iran shifts offensive
| |

Iran shifts to offensive posture as Hormuz standof…

Iran has moved from a defensive to what a senior Iranian official called a fully offensive strategy, citing a deadlock in efforts to reach a lasting end to its war with the United States, according to a person familiar with the matter who spoke to a foreign news agency on Monday.

Progress toward peace talks and the resumption of oil tanker traffic through the Strait of Hormuz has stalled, with no indication that either side is moving closer to ending the conflict the United States and Israel launched on February 28. The official said Iranian entities must prepare to escalate tensions in the strait and across the wider region, adding that Tehran stands ready to make difficult decisions and would carry out a precise military strike to break the US naval blockade if diplomacy collapses. Washington did not immediately respond to those remarks, though President Donald Trump told Fox News earlier in the day that Iran should raise the white flag of surrender. Throughout the conflict, Trump has swung between threats of further escalation and claims that a peace deal sits within reach.

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps pushed back hard on one such claim Monday, rejecting as false Trump’s assertion that Washington maintains backchannel contact with IRGC officials on matters related to the war. Spokesman Hossein Mohibbi told Iran’s Tasnim news agency that no talks are taking place between IRGC officials and American counterparts, describing Trump’s claims as fantasies stemming from desperation over battlefield setbacks. Mohibbi said diplomatic matters fall to other Iranian institutions and remain outside the Guard’s purview, adding that current information from the Foreign Ministry confirms no talks are underway even at that level. He argued Trump’s statements amount to an attempt to influence global energy prices. Trump had told reporters earlier Monday that his administration keeps a backchannel with the IRGC and speaks directly with its officials inside Iran.

Trump also issued a separate warning aimed at Oman, saying Washington would respond with force if the sultanate interferes with US Iran negotiations. Asked about Oman’s role in talks touching on Iran and the Strait of Hormuz, Trump told Fox News the United States would bomb Oman if it gets in the way. The comment came after Iran said Saturday that it had reached agreement with Oman on a shipping route map for the strait following weeks of technical talks. Trump separately confirmed the administration’s direct channel with the IRGC and repeated that Tehran should surrender, calling Iranian officials skilled negotiators who are nonetheless losing ground.

Fighting also intensified elsewhere in the region. Yemen’s Houthi movement claimed Monday that it struck several Saudi naval vessels along with a weapons depot in a broad missile and drone assault. Spokesman Yahya Saree said a Saudi amphibious transport ship and accompanying vessels were hit in a precise aerial attack involving multiple ballistic missiles, claiming several ships sank while others caught fire. He said Houthi forces also used multiple drones to strike a Saudi weapons depot at the Sahn al Jin camp in Yemen’s Marib province. Saudi authorities had not confirmed the claims as of publication. Separately, Yemen’s army said Monday it detected two hypersonic ballistic missiles fired by Houthi forces toward the city of Mocha and the Red Sea, launched from a former air defense brigade headquarters east of Taiz. No information on casualties or damage was immediately available, and the Houthis did not comment. The launch followed a claim from Yemen’s National Resistance Forces that Houthi fighters had targeted Mocha with seven drones a day earlier, adding to fears of renewed full scale conflict in a country that had seen relative calm since April 2022 following nearly twelve years of civil war.

On the Iranian side, IRGC Deputy Commander in Chief Major General Mostafa Izadi said Iranian forces shot down more than 200 enemy aircraft during the recent war with the United States and Israel, according to Iran’s Fars news agency. Izadi said the conflict left the Islamic system undamaged and demonstrated Iran’s strength to the world. Parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf went further, declaring both a military and political victory over Washington and Israel on the day a 60 day ceasefire under the Islamabad memorandum was set to expire. Ghalibaf said the US and Israel failed to achieve any of nine publicly stated objectives in the war, calling it their biggest failure. Trump, meanwhile, reiterated on his Truth Social platform that Iran cannot possess a nuclear weapon in any form, describing this as Washington’s permanent top priority.

Iran also pressed a separate grievance Monday, with Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei blaming pollution in Gulf waters on decades of US military presence and operations in the region. Baghaei said the environmental damage stems from American military activity over the past five decades and called for Washington to be held accountable, estimating losses in the trillions of dollars. His comments followed Iran’s request last week for compensation after an oil slick reached the island of Qeshm, which officials said has since been cleaned up. Separately, salvage efforts continued for a grounded tanker leaking Russian crude off Oman’s coast, with officials citing monsoon weather and the shallow, rocky seabed as major obstacles. Mohammed bin Abdullah al Rawahi of Oman’s transport ministry said the conditions expose salvage vessels to operational and navigational risks, compounded by flooding damage to one side of the tanker.

Diplomatic efforts on Gaza also advanced Monday, with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu due to meet Trump envoy Jared Kushner a day after a rare meeting between Kushner and Hamas officials in Cairo. A diplomatic source said Hamas leader Khalil Al Hayya attended some sessions with Kushner and Gaza peace envoy Nickolay Mladenov. Trump said in late July that a deal had been reached on the complete disarmament of Hamas and other armed groups, though Netanyahu, facing an October re election vote, has publicly rejected the plan. Trump separately welcomed the signing of the Makkah Joint Defence Agreement by Turkiye, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, saying on Truth Social he was very happy to see the pact finally completed.

Similar Posts

  • Thailand Protests to Cambodia After Mortar Incident, Vows Proportional Response

    BANGKOK – Thailand has formally protested to Cambodia following an incident this morning in which a Cambodian mortar round landed on Thai territory, injuring a Thai soldier. Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul announced the diplomatic démarche after chairing the weekly Cabinet meeting, stating that Thailand is seeking clarification from Cambodia and is prepared to respond if […]

  • |

    Pakistan’s Abdullah Iqbal makes history in UEFA Champions League

    STOCKHOLM: Pakistani international Abdullah Iqbal has achieved a major milestone in the country’s football history by becoming the first Pakistan national team player to feature in a UEFA Champions League qualifying match. The historic moment came when the defender made his debut for Swedish club Mjällby AIF during their UEFA Champions League qualifying fixture against Gibraltar’s Lincoln Red Imps on Tuesday. Iqbal entered the match in the 62nd minute, marking a landmark achievement for both his career and Pakistani football. His appearance places him among a select group of Pakistani footballers to compete on one of Europe’s biggest club football stages. The 26-year-old has become an important figure for Pakistan’s national team in recent years and is widely regarded as one of the country’s most accomplished overseas-based footballers. His Champions League qualifying debut is expected to inspire young footballers in Pakistan, where the sport has been striving for greater international recognition. Although Pakistani-origin footballer Atta Hussain previously played in UEFA Champions League qualifiers, he had not yet represented Pakistan at the international level at the time. Abdullah Iqbal is therefore the first player to achieve the milestone after officially representing the Pakistan national team. Football fans across Pakistan celebrated the achievement on social media, describing it as another proud moment for the country’s growing presence in international football. Many supporters praised Iqbal’s dedication and expressed hope that his success would encourage more Pakistani players to pursue professional careers in Europe. The achievement also highlights the increasing impact of overseas-based Pakistani footballers, who continue to strengthen the national team with experience gained in competitive European leagues. While Abdullah Iqbal’s appearance came in the qualifying rounds rather than the Champions League group stage, it remains a historic first for Pakistan and another sign of the country’s gradual progress on the international football scene. His landmark debut is expected to inspire the next generation of Pakistani footballers dreaming of competing at the highest level of European club football.

  • Thai Heritage Chief Vows Restoration of Temples Damaged in Border Conflict

    BANGKOK – A senior Thai heritage official has pledged that ancient temples damaged in the ongoing border clashes with Cambodia can be fully restored to their original state, though he stressed that such work must await a return to peace along the frontier. Thailand Intensifies Strikes on Cambodian Drone Bases and Border Casinos Tossaporn Srisaman, […]

  • | |

    BLACKPINK marks 10 years with emotional fan tributes

    BLACKPINK has reached a major milestone, celebrating a decade since its debut with all four members coming together for a special 10th-anniversary event. Jennie, Lisa, Jisoo and Rosé reunited on Friday, August 7, as the group marked 10 years since beginning its journey in the K-pop industry. The occasion also gave the members an opportunity to reflect on their career and the support they have received from fans around the world. Following the celebration, the members shared personal messages and photographs on social media, giving BLINKs a glimpse into the significance of the milestone. Jennie shared an emotional tribute expressing her gratitude to fans who have supported the group throughout its decade-long career. She reflected on how much she has experienced since BLACKPINK’s debut, including performing on major stages, travelling around the world and meeting people who influenced her journey. The singer also acknowledged that her career has come with challenges, but said the constant encouragement from fans has helped her continue pursuing her dreams. Jisoo also joined the anniversary celebrations online by sharing a previously unseen photograph from the special event. The image showed all four members together, giving fans another memorable moment from the gathering. The reunion also came after online speculation about Rosé’s attendance at the anniversary celebration. Questions had circulated about whether the singer would be able to attend because of her personal schedule. Her agency, The Black Label, subsequently addressed the speculation and provided clarification regarding her participation in the commemorative occasion. BLACKPINK’s 10-year milestone has particular significance because the group has remained one of the most influential K-pop acts internationally since its debut. The group was formed by YG Entertainment after its members were recruited through auditions in South Korea and other countries. Jennie, Lisa, Jisoo and Rosé each underwent years of intensive training before officially debuting on August 8, 2016. Their training included vocals, dancing and language skills, preparing them for careers that would eventually take them far beyond South Korea. Over the past decade, BLACKPINK has established a global fanbase and achieved major milestones in music, touring and entertainment. The anniversary gathering therefore became more than a celebration of the group’s debut. For the members and their fans, it marked a decade of music, performances, challenges and shared memories.

  • |

    Demi Lovato gets nostalgic as ‘Camp Rock 3’ nears release

    Demi Lovato is taking a nostalgic trip back to where her career first began. Her tribute comes just days before “Camp Rock 3” premieres on August 13. The 33-year-old singer and actress famously played Mitchie in both “Camp Rock” and its sequel, “Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam.” On August 10, she took to Instagram to share a heartfelt post about the franchise. Lovato shared a mix of movie stills and behind-the-scenes photos from her time on the original films. She captioned the post simply, expressing that Mitchie will always hold a special place in her heart. Fans quickly flooded the comments section, sharing their own emotional reactions to the throwback. Many expressed how much the character and franchise meant to them growing up. One user wrote that Mitchie Torres would always remain a beloved character to them. Another said “Camp Rock” holds an irreplaceable spot in their heart, while a third called the photo a perfect snapshot of their childhood. This nostalgic post follows Lovato’s earlier confirmation that she will officially be reprising her role as Mitchie in the upcoming third film. She made the announcement on X, sharing a personal photo alongside the caption. In her message, Lovato playfully asked fans if they’d missed her, signing off in character as Mitchie herself. The announcement generated immediate excitement among longtime fans of the franchise. Her return marks a major milestone, arriving 18 years after the original “Camp Rock” first introduced her to audiences back in 2008. That film played a key role in launching her career as both an actress and singer. Lovato will not be returning alone either. She’ll be joined once again by the Jonas Brothers, who are reprising their roles as the band Connect 3. Joe Jonas returns as Shane Gray, Nick Jonas as Nate Gray, and Kevin Jonas as Jason Gray. Beyond acting, the brothers are also serving as executive producers on the new film, adding another layer of involvement to the long-awaited reunion.

  • | |

    Pakistan backs Saudi Arabia’s right to self-defe…

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has strongly condemned the attack on Saudi Arabia, reaffirming that every sovereign nation has the right to defend itself under international law. Islamabad stated that Saudi Arabia’s military response in Iraq should be viewed within the framework of legitimate self-defence. Speaking at the weekly media briefing, Foreign Office spokesperson Tahir Andrabi said Article 51 of the United Nations Charter grants states the inherent right to take necessary measures to protect their sovereignty and security against armed attacks. He said Saudi Arabia’s actions should be understood in that legal context. The spokesperson stressed that Pakistan remains committed to promoting peace and stability in the Middle East and urged all parties to exercise restraint to prevent further escalation of regional tensions. Andrabi also said Pakistan supports the effective implementation of the Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) involving the United States and Iran, adding that diplomatic efforts are continuing to reduce tensions and encourage dialogue among the concerned parties. During the briefing, he welcomed the ratification of a defence cooperation agreement between Pakistan and Kuwait, describing it as a positive step toward strengthening bilateral ties. He noted that Pakistan also maintains close defence cooperation with Jordan and Bahrain and continues to expand collaboration in multiple sectors. He added that if any new defence agreements are finalised with Jordan or Bahrain in the future, the government will inform the public and the media at the appropriate time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *