indonesia central bank
|

Indonesia central bank chief resigns suddenly

JAKARTA: Indonesia’s central bank governor Perry Warjiyo has unexpectedly stepped down, raising concerns among investors about the future independence of monetary policy and the stability of financial markets.

President Prabowo Subianto accepted Warjiyo’s resignation on Monday. The government said the governor resigned for personal reasons.

Destry Damayanti, a senior deputy governor at Bank Indonesia (BI), has been appointed interim governor. She has pledged to maintain continuity and ensure that the central bank continues carrying out its responsibilities.

The surprise resignation came at a sensitive time for Indonesia’s economy. Bank Indonesia has faced growing pressure to support the government’s ambitious economic growth plans.

The Indonesian rupiah has also faced significant pressure. It fell to a record low in June amid concerns over fiscal management and the independence of the central bank.

Following news of Warjiyo’s departure, the rupiah weakened further. It fell as much as 0.36% to around 18,000 against the US dollar. Indonesia’s main stock index also moved between gains and losses during volatile trading.

Analysts warned that the sudden leadership change could unsettle investors.

Some economists said concerns could increase if the next permanent governor is seen as closely aligned with the government. They stressed that Bank Indonesia’s independence is important for maintaining investor confidence and stable monetary policy.

Warjiyo submitted his resignation to the president on Saturday. Officials did not provide further details about his personal reasons.

Warjiyo has spent decades at Bank Indonesia. He joined the institution in 1984 and was appointed governor for the first time in 2018.

He was reappointed in 2023 for another five-year term.

The appointment of his permanent successor will require both presidential and parliamentary approval. The president will nominate a candidate, who will then face a parliamentary suitability review before a final decision is made.

The government has not yet submitted a permanent nomination.

Officials have urged investors and other market participants to remain calm during the transition. They said the selection process would be conducted transparently and would not interfere with monetary policy or financial stability.

Destry said the central bank would continue working to maintain rupiah stability and protect the country’s financial system.

The leadership change comes after Indonesia introduced legislative changes affecting the central bank and other independent financial regulators. The new framework gives lawmakers greater authority to issue binding recommendations to these institutions.

The changes have already raised questions about the level of Bank Indonesia’s independence.

Credit rating agencies have also been monitoring developments surrounding the central bank’s mandate. Moody’s and Fitch previously highlighted concerns about changes to the institution’s role when they revised Indonesia’s credit outlook to negative.

S&P Global Ratings, however, maintained a stable outlook this month. It said Bank Indonesia had maintained operational independence broadly comparable with other central banks in the region.

Bank Indonesia has recently taken measures to support the rupiah and attract foreign investment. It unexpectedly kept interest rates unchanged last week while introducing new incentives aimed at encouraging capital inflows.

The central bank had previously raised interest rates by a total of 100 basis points since May to support the currency.

The latest resignation adds another layer of uncertainty for investors as the government seeks faster economic growth.

Markets will now closely watch the selection of Warjiyo’s permanent successor. Investors are expected to assess whether the new leadership can maintain monetary stability while responding to the government’s economic priorities.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Human-like robotic head amazes people with realist…

    The gap between humans and machines is becoming smaller as robotics technology continues to advance. A Chinese startup has introduced a highly advanced robotic head that can imitate human facial expressions, attracting attention for its realistic movements and lifelike appearance. The company reportedly behind the innovation is AgiHead Farm, founded in 2024 by Columbia University engineer Yuhang Hu. The startup introduced the robotic head known as Origin M1, which aims to create more natural interaction between humans and machines. Unlike traditional robots that often display limited movements, the robotic head is designed to reproduce subtle facial expressions. These include eyebrow movements, slight smiles, eye movements, and other small changes that are important for human communication. The robot uses a silicone-based outer layer and a network of miniature motors placed beneath the surface. These motors work similarly to human facial muscles by expanding and contracting to create different expressions. This technology allows the robot to respond in a way that appears more natural compared with earlier robotic systems. The robotic head is also equipped with cameras hidden inside its eyes, allowing it to observe its surroundings and track movement. Built-in microphones and speakers enable it to listen and communicate with people, creating the possibility of more interactive human-machine conversations. The advanced technology comes with a high price tag. According to reports, the most sophisticated version of the robotic head costs around $150,000, making it primarily a product for research institutions, technology companies, and specialized applications. The company aims to further improve the system by adding lip-sync technology and advanced artificial intelligence models. Future versions could potentially understand human speech better and respond with facial expressions that match the tone and emotions of a conversation. Experts believe that realistic facial expressions are one of the biggest challenges in developing human-like robots. While robots have made significant progress in movement and artificial intelligence, creating machines that communicate naturally through facial expressions remains a complex field. The development of lifelike robotic faces represents a major step in robotics research. As artificial intelligence and robotics continue to evolve, technologies like Origin M1 could influence future applications in education, healthcare, customer service, and human-computer interaction.

  • | |

    Six Pakistani dramas that gave women powerful stories

    Pakistani television has produced many memorable female characters. Some of them stood out because they were not written simply as victims waiting to be rescued. Over the decades, several dramas showed women working, making difficult choices, facing social pressures and rebuilding their lives. These characters were ambitious, emotional and flawed. Most importantly, they were allowed to shape their own stories. Here are six dramas that created some of Pakistani television’s most memorable female leads. Ankahi (1982) Written by Haseena Moin, Ankahi introduced audiences to Sana Murad, played by Shehnaz Sheikh. Sana is confident, outspoken and determined. After her father’s death creates financial problems for the family, she decides to take responsibility. Despite having limited qualifications, she manages to secure a job after an unexpected meeting with a company chairman. Her journey through professional life becomes a mix of humour, challenges and personal growth. Sana’s character was significant because she was not defined by marriage or romance. She wanted to work and create a future for herself. Tanhaiyaan (1985) Haseena Moin’s Tanhaiyaan, directed by Shahzad Khalil, focused on two sisters who suddenly lose their parents and their family home. Played by Marina Khan and Shehnaz Sheikh, the sisters are forced to rebuild their lives independently. The drama presented women earning their own income without treating their decision to work as something unusual. Their struggles were balanced with friendship, humour and everyday challenges. That combination helped the drama remain popular long after its original broadcast. Maat (2011) Umera Ahmad’s Maat followed two sisters whose different priorities eventually take them in completely different directions. Saba Qamar played Saman, a woman strongly attracted to wealth, comfort and social status. Her sister Aiman, played by Aamina Sheikh, takes a quieter path. Aiman is repeatedly underestimated and overlooked. She faces difficult circumstances but continues building her life with patience and resilience. As the story progresses, the sisters’ fortunes change dramatically. The drama explores how ambition, relationships and personal choices can shape a person’s future. Durr-e-Shehwar (2012) Durr-e-Shehwar explored marriage from a perspective that was rarely shown without romanticising sacrifice. The central character enters marriage expecting affection and companionship. Instead, she faces emotional distance from her husband and hostility from her mother-in-law. The story is later viewed through the eyes of her daughter, Shandana. She initially believes her parents had a perfect marriage. She eventually discovers the struggles her mother endured. The drama raises questions about compromise, expectations and the sacrifices women make to preserve relationships. Digest Writer (2014) Saba Qamar played Fareeda, a young woman whose ambitions are often overshadowed by the expectations placed on her family’s son. Writing becomes Fareeda’s escape and her way of expressing herself. She begins publishing stories under the name Rashk-e-Hina. Her talent eventually attracts the attention of a television producer, giving her an opportunity to enter the drama industry. However, success does not come easily. Fareeda faces professional rivalry, betrayal and pressure from her family. The drama presents ambition as something meaningful while also showing the personal cost of pursuing a career in a difficult environment. Udaari (2016) Udaari tackled one of the most sensitive subjects in Pakistani television. The story follows Zebo, whose childhood is shattered by abuse. However, the drama does not define her entire identity through her trauma. Instead, Zebo gradually finds the courage to speak about what happened to her. Her mother also undergoes a major transformation. After realising the danger her daughter faces, she chooses to protect Zebo and rebuild their lives. Meera, a singer living nearby, also becomes an important source of support. One of the drama’s most powerful moments comes when Zebo confronts her abuser in court. Rather than accepting shame for what happened to her, she identifies herself as a survivor. Across four decades, these dramas demonstrate how Pakistani television has portrayed women in changing ways. From Sana’s determination to build a career to Zebo’s courage to seek justice, these characters were given stories beyond romance and victimhood.

  • | | |

    Violence against Balochistan’s people is  futil…

    QUETTA: Balochistan Chief Minister Mir Sarfaraz Ahmed Bugti has criticised extremist elements for attempting to draw the Baloch population into a cycle of violence, saying attacks on infrastructure ultimately hurt ordinary citizens and undermine the province’s development. Speaking at the inauguration of the “Rasool-e-Rahmat (PBUH)” calligraphy exhibition, Bugti said the destruction of bridges, roads and commercial transport directly affects livelihoods and restricts economic opportunities for local communities. The chief minister said the provincial government would organise an international calligraphy exhibition, “Bayan-ul-Marsoos”, in Quetta next year, bringing together prominent artists and calligraphers from Turkey and other parts of the Islamic world. He said such international cultural events would help project Balochistan as a peaceful region with strong cultural and artistic traditions. He added that hosting major programmes around Pakistan’s Independence Day would also demonstrate the province’s potential to the international community. Discussing regional and international developments, Bugti said Pakistan’s growing cooperation with Saudi Arabia and Turkey reflected an evolving geopolitical landscape. He maintained that the defence cooperation was aimed at promoting security and peace rather than aggression. Bugti also expressed confidence in Pakistan’s future, praising the leadership of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, President Asif Ali Zardari and Chief of Army Staff General Asim Munir. He said no force could stop Pakistan from moving towards what he described as a decisive victory.

  • | |

    Zara Larsson unfollows BTS members after Chris Bro…

    Zara Larsson has become the center of an online debate after social media users claimed the Swedish pop star unfollowed members of BTS following their alleged attendance at a Chris Brown concert in Toronto earlier this month. The claim originated from a parody account that linked BTS members J-Hope and RM to the controversy, suggesting Larsson had unfollowed them because of their reported appearance at Brown’s concert. The post quickly gained attention because Larsson previously collaborated with BTS on the 2019 song “A Brand New Day,” recorded with J-Hope for the BTS World soundtrack. However, fans soon challenged the claim, pointing out that Larsson had not been following the members’ individual Instagram accounts in the first place. Others also noted that she continues to follow BTS’s official account, casting further doubt on the suggestion that she deliberately unfollowed the members as a response to the concert. The discussion has nevertheless gained momentum because of Larsson’s previously public stance toward Brown. In a February 2026 interview with Cosmopolitan, the singer spoke about distancing herself from the artist and said she had blocked his music on Spotify. Her comments have continued to fuel conversations about how artists navigate professional associations with controversial figures. The latest social media speculation has therefore reopened broader discussions about celebrity relationships, artistic collaborations and accountability. While fans have largely debunked the specific unfollowing claim, the episode demonstrates how quickly unverified posts can spread when they involve major artists and long-standing collaborations. Neither Larsson nor the BTS members have publicly addressed the viral claim. For now, there is no confirmed evidence that Larsson changed her social-media relationship with BTS because of the Toronto concert. The incident also highlights the challenges celebrities face in an era where social-media activity can become the basis for widespread speculation, even when the original claims are based on incomplete or misleading information.

  • | |

    Pogacar on verge of Fifth Tour de France title aft…

    Defending champion Tadej Pogacar is on the verge of winning a record-equalling fifth Tour de France after taking a storming victory on stage 19 to Alpe d’Huez. The UAE Team Emirates-XRG rider pulled more than three minutes back on a breakaway group on the hors category final climb up to the famous ski resort, which was flanked by thousands of spectators from around the world. Pogacar, 27, is aiming to become the joint-most successful rider in the Tour’s history with five wins, alongside legends Jacques Anquetil, Eddy Merckx, Bernard Hinault, and Miguel Indurain. He holds a dominant lead over Belgium’s Remco Evenepoel of seven minutes 11 seconds, despite the Belgian’s improved climbing form this year. Pogacar’s Mexican teammate Isaac del Toro remains third and in the white young riders’ classification leader’s jersey, nine minutes 42 seconds down. The peloton will take on Alpe d’Huez once again on Saturday for the three-week race’s mountainous ‘queen’ stage, which includes an extra 2,000 metres of climbing. “It was very cool to win up here – it was a crazy atmosphere all climb and I’m thankful for the team that I could pull it off,” said Pogacar. “When I heard some of the guys [were] dropped when [teammate] Felix [Grosschartner] set a super good pace at the beginning of the climb, I was already going full gas, as the breakaway was so strong. Every kilometre of Alpe d’Huez I had good legs and not many could follow [me].” Pogacar crossed the line six seconds ahead of France’s Lenny Martinez of Bahrain-Victorious, who thumped his handlebars several times in frustration as he crossed the line. Ecuador’s in-form rider Richard Carapaz of EF Education-Easypost, who won Thursday’s stage to Ocieres Merlette, finished a further three seconds behind in third. A 40-plus strong breakaway had established a lead over the peloton and yellow-jersey wearer Pogacar by several minutes mid-stage, but the main pack began to slowly reel them in. It was Martinez, the USA’s Sepp Kuss of Visma-Lease a Bike, and a typically animated Carapaz who eventually emerged as the three seemingly set to battle for victory as they began Alpe d’Huez’s legendary twisting ribbons of tarmac. But Pogacar had other ideas and set a record time on the final climb of 35 minutes 27 seconds, beating the time set by Italy’s legendary Marco Pantani in 1997. The victory puts Pogacar in a commanding position heading into the final stages of the Tour. With a lead of over seven minutes, he is all but assured of his fifth title, provided he avoids any mishaps in the remaining stages. The Slovenian rider has been in dominant form throughout the race, winning multiple stages and showcasing his incredible climbing ability. As the Tour enters its final days, fans will be eagerly watching to see if Pogacar can cement his place among the legends of the sport. His performance on Alpe d’Huez has already etched his name into Tour history, and a fifth victory would confirm his status as one of the greatest riders of all time. The final stages promise more excitement as the peloton battles for stage wins and final classification positions, but the spotlight remains firmly on Pogacar as he closes in on another historic achievement.

  • | |

    Multan airport records highest-ever 37 flights in …

    MULTAN: Flight operations at Multan International Airport have increased, with the airport recording a new daily high of 37 flights on Wednesday. According to the flight schedule, 449 flights were operated across Pakistan during the past 24 hours, while 68 flights were cancelled and 112 flights faced delays of up to seven hours. Of the 37 flights operated at Multan airport, 18 arrived and 19 departed, marking the highest number of daily flight operations recorded at the airport. The schedule showed that 135 flights were operated from Karachi, 118 from Islamabad, 105 from Lahore, 17 from Peshawar, 15 from Sialkot and 12 from Faisalabad. Flight delays were also reported at several major airports. Karachi recorded delays involving nine flights, while Lahore and Islamabad each reported 33 delayed flights. Multan had eight delayed flights, Peshawar six, Sialkot eight, Faisalabad nine and Quetta six. A number of flights were also cancelled during the same period. Karachi recorded 20 cancellations, Lahore 21, Islamabad 12 and Multan three. Peshawar, Faisalabad and Sialkot each recorded two cancelled flights, while six flights were cancelled at Quetta airport. The latest figures indicate increased flight activity at Multan International Airport, with the 37-flight total setting a new daily record for the southern Punjab city’s airport.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *