelled and 112 flights faced delays of up to seven hours. Of the 37 flights operated at Multan airport, 18 arrived and 19 departed, marking the highest number of daily flight operations recorded at the airport. The schedule showed that 135 flights were operated from Karachi, 118 from Islamabad, 105 from Lahore, 17 from Peshawar, 15 from Sialkot and 12 from Faisalabad. Flight delays were also reported at several major airports. Karachi recorded delays involving nine flights, while Lahore and Islamabad each reported 33 delayed flights. Multan had eight delayed flights, Peshawar six, Sialkot eight, Faisalabad nine and Quetta six. A number of flights were also cancelled during the same period. Karachi recorded 20 cancellations, Lahore 21, Islamabad 12 and Multan three. Peshawar, Faisalabad and Sialkot each recorded two cancelled flights, while six flights were cancelled at Quetta airport. The latest figures indicate increased flight activity at Multan International Airport, with the 37-flight total setting a new daily record for the southern Punjab city’s airport.

  • |

    Eight-year-old girl allegedly raped in Gujranwala, public outraged

    An eight-year-old girl was allegedly subjected to a brutal sexual assault by unidentified perpetrators in the Gujranwala area, triggering widespread grief and anger across Pakistan. The incident has once again raised serious concerns about the safety of children and the growing number of violent crimes being reported across the country. According to reports, the incident took place in Feroze Wala Kala Khatai Gol Pind near Gujranwala. The minor was allegedly taken to nearby fields, where she was sexually assaulted by multiple suspects. Her cries for help alerted local residents, who rushed towards the area and intervened. Police have launched an investigation into the incident and are working to identify and arrest those responsible. The victim was later taken to a police station in critical condition. Reports said that she was in severe distress and was unable to sit comfortably following the alleged assault. The incident has also sparked criticism of the media after the child’s father appeared before news outlets while attempting to conceal his daughter’s face. Despite the family’s efforts to protect the minor’s identity, reports claimed that some media channels broadcast footage showing the child’s face without blurring it. The decision has drawn condemnation from members of the public and celebrities, who argued that protecting the privacy and dignity of a minor victim should be a basic responsibility of the media. Actress Amar Khan expressed her anger over the alleged assault as well as the media’s handling of the victim’s identity. She criticised the decision to broadcast the child’s unblurred face, calling attention to the ethical responsibilities of news organisations when reporting cases involving minors. Maya Khan also reacted emotionally to the incident, urging people to take action against such cruelty. She wrote, “Please do something before Allah reacts to this cruelty and punishes us.” Malik Aqeel was also among those who expressed grief over the disturbing case. The incident has prompted another wave of public outrage on social media, with many users demanding strict action against those responsible. Several commentators questioned whether parents can feel safe raising daughters when children continue to face such horrific violence. Some users called for stronger punishments for perpetrators of crimes against children, while others expressed frustration over what they described as repeated failures to protect vulnerable minors. Many social media users also tagged Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz, urging authorities to ensure a swift investigation and bring the suspects to justice. The alleged assault comes amid growing public concern over reports of rape, murder, kidnapping and other violent crimes across Pakistan. Recent cases involving children and other vulnerable victims have intensified demands for stronger law enforcement, better protection for minors and greater accountability. As the investigation continues, the public is awaiting concrete action against those responsible for the Gujranwala incident. The case has once again highlighted the urgent need to protect children from violence and ensure that victims are treated with dignity and privacy throughout the legal process.

  • |

    Sydney Sweeney, Scooter Braun heat up Mallorca yacht getaway

    Sydney Sweeney and Scooter Braun’s romance continues going strong this summer. The couple was recently spotted enjoying a getaway on Spain’s Mallorca Island, according to a TMZ report published Saturday, August 15. The outlet reported that the “Euphoria” actress and her businessman boyfriend kicked off their weekend with a lively yacht escapade off the coast of Mallorca. The pair boarded a large superyacht on Friday, August 14, before jet-skiing across the Mediterranean. In photos shared by the outlet, the 28-year-old actress was seen in a light blue swimsuit, paired with a rash guard on top. Braun matched her look, wearing a light blue shirt, dark pants and a rash guard of his own. The latest sighting adds to a string of romantic outings the couple has shared throughout the summer. Just weeks earlier, they were spotted bungee jumping together in New Zealand. Before that trip, the two were seen holding hands while attending NBA Finals Game 4 in New York City. Sweeney also recently threw Braun a star-studded early birthday celebration, marking his 45th birthday in June. Sweeney and Braun began dating in September 2025, months after first meeting at Jeff Bezos and Lauren Sanchez’s high-profile wedding in Italy. The couple made their relationship Instagram-official in April 2026, sharing photos from their time together at the Stagecoach Music Festival. Since then, the pair has continued stepping out publicly at a steady pace, from sporting events to international getaways. Their latest yacht outing in Mallorca appears to be another chapter in what’s shaping up to be an active and increasingly public relationship. With summer still in full swing, fans can likely expect more updates on the couple’s travels as they continue making joint appearances across various destinations.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *