flood disaster afghanistan
|

Flood disaster in Afghanistan leaves dozens missing as rescue efforts continue

Rescue teams and local residents are continuing a desperate search for around 100 people missing after a powerful flash flood swept through eastern Afghanistan, killing at least 23 people and leaving widespread destruction across Nuristan province.

The flood struck the remote provincial capital of Parun on Monday, sending huge volumes of water, mud and massive rocks crashing through homes, shops and public buildings. Authorities said the number of missing remains high as emergency workers struggle to reach areas buried under debris.

Residents have joined the search using wooden poles, shovels and even their bare hands as heavy machinery has proven largely ineffective in the rugged mountainous terrain. A bulldozer was deployed to remove some rubble, but rescue operations remain slow because of the enormous boulders and thick layers of mud covering parts of the town.

Many survivors described the disaster as unlike anything they had ever experienced. Farid Gul Zaheer, a local pharmacist, said the flood arrived with incredible force and compared the terrifying moment to an earthquake. He said people were screaming as they rushed to escape and he was injured while climbing higher ground to save himself.

The flood has caused extensive damage across Parun, destroying markets, hotels and dozens of businesses. Local officials confirmed that the city’s mayor and several government employees are among those still missing, raising fears that the death toll could increase as rescue operations continue.

Hotel manager Zakirullah Zaki said almost every business in the area had been wiped out by the flood. Although his hotel remained standing, it was surrounded by destruction. He said his younger brother, who had been missing after the disaster, was later found.

The Afghan Red Crescent Society has deployed volunteers to help search for survivors and provide emergency assistance to affected families. Relief teams are distributing food, clean drinking water and tents to people who have lost their homes while continuing efforts to locate those trapped beneath the debris.

Afghanistan’s Defence Ministry has also sent military personnel to support rescue operations in the disaster zone. The United Nations has begun assessing the scale of the damage and humanitarian needs in the affected region.

Survivors say the emotional impact of the disaster has been devastating. Zaheer said he had lost everything and described the community as deeply traumatised after spending a sleepless night fearing further danger.

The severe weather has also affected neighbouring Pakistan, where heavy rainfall and flooding have claimed additional lives in recent days. The back to back disasters have once again highlighted the growing threat of extreme weather across the region.

Afghanistan remains one of the countries most vulnerable to climate related disasters. Flooding has become more frequent in recent years, worsening an already severe humanitarian crisis. Earlier this year, heavy rains and floods across Afghanistan and Pakistan killed more than 200 people, causing widespread damage to homes, farmland and infrastructure.

Environmental experts have repeatedly warned that climate change is increasing the intensity and frequency of extreme weather events in Afghanistan, placing millions of people at greater risk as communities continue to struggle with poverty, displacement and limited disaster response resources.

Similar Posts

  • | | |

    12 militants killed in Balochistan intelligence op…

    Pakistan’s security forces killed 12 suspected militants during two intelligence-based operations carried out in separate districts of Balochistan as part of the ongoing counterterrorism campaign, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said on Thursday. According to the military’s media wing, the operations were conducted on August 5 and 6 in Washuk and Mastung districts under the third phase of Operation Rad-ul-Fitna, which targets militant groups allegedly backed by hostile foreign elements. The ISPR said the first operation was launched on August 5 after intelligence agencies detected the movement of six suspected militants in Washuk district. Security forces swiftly moved to the area and engaged the suspects in a targeted operation. Following an exchange of fire, all six militants were killed. A second intelligence-based operation was conducted on August 6 in Mastung district after security forces received information about the presence of armed militants. The ISPR said another six suspected militants were killed during an intense firefight. Security personnel also destroyed a militant hideout during the operation. The military stated that both operations were based on credible intelligence and were part of continuous efforts to eliminate militant networks operating in Balochistan. It added that security forces carried out the missions with precision, preventing the militants from escaping. According to the ISPR, the operations form part of Pakistan’s broader counterterrorism strategy being implemented under Azm-e-Istehkam, the national security initiative approved by the Federal Apex Committee under the National Action Plan. The military reaffirmed that Pakistan’s armed forces, together with law enforcement agencies, will continue intelligence-led operations across the country to eliminate terrorism and dismantle militant infrastructure.

  • | |

    NCCIA crack down on OTP fraud Gang, arrests 27 acr…

    LAHORE: In one of the largest cybercrime crackdowns in recent months, Pakistan’s National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) has dismantled an organised online fraud network, arresting 27 suspects during coordinated operations in Lahore, Multan and Faisalabad. According to officials, the suspects were part of an organised “OTP Gang” accused of targeting bank customers through sophisticated phone scams. Investigators said the group impersonated bank officials, customs officers and police personnel to deceive citizens into revealing sensitive financial information before stealing money from their accounts. The largest operation was carried out in Lahore, where NCCIA teams conducted raids at multiple locations and arrested 13 suspects in two separate operations. Authorities also recovered mobile phones, computers and other digital evidence believed to have been used in cyber fraud activities. In Multan, four intelligence-based operations resulted in the arrest of 13 key members of the network. Officials believe the suspects played central roles in planning and executing online scams that affected victims in different parts of the country. Meanwhile, in Faisalabad, investigators arrested another suspect allegedly involved in hacking bank and social media accounts. During the raid, officials recovered several fake SIM cards and digital devices that are being examined as part of the investigation. Preliminary findings suggest the network relied on social engineering techniques, convincing victims that their bank accounts or identity documents required urgent verification. Once victims shared one-time passwords (OTPs), banking details or verification codes, the suspects allegedly gained access to their accounts and carried out unauthorised financial transactions. Cybercrime investigators are analysing the seized electronic devices to identify additional members of the network, trace stolen funds and determine whether the group has links to other organised fraud rings operating across Pakistan. Following the successful operation, the NCCIA urged citizens to remain vigilant against phone and online scams. The agency warned people never to share their OTPs, ATM PINs, passwords or banking information with anyone claiming to represent a bank, government department or law enforcement agency. Officials also advised the public to verify suspicious calls through official customer service numbers and immediately report suspected cyber fraud to the relevant authorities. The latest crackdown highlights the growing threat of cyber-enabled financial crime in Pakistan and underscores the government’s increasing efforts to dismantle organised digital fraud networks while encouraging stronger public awareness of online security.

  • | |

    Musadik Malik calls for smarter water management

    Climate Minister Musadik Malik has called for a major shift in Pakistan’s water management strategy, saying the country must focus not only on storing water but also on regulating its supply throughout the year. Speaking at a briefing at the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), Malik said effective water management was essential for protecting food supplies, supporting agriculture and reducing the impact of climate-related disasters. His remarks came as Pakistan faces another difficult monsoon season. At least 107 people have died and 297 others have been injured since the current rainy season began on June 26, according to disaster management authorities. The Pakistan Meteorological Department has forecast another strong spell of monsoon rains from July 29. Heavy rainfall could trigger urban flooding, flash floods and landslides in several parts of the country. Malik said Pakistan needed different climate strategies for different regions instead of relying on a single nationwide approach. Plans are being developed for cities facing extreme heat, northern areas vulnerable to floods and landslides, and agricultural regions where changing weather patterns are threatening food production. He stressed that water must be available when farmers need it during the Rabi and Kharif seasons. According to the minister, simply allowing large quantities of floodwater to escape without regulating or storing it creates serious risks for agriculture and food security. Malik described water infrastructure as a national security issue. He said the government would focus on improving water regulation, telemetry and storage systems. It would also work with provincial governments to improve zoning and construction standards in disaster-prone areas. National Food Security Minister Rana Tanveer Hussain said Pakistan would require greater water storage capacity in the coming years. He said the country faced two linked challenges: controlling floods and dealing with water shortages. Tanveer said climate change was already changing crop cultivation and sowing patterns. He stressed that agriculture would need to adapt to shifting weather conditions to protect food supplies. The minister said Pakistan was among the countries most vulnerable to climate change, with agriculture facing some of the strongest impacts. He recalled the huge economic losses caused by the 2022 floods but said the country’s disaster response capabilities had improved since then. He said the government had started modifying crop cycles and cultivation patterns in response to changing climatic conditions. Authorities are also working on a broader strategy to strengthen agricultural resilience. Tanveer highlighted several major water projects. He said the Diamer-Bhasha Dam would provide around 6.4 million acre-feet of additional storage capacity, while the Mohmand Dam would add nearly one million acre-feet. He also mentioned progress on the Dasu project and expressed hope that the K-IV water supply project for Karachi would be completed by the end of this year or early next year. Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb described climate change and population growth as major long-term challenges for Pakistan. He called for a coordinated response involving all parts of the government. Aurangzeb said the country was now better prepared financially to respond to natural disasters. He said the government had decided to use domestic resources for rescue and relief operations instead of relying primarily on international assistance. He said Pakistan had launched a $2 billion programme aimed at strengthening climate resilience and reducing environmental risks. Around $700 million annually has also been allocated for disaster management, vulnerability reduction and protection of lives and infrastructure. The finance minister said Pakistan’s disaster financing approach had changed significantly since the 2022 floods. The country had previously relied heavily on international commitments, but authorities are now increasing domestic funding for climate adaptation and emergency response. Information Minister Attaullah Tarar said preparations for the current monsoon season had started before the rains arrived. He credited NDMA’s National Emergencies Operation Centre (NEOC) with improving forecasting and early warning capabilities. Tarar said the system had helped authorities issue timely alerts about dangerous weather events. He urged citizens to follow official warnings and take precautions during periods of heavy rainfall. Meanwhile, flooding continues in parts of Punjab and other regions. The Provincial Disaster Management Authority said water levels in the Chenab River had shown some improvement, while low-level flooding persisted at several locations along the Indus.

  • | |

    Trump reportedly eyes Infantino for UN Secretary-General

    US President Donald Trump is reportedly considering FIFA President Gianni Infantino for the post of United Nations secretary-general, according to media reports. The reported move comes shortly after the successful conclusion of the 2026 FIFA World Cup, which ended on July 19. Reports suggest Trump believes Infantino has gained international recognition for his leadership of world football and his ability to bring countries together through sport. The US president is said to view the FIFA chief as a respected global figure capable of promoting dialogue and cooperation among nations. Trump and Infantino developed a closer working relationship during preparations for the 2026 FIFA World Cup. Throughout the tournament, the FIFA president maintained regular contact with US officials and played a key role in coordinating one of the world’s biggest sporting events. Media reports claim Trump was impressed by Infantino’s management of the tournament and believes his international experience could make him a suitable candidate to lead the United Nations. However, neither the White House nor FIFA has officially confirmed the reports. There has also been no indication that Infantino has accepted or is interested in seeking the UN’s top position. It remains unclear whether the matter has been formally discussed between the two sides. The process of selecting the next UN secretary-general is highly competitive. Any candidate must first receive the support of the 15-member United Nations Security Council. The five permanent members of the council each hold veto power, meaning a single objection can block a nomination. The successful candidate must then be approved by the UN General Assembly. The reported development comes as the United Nations prepares for a leadership transition later this year. Current Secretary-General António Guterres is scheduled to leave office at the end of December after completing his second term. Political analysts say the position traditionally goes to experienced diplomats or senior political leaders with broad international support. If Infantino’s name is formally proposed, it would represent an unusual choice because of his background in global sports administration rather than diplomacy.

  • | |

    Zelenskiy accuses Russia of targeting world food s…

    Ukraine and Russia traded accusations of lethal attacks on Sunday, with President Volodymyr Zelenskiy saying Moscow deliberately targeted global food security by striking the seaport at Odesa. Three people died and 37 sustained injuries in the eastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv after a multi storey apartment block took a direct hit. Across the border, authorities in Russia’s Belgorod region reported that a Ukrainian drone attack killed five people and wounded 25 others. Odesa seaport takes major damage Zelenskiy said a strike had damaged Odesa’s seaport, a critical hub for Ukraine’s agricultural exports. Local authorities reported that dozens of drones and missiles struck the southern seaside city, wounding a dozen people in the process. “In this way, the Russians are at war with the world’s food security,” Zelenskiy said, framing the attack as part of a broader effort by Moscow to disrupt global grain supplies that flow through Ukraine’s Black Sea ports. The Ukrainian president said Russia also struck nine other regions across the country on Sunday, extending the assault well beyond Odesa alone. Russia has spent months bombarding Odesa in a sustained campaign aimed at cutting Ukraine off from the Black Sea and choking its export routes. Ihor, a 67 year old Odesa resident whose apartment narrowly avoided destruction in the latest strikes, said residents have grown accustomed to the danger. “Everyone who lives in Odesa knows that the most common target is around the port area,” he said. Ukraine strikes Russian oil tankers in response As Ukraine works to choke off the revenue Russia relies on to fund its war effort, Kyiv’s forces have repeatedly targeted Russian oil tankers and other cargo vessels moving through the Black Sea. Ukrainian forces claimed three additional strikes on such vessels on Sunday alone. Both countries have widened their campaigns against each other’s logistics networks in recent months. E-commerce warehouses on both sides of the border and Ukrainian petrol stations have come under sustained attack throughout the summer. Ukraine’s state energy company Naftogaz reported a significant rise in attacks on its facilities over the past three days, including strikes on oil extraction sites overnight. Ukraine’s energy ministry said Russian forces also struck power facilities in the Odesa region, cutting electricity to a substantial share of the port city’s residents overnight. Power had already been restored to 90,000 consumers by Sunday, the ministry said. Russia’s Defence Ministry confirmed striking fuel storage facilities in the ports of Odesa and nearby Chornomorsk, saying the sites were being used to support the Ukrainian military. Pope Leo renews call for peace At the Vatican, Pope Leo used his Sunday address to renew calls for an end to the war, now in its fourth and a half year. Speaking before worshippers gathered for the Angelus prayer, the pontiff said tragic incidents are multiplying across the conflict, leading to a growing number of civilian casualties, including children. The renewed papal appeal comes as both Russia and Ukraine show little sign of scaling back their attacks, with strikes on energy infrastructure, ports and logistics networks continuing to intensify on both sides as the war grinds into its fifth year without a resolution in sight.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *