|

Govt extends austerity measures to control expenditure

The federal government has formally extended its existing austerity policy into the ongoing 2026-27 fiscal year as part of a continued effort to manage public spending and restrict non-essential state expenditures.

Following an official decision reached by the federal cabinet to maintain spending controls across public sector institutions, the Ministry of Finance issued a detailed notification on Tuesday outlining the continuation of these operational guidelines.

Under the reinforced financial regulations, the government has mandated the immediate abolition of all public sector positions across federal departments that have remained vacant for the past three years.

Furthermore, the policy maintains a complete, ongoing prohibition on the creation of any new posts, while also extending strict limitations on the procurement of new machinery, official equipment, and public sector vehicles.

In addition to procurement restrictions, the federal government has kept in place its ban on state-funded medical treatment abroad for officials, as well as restrictions on non-essential foreign travel funded at the government’s expense.

However, the Ministry of Finance specified that certain essential service categories will remain exempt from the purchase ban. These exemptions cover ambulances, specialised mobile medical vehicles, fire-fighting engines, buses and vans intended for educational institutions, waste and garbage collection vehicles, and operational motorcycles.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    War leaves Gaza zoo animals malnourished

    GAZA/CAIRO: The war in Gaza has taken a heavy toll on animals, with shortages of food, medicine and vaccines leaving many of them weak and malnourished. At a zoo near the Nuseirat refugee camp, visitors found animals showing clear signs of the difficult conditions. A lion remained largely inactive inside its cage, while chimpanzees sat quietly in their enclosure. The zoo is being operated by Mahmoud Gomaa, who has worked to keep the animals alive despite the continuing crisis. He previously ran a zoo in Rafah but was forced to leave the area after Israeli military operations reached the city in 2024. Gomaa said saving the animals became a priority for him during the war. He moved the surviving animals from one location to another before eventually settling in Nuseirat, where he reopened the zoo earlier this year. He said he had faced enormous difficulties in finding food and providing basic care for the animals. Before the war, Gaza had several zoos that housed wild and exotic animals. The conflict, however, has made maintaining such facilities extremely difficult. Veterinarians say the shortage of suitable food has affected the animals’ health. Some zoo owners have been forced to feed animals frozen meat because fresh food is difficult to obtain. The war has also caused direct losses among Gaza’s animals. When Gomaa left Rafah, he said he had to abandon three lions, several crocodiles and African ostriches. When he later returned, he found only the bones of the crocodiles and ostriches. The lions had also disappeared. Animal welfare experts say the impact of war extends beyond food shortages and physical injuries. Continuous explosions, aircraft noise and fighting can cause severe stress among animals. Veterinarian Amir Khalil, who has visited Gaza with the animal welfare organisation Four Paws, said animals can detect sounds and disturbances that humans may not notice. He said the constant conflict creates fear and extreme stress for them. Despite the harsh conditions, the zoo has become a temporary place of relief for some children. Children visiting the facility were able to interact with parrots and smaller monkeys. For many, it offered a rare opportunity to step away from the destruction surrounding them. Residents say children have few places left where they can play. Large parts of Gaza have been reduced to rubble, while many families continue to live in tents. The zoo therefore serves a purpose beyond displaying animals. It provides children with a brief moment of normality amid a devastating humanitarian crisis. Yet keeping the facility operating remains a major challenge. Limited supplies, damaged infrastructure and the continuing conflict threaten both the animals and the people caring for them.

  • KP to celebrate International Youth Day at University of Peshawar

    PESHAWAR: The Directorate of Youth Affairs, Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, will organise a programme to mark International Youth Day 2026 at Sahibzada Abdul Qayyum Hall, University of Peshawar, on Wednesday, August 12, from 2pm to 6pm. Chief Minister Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Sohail Afridi will attend the event as the chief guest, while Advisor to the Chief Minister for Sports and Youth Affairs Taj Muhammad Khan Tarand will also participate. The event has been planned as a celebration of the passion, potential and power of youth and will feature a range of activities aimed at recognising young people’s achievements and providing them with a platform for expression and engagement. A key feature of the programme will be a panel discussion featuring Akif Khan, Sumaira Shams, Samar Khan, Abaseen Yousafzai, Junaid of Jamboys and Asif Qurashi. The programme will also include the Youth Excellence Awards, through which outstanding young people will be recognised for their achievements and contributions. A youth anthem will be launched during the event, with Mehtab Ziyab associated with its presentation. The celebrations will also feature live music performances by Tamash Band and Junaid Kamran Siddique, besides a segment featuring inspirational stories. Director Youth Affairs Abbas Khan Afridi said the event was being organised to celebrate the talent, energy and achievements of young people in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. He said the Directorate remained committed to creating opportunities for young people to showcase their abilities, develop their potential and play a constructive role in society. “Our youth possess immense talent, creativity and potential. It is our responsibility to provide them with platforms where their abilities can be recognised and their voices can be heard,” Mr Afridi said. He added that the International Youth Day celebrations would bring together young people from different backgrounds and provide them an opportunity to engage with distinguished personalities, share ideas and celebrate youth achievements. The event carries the message “Empowering Youth, Shaping the Future” and will run from 2pm to 6pm at Shahzebda Abdul Qayyum Hall, University of Peshawar.

  • | |

    He trusted his friend for a job—Then woke up mis…

    A shocking alleged organ trafficking case has emerged from Pattoki, where a man claims he was lured by a close friend with the promise of a job, only to wake up without one of his kidneys. Police have registered a case and launched a search for the suspect as the investigation continues. According to police, the victim, identified as Rehmat, a resident of Pattoki, was allegedly approached by his friend Raza on June 26 with an offer of employment. Trusting the promise of work, Rehmat reportedly accompanied Raza, unaware of what police say happened next. Investigators allege that the suspect took Rehmat to Rawalpindi, where he was given a drink believed to have been laced with intoxicating substances. Police say the victim lost consciousness after consuming the beverage. When he regained consciousness, he allegedly discovered that one of his kidneys had been surgically removed. Authorities further allege that the kidney was illegally sold as part of an organ trafficking operation. However, police have not yet released details regarding where the procedure was carried out or whether additional suspects were involved. Investigators are examining all possible links to determine if the case is connected to a larger criminal network. According to police records, a kidnapping case regarding Rehmat’s disappearance had already been registered on July 12 after his brother-in-law filed a complaint. The victim later returned home on his own and narrated the alleged incident to his family, prompting investigators to expand the scope of the inquiry. Police have confirmed that the primary suspect, Raza, remains at large. Search operations are underway to locate and arrest him. Authorities are also collecting medical evidence and recording witness statements to verify the victim’s claims and strengthen the investigation. Illegal organ trafficking remains a serious criminal offense in Pakistan and poses significant risks to victims, many of whom are targeted through deception, financial desperation, or false promises of employment. Law enforcement agencies continue to urge the public to remain cautious of suspicious job offers and to immediately report any unusual activities to the authorities. As the investigation progresses, police say further legal action will depend on the evidence gathered. Officials have urged the public to avoid speculation and allow investigators to complete their work. More details are expected to emerge as the case develops and authorities continue their efforts to apprehend the suspect.

  • | | |

    Pakistan’s solar capacity reaches 38,000MW: …

    ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Power Awais Leghari has said Pakistan’s solar energy capacity has reached 38,000 megawatts (MW), highlighting the country’s growing shift toward renewable energy and its commitment to reducing dependence on imported fuels. Speaking at the Battery Storage Flexibility 2026 Conference, the minister said the government aims to increase the share of clean energy in Pakistan’s electricity mix to 90% by 2035. He said expanding renewable energy and developing battery storage solutions are key to strengthening the country’s energy security and lowering the import bill for conventional fuels. Leghari said the government is promoting the development of a local battery energy storage industry, encouraging domestic engineering, system integration and battery management software. He added that the Ministry of Industries is finalizing a national policy to support local battery manufacturing. The minister announced that the government is also preparing a National Battery Energy Storage Framework, which will include safety standards, grid connection guidelines and investment regulations to support the growth of the sector. According to Leghari, clean energy now accounts for 55% of Pakistan’s total electricity generation, reflecting significant progress in the country’s transition toward sustainable energy sources. He said a National Steering Committee for Battery Energy Storage Systems has already been established, while technical and regulatory working groups have also been formed to guide policy development and implementation. Leghari further revealed that pilot battery energy storage projects have been approved for electricity distribution companies. The data collected from these projects will help shape future regulatory policies and improve the country’s energy planning. The minister said Pakistan has emerged as one of the world’s fastest-growing distributed energy markets and assured investors that the government will provide a clear, transparent and long-term regulatory framework to encourage investment.

  • |

    Cristiano Ronaldo set to enter acting after World Cup defeat

    Cristiano Ronaldo is preparing for a surprising new chapter away from the football pitch, with the Portugal superstar reportedly set to make his acting debut in an upcoming football drama series. The five-time Ballon d’Or winner is expected to appear in “Day 1s”, a new series centred on the world of football agents. According to British media reports, Ronaldo will make a cameo appearance while also taking on the role of executive producer. The move marks an intriguing expansion of Ronaldo’s already wide-ranging career, as the football icon increasingly explores projects beyond playing the sport that made him a global superstar. Ronaldo moves from football to the screen “Day 1s” is reportedly built around the story of a fictional football agent and the pressures, ambitions and personalities surrounding the modern game. British actor Damian Lewis is set to play the lead role, while British rapper Dave and newcomer actress Carlotta Banat are also part of the cast. Ronaldo’s involvement is expected to add an extra layer of attention to the production, particularly because of his enormous global following and deep connection with football. The series is already in production, with some scenes reportedly filmed at The Hive Stadium, home of English League Two club Barnet. Thierry Henry also joins the cast Ronaldo will not be the only major football name making the jump into the fictional world. Former France and Arsenal star Thierry Henry is also expected to appear in a cameo role. Interestingly, the concept for “Day 1s” was reportedly developed by Darren Dean, Henry’s former agent, who is also involved in the project as an executive producer. The involvement of major football personalities could make the series particularly appealing to fans who want to see what happens behind the scenes of the sport. Streaming battle could be next Reports suggest that several major streaming platforms could show interest in acquiring the rights to “Day 1s”, potentially triggering strong competition for the series. For Ronaldo, the project represents more than just a brief appearance on screen. In addition to his football career, he has expanded into business, media and other entertainment ventures in recent years. His role as both actor and executive producer could therefore signal the beginning of another major chapter in his career. After years of dominating football headlines, Ronaldo may soon have audiences watching him for a completely different reason — not for what he does with a football, but for what he does in front of a camera.

  • | |

    Thailand Celebrates the Birthday of His Royal Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn

    Today, July 28th, 2026, the Kingdom of Thailand marks the birthday of His Royal Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn Phra Vajiraklaochaoyuhua, the tenth monarch of the Chakri Dynasty. Born on this day in 1952, His Royal Majesty has served as King since 2016, following in the footsteps of his late father, King Bhumibol Adulyadej the Great. […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *