moscow restaurant bomb
|

Moscow restaurant bomb blast kills three, injures …

MOSCOW: A powerful explosion caused by a homemade bomb killed three people and injured at least 21 others outside an upscale restaurant in central Moscow on Saturday evening, prompting a major security operation and a high-level investigation by Russian authorities.

According to Russia’s Anti-Terrorism Committee, the blast occurred shortly before 8pm local time near the Balzi Rossi Italian restaurant, located in one of Moscow’s iconic Stalin-era skyscrapers at Kudrinskaya Square.

Officials said an unidentified woman carrying the explosive device attempted to enter the restaurant but was stopped by a security guard. Moments later, the bomb detonated, killing the woman, the security guard and a restaurant customer.

Police said the injured suffered wounds of varying severity and were rushed to nearby hospitals, while emergency responders secured the area and searched for further threats.

Video released by Russia’s state news agency RIA showed heavily armed security personnel and emergency crews surrounding the blast site, which was immediately sealed off as investigators gathered evidence.

Authorities have not disclosed the identities of the victims or indicated who may have been behind the attack. Investigators are examining multiple possibilities as the probe continues.

The incident comes amid heightened security concerns in Russia, more than four years after the escalation of the war in Ukraine. Earlier this year, Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) announced enhanced protection measures for senior military officials following a series of assassinations and attempted attacks that Moscow blamed on Kyiv.

Meanwhile, Russian newspaper Kommersant, citing unnamed sources, reported that investigators suspect the explosive device may have been intended to target guests gathered on the restaurant’s outdoor summer terrace. The report also suggested the bomb could have been detonated remotely, raising the possibility that the woman carrying it may not have known she was transporting an explosive.

The restaurant’s official website stated that it had been closed to the public on Saturday due to a private event, adding another layer of mystery to the incident.

As forensic teams continue examining the scene, authorities have urged the public to avoid speculation while the investigation remains underway. The blast has once again highlighted ongoing security challenges in the Russian capital and raised fresh concerns about public safety in crowded urban areas.

Similar Posts

  • | | |

    TTAP announces relief mission to AJK amid tensions

    ISLAMABAD: The opposition alliance Tehreek Tahaffuz-e-Ayeen Pakistan (TTAP) has announced that its senior leadership will travel to Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) on Monday with relief supplies, while criticizing the government’s handling of the situation in the region and calling for dialogue to address ongoing political tensions. Speaking at a press conference in Islamabad, TTAP spokesperson Akhunzada Hussain Yousafzai said the delegation would carry humanitarian assistance for affected residents and express solidarity with people in Rawalakot, where a protest sit-in has continued in recent days. Yousafzai alleged that the government had responded to public dissent with force rather than engagement. He claimed that, according to what he described as verified information, dozens of people had lost their lives during the unrest. His claims have not been independently verified, and no official confirmation of the casualty figures was immediately available. The spokesperson also alleged that leaders associated with the Joint Awami Action Committee (JAAC) had either been killed or had bounties placed on them. Authorities have not publicly responded to these specific allegations. Political tensions in Azad Jammu and Kashmir have persisted since widespread demonstrations erupted last year over demands for constitutional, administrative and governance reforms. The JAAC-led protests called for a broad package of changes, including an end to privileges for the political elite, the abolition of 12 legislative assembly seats reserved for refugees and the removal of the existing quota system. The unrest resulted in deadly clashes before negotiations between the government and the JAAC produced an agreement covering several core demands. As part of that understanding, both sides agreed to establish a high-level committee to examine the issue of refugee seats in the AJK Legislative Assembly. However, the issue remains unresolved. The JAAC continues to demand the abolition of the reserved refugee seats, while the government maintains its opposition to the proposal. Yousafzai argued that attempts to suppress opposing voices had deepened political divisions and contributed to the emergence of public movements in the region. He maintained that all outstanding issues could be resolved through meaningful negotiations rather than confrontation. The opposition alliance said its planned visit is intended to provide humanitarian support while also urging all stakeholders to pursue peaceful dialogue. Political observers say the coming days could prove significant as discussions over governance reforms and representation continue to shape the political landscape in Azad Jammu and Kashmir.

  • Election Commission Chief Targets February 8 for General Election

    BANGKOK – Narong Klunwarin, the newly appointed chairman of the Election Commission (EC), has affirmed the agency’s readiness to organize a general election following the dissolution of the House of Representatives, suggesting February 8, 2026, as a possible poll date. Thai Prime Minister Anutin Dissolves House, Calls Snap Election Speaking after a ceremony at the […]

  • Cambodia Threatens UN Maritime Mechanism If Thailand Withdraws From 2001 Border Agreement

    BANGKOK — Cambodia has signaled it will escalate a long-standing maritime boundary dispute with Thailand to international legal mechanisms under the United Nations if Bangkok proceeds with plans to withdraw from a bilateral memorandum of understanding signed in 2001, according to senior Cambodian foreign ministry officials. 8.2 Billion Baht Asset Haul Linked to Cambodian Scam […]

  • |

    Nigerian security forces rescue over 300 hostages in record single-day operation

    Nigerian joint security forces have rescued 308 abducted citizens from the Kainji Lake National Park in Niger state, marking the largest single-day hostage recovery operation in the country’s history. The intelligence-led operation involved the Nigerian military, police, Department of State Services, and the National Counter-Terrorism Centre. Those freed include 163 residents abducted during a February attack on the Woro and Nuku communities in Kwara state, alongside 145 individuals seized from neighbouring Niger state. During the February assault on Woro, the suspected killed more than 150 people and burned large parts of the village after residents refused to renounce the Nigerian government. Human rights monitoring groups reported that many victims of the raid were found bound and executed. President Bola Ahmed Tinubu commended the security services for their coordination, stating that the successful rescue demonstrates enhanced operational alignment among Nigeria’s defense and intelligence branches. The freed hostages are currently undergoing medical evaluation and receiving psychosocial support at a federal military facility before being reunited with their families.

  • Thailand Fuel Prices Hit by Middle East Unrest and Shipping Disruptions

    BANGKOK, Thailand — Fuel prices in Thailand have surged for a second consecutive day, driven by escalating geopolitical conflicts in the Middle East and severe disruptions to global maritime shipping routes. The cumulative two-day increase has added 1.75 baht per litre to pump prices, prompting the Fuel Fund Executive Committee to implement urgent adjustments to […]

  • | |

    IRGC warns UK of retaliation as US maintains naval…

    TEHRAN: Tensions between Iran and the United States have escalated further after Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) warned that any country assisting Washington in military operations against Tehran could become a legitimate target, while the US confirmed its naval blockade on Iran remains fully operational. An IRGC spokesperson, speaking to Iranian state media, warned that countries providing logistical or military support to the United States—including the United Kingdom—would face retaliation. The official alleged that US B-1 bombers had recently used British bases during strikes on Iran, claiming any nation involved in such operations would be treated as a direct participant in the conflict. The warning came as reports emerged that US President Donald Trump has temporarily suspended plans for additional strikes on Iran after nearly two weeks of continuous military operations. According to US media, the decision was influenced by concerns over dwindling missile defence stockpiles, the risk of wider regional escalation and the desire to allow more room for diplomatic efforts. Despite the pause in airstrikes, the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) said its naval blockade against Iran remains in force. US forces reported intercepting several commercial vessels suspected of attempting to breach the blockade, redirecting multiple ships, disabling one vessel that ignored repeated warnings and carrying out verification inspections on others before allowing them to continue their voyages. US officials said contingency plans remain in place should military operations resume, underscoring that Washington is maintaining pressure on Tehran while keeping diplomatic options open. Meanwhile, Iran’s latest warning has added to growing concerns that the confrontation could draw more regional and international actors into the crisis.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *