four bodies recovered
| |

Four bodies recovered after Broad Peak avalanche

The bodies of four climbers have been recovered after a deadly avalanche struck Broad Peak, the world’s 12th-highest mountain, located in Pakistan. Rescue teams are continuing an extensive search for the remaining missing climbers in difficult weather and terrain.

The avalanche hit the mountain during the climbing season, leaving around 10 mountaineers missing. The victims include climbers from Nepal, Pakistan, China and the United States, highlighting the international nature of the expedition.

Search and rescue teams remain on the mountain despite harsh conditions. The operation is being carried out in a challenging high-altitude environment, where steep slopes, freezing temperatures and unstable snow have made rescue efforts extremely difficult.

Tourism Minister Nikk Nam Karim said every possible effort is being made to locate the missing climbers. He said rescue teams are working continuously to search the affected area and provide assistance to those involved in the incident.

The minister added that the Tourism Department is supporting the rescue mission by providing logistical assistance. Authorities are coordinating with rescue teams and other relevant agencies to ensure the search operation continues without interruption.

Broad Peak, which rises to more than 8,000 metres in the Karakoram mountain range, is one of Pakistan’s most challenging peaks and attracts climbers from around the world every year. However, the mountain is also known for its unpredictable weather and avalanche risks, particularly during the peak climbing season.

Officials have not yet released the identities of the recovered climbers.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Oil prices rise further in the global market after US attacks on Iran

    Global crude oil prices have surged following a new wave of US military strikes on Iran and reported attacks on oil tankers in the Red Sea by Yemen’s Houthi forces. Brent crude futures climbed 1.93 dollars, or 2 per cent, to reach 96 dollars per barrel, marking its highest level since 8 June. This follows a previous trading session where Brent closed up by more than 3 dollars at 94.07 dollars per barrel. Concurrently, US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude rose by 1.44 dollars, or 1.7 per cent, to trade at 88.27 dollars per barrel, extending gains after a nearly 3 per cent increase on Wednesday.

  • |

    More than 20,000 evacuated as wildfires sweep south-west France

    More than 20,000 people have been forced to leave their homes and holiday campsites as fast moving wildfires continue to spread across south western France. Emergency officials said the fires have already destroyed thousands of hectares of land in the Gironde region near the Bay of Arcachon, while firefighters are battling difficult weather conditions that are expected to worsen the situation. Gironde Prefect Sophie Brocas said around 12,000 people were evacuated overnight, with another 8,800 residents and visitors later ordered to leave as a precaution. Many of those affected were tourists staying at campsites on the Lège Cap Ferret peninsula, a popular summer destination along France’s Atlantic coast. Authorities said the evacuations were carried out in an orderly manner and no injuries had been reported. Roads and forest areas considered at high risk have been closed to protect the public while emergency crews continue to fight the flames. According to local officials, the fire has already burned around 2,400 hectares of land. Firefighters worked throughout the night to stop the blaze from spreading, but rising temperatures and stronger winds are making the operation increasingly difficult. Gironde fire service chief Marc Vermeulen warned that changing wind conditions could make the fire unpredictable during the evening, requiring crews to remain on constant alert. Hundreds of firefighters, supported by emergency vehicles and aircraft, are continuing efforts to contain the flames before they threaten more communities. The latest wildfire comes only days after two firefighters lost their lives while battling another blaze near Bordeaux Airport. French Interior Minister Laurent Nuñez paid tribute to the victims, thanking them for their service and expressing support for their families during a difficult time. Residents described scenes of thick smoke, falling ash, and darkened skies as the fire approached their communities. Yassmina de Freitas, who lives in the coastal town of Le Porge, said smoke began filling the air during the afternoon before ash and pieces of burned tree bark started falling around her neighbourhood. By evening, police ordered her family to evacuate to a temporary shelter in a nearby town. She said the family had to leave behind two cats and four chickens because they could not find them before leaving. Throughout the night she followed updates on the fire, watching the number of burned hectares continue to increase. Tourists staying in the area have also been affected. Some visitors chose to leave campsites before official evacuation orders were issued, while others waited for instructions from emergency services. Holidaymakers reported unusually quiet roads and businesses as thousands of people left the peninsula. The wildfire in Gironde is part of a wider wave of fires affecting southern Europe. In southeastern France, residents who had earlier been evacuated from parts of the Var region were allowed to return home to assess damage, although officials warned that strong winds could cause fires to restart. Italy and Spain are also struggling with severe wildfires. In Sicily, a firefighter died while responding to a blaze and another was injured. Authorities reported more than 350 fires across the island, including several major incidents that forced precautionary evacuations. Officials believe many of the fires were caused by human activity. In Spain, residents have started returning to their homes after a large wildfire near Toledo burned nearly 900 hectares of land. Emergency crews are still working to fully contain the blaze. Earlier this week, Spain also experienced its largest wildfire of the year in the Guadalajara region, where more than 35,000 hectares were destroyed before firefighters gained control. Scientists have linked the growing number of extreme wildfires across Europe to increasingly frequent heatwaves and prolonged periods of dry weather. Climate experts say Europe is warming faster than any other continent, creating conditions that allow fires to spread more rapidly and become more destructive. Emergency authorities across southern Europe remain on high alert as high temperatures continue and weather conditions increase the risk of new wildfires.

  • | |

    UK lawmaker seeks court order against Grok over fake sexualised images

    LONDON: A British lawmaker has asked a London High Court to order Elon Musk’s xAI to prevent its Grok chatbot from generating manipulated sexualised images of her without consent. Labour lawmaker Jess Asato filed the case against xAI, alleging misuse of private information and breaches of data protection laws. She is seeking permanent technical measures that would stop Grok from producing altered images of her. Asato said fake content featuring her had been created after she publicly criticised Musk and Grok. She previously said one manipulated video depicted her being drugged and prepared for a sexual assault. Her lawyers argue that the design and training of Grok enabled users to generate sexualised material involving real people. They say the case could have wider implications for artificial intelligence developers and the way privacy and data protection laws apply to AI platforms. Court documents cited by Asato’s legal team reportedly refer to internal instructions given to Grok. Her lawyers claim the system contained safeguards against assisting users involved in criminal activity but had fewer restrictions concerning adult sexual and offensive content. Asato’s lawyer, Ravi Naik, argued that the platform’s behaviour reflected decisions made by its developers. He said those decisions should have legal consequences if the system fails to comply with privacy and data protection requirements. The lawsuit comes amid growing international criticism over AI-generated sexualised images. Critics have raised concerns that such technology can be used to create non-consensual material involving women and other individuals without their knowledge. xAI previously introduced restrictions on image editing in Grok. The company said it had blocked certain requests involving people in revealing clothing where such content was illegal. However, subsequent investigations found that the safeguards did not always prevent users from generating sexualised images of people, including when users indicated that the subjects had not given consent. The controversy has also triggered legal action in other jurisdictions. Baltimore filed a lawsuit against xAI over allegedly manipulated sexualised images generated using Grok. Other cases have also emerged in the United States and the Netherlands. Grok is available through Musk’s social media platform X. The AI chatbot has faced regulatory scrutiny in several countries over its image-generation capabilities. Asato’s case could therefore become an important test of whether AI companies can be held legally responsible for harmful manipulated content generated by their systems. xAI had not immediately responded to requests for comment on the allegations. The company had also not filed a response to the lawsuit at the time of the report.

  • | |

    Momina Iqbal’s romance with husband sparks online reactions

    Pakistani actress Momina Iqbal has once again attracted attention on social media after a romantic exchange with her husband, Hamza Malik, was shared online. The actress, who has appeared in several popular television dramas, frequently shares pictures and videos from her personal life with her followers. Momina and Hamza recently came into the spotlight after sharing affectionate posts following their wedding celebrations. In a recent social media interaction, Hamza commented on his wife’s appearance and asked her why she looked so beautiful. Momina responded with a playful reply, attributing her appearance to his influence. The exchange quickly gained attention online, with screenshots and reactions circulating among social media users. While some followers viewed the interaction as a light-hearted display of affection between the couple, others criticised the public nature of their romantic exchanges. Several users described the comments as excessive and said they were uncomfortable with the couple’s frequent displays of affection on social media. Some social media users also accused the couple of being overly dramatic, while others dismissed the exchange as harmless banter between a newly married couple. The mixed response has once again highlighted the contrasting reactions celebrities often receive when they share aspects of their private lives online. Momina has maintained an active presence on social media and regularly gives fans glimpses into her professional and personal life. Her recent marriage and posts with Hamza have generated considerable discussion among followers, with many fans also expressing support for the couple

  • | |

    Oil surges above $83 as Strait of Hormuz tensions …

    Global oil prices continued their upward momentum on Friday, with Brent crude climbing above $83 per barrel as renewed tensions surrounding the Strait of Hormuz heightened concerns over potential disruptions to global energy supplies. Brent crude futures gained 1.1 percent to reach $83.48 per barrel, while US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude rose by 85 cents to $78.84 per barrel. The latest rally marks a sharp reversal from earlier this week, when crude prices had declined amid expectations that diplomatic efforts between Iran and Oman could ease regional tensions and pave the way for smoother maritime traffic through the Strait of Hormuz. However, investor sentiment shifted after reports that Iran, in coordination with Oman, proposed new restrictions on shipping through the strategic waterway. The proposal reportedly includes banning vessels belonging to countries considered hostile from passing through the strait and imposing substantial financial penalties on ships that violate the proposed regulations. The renewed uncertainty over one of the world’s most important oil transit routes has reignited fears of supply disruptions, prompting traders to push oil prices higher despite earlier forecasts predicting further declines. Analysts say developments in the Strait of Hormuz will remain a key factor influencing global energy markets in the coming days.

  • | | | |

    Dar condemns Houthi attack killing 3 Pakistanis

    ISLAMABAD: Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar has condemned a Houthi attack on a commercial vessel in the Red Sea, saying three Pakistani nationals were killed and another was injured in the incident. Dar described the attack as a serious threat to innocent lives and maritime security. He expressed concern over the loss of Pakistani lives in the incident. The foreign minister said the Pakistani government was in contact with relevant Saudi authorities and the Yemeni government to obtain further details about the attack. He also directed Pakistan’s embassy in Riyadh to provide all possible assistance for the repatriation of the bodies of the deceased Pakistanis. The embassy has also been instructed to facilitate the injured Pakistani citizen and ensure that all necessary assistance is provided. The attack reportedly took place near the Bab al-Mandab Strait, a strategically important maritime passage connecting the Red Sea with the Gulf of Aden. According to Yemeni government and coast guard sources, Houthi forces attacked a cargo vessel in the area. The attack targeted the deck of the commercial ship. Three crew members were reportedly killed in the assault. The incident has raised fresh concerns over the safety of commercial shipping in the Red Sea. The waterway is a major international trade route used by cargo vessels travelling between Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Pakistan is continuing to coordinate with authorities in Saudi Arabia and Yemen to establish further details about the incident and assist the affected Pakistani nationals and their families.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *