pakistan hockey revival
|

Pakistan hockey revival needs patience, says PHF Selection Chief

Pakistan’s dream of restoring its former hockey glory will not become a reality overnight, according to Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) Selection Committee Chairman Samiullah Khan, who believes the revival process requires at least two to three years of consistent effort.

Speaking about the federation’s ongoing reforms, the legendary Olympian urged hockey fans and the media to remain patient and judge the progress through long-term development rather than immediate results.

Samiullah praised the current PHF administration, led by President Mohyuddin Ahmad Wani, for taking practical steps aimed at rebuilding the country’s national sport. He said the federation has restarted Under-18, Under-21 and senior national squads, creating fresh opportunities for talented young players to progress into the international arena.

He revealed that both the men’s and women’s national teams are receiving equal attention, including structured training camps, improved financial support and enhanced welfare facilities. The federation has also introduced modern sports science tools, including GPS-based performance tracking, to monitor players’ fitness and match readiness while benefiting from the expertise of international-standard coaches.

According to Samiullah, significant improvements have also been made in players’ accommodation, logistics and overall training environment, reflecting the federation’s commitment to building a professional system capable of competing at the highest level.

Despite the encouraging developments, the former hockey star stressed that Pakistan’s decline occurred over many years and cannot be reversed instantly.

“Hockey’s revival is a long-term process,” he said, adding that expecting quick victories would be unrealistic. Instead, he urged stakeholders to focus on the quality of the rebuilding process, expressing confidence that the federation is moving in the right direction.

Samiullah also appealed to supporters, former players and the media to stand behind the national teams and the PHF management. He said continued backing would help ensure that the investment being made at the grassroots level eventually translates into strong international performances and a return to Pakistan’s historic status as one of world hockey’s leading nations.

Similar Posts

  • | | |

    Sherry Rehman flags polling delays, security lapse…

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) Senator Sherry Rehman has voiced concern over delays in polling at several constituencies in Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK), saying the disruption has caused significant hardship for voters and raised serious questions about election management. In a statement issued on Sunday, Rehman said delayed arrival of election staff had affected the voting process at a number of polling stations, preventing many voters from casting their ballots on time. She identified constituencies LA-28, LA-31, LA-25 and LA-34 among the areas where polling was reportedly delayed, calling on the Election Commission to immediately investigate the matter and ensure that the electoral process proceeds without further disruption. The PPP leader also expressed concern over security arrangements at a women’s polling station in Shark Kamal Bandi in LA-31, claiming that only one police officer had been deployed despite the polling station having previously been declared sensitive. According to Rehman, inadequate security at such locations could undermine voter confidence and create unnecessary challenges for women participating in the electoral process. She further highlighted transportation problems affecting voters in the region. Rehman said the road connecting Rangla to Katkair had remained blocked since Saturday night, leaving more than 50 vehicles carrying voters stranded and preventing many people from reaching their designated polling stations. The senator said these issues had been formally reported to the Election Commission, urging the electoral body to conduct an immediate inquiry into the reported irregularities and take prompt corrective measures wherever necessary. “Every voter must be given the opportunity to exercise their democratic right without obstacles,” she said, emphasizing that transparent, impartial and well-managed elections are essential for strengthening democratic institutions. Rehman maintained that any compromise on the sanctity of the vote would be unacceptable and stressed the need for election authorities to ensure equal access to polling facilities for all eligible voters. Her remarks come amid ongoing polling across Azad Jammu and Kashmir, where election authorities have been working to address logistical and weather-related challenges in some areas. The Election Commission has yet to issue a detailed response to the specific concerns raised by the PPP senator, while voting continues in constituencies where polling arrangements remain unaffected.

  • |

    Zelenskyy warns Egypt of Black Sea food security threats as Russia rejects maritime ceasefire

    Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has cautioned Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi that ongoing Russian strikes on commercial shipping in the Black Sea pose a direct threat to regional food security and grain exports across Africa and the Middle East. Speaking via X, Zelenskyy noted that significant supply reductions are already driving up global grain prices and warned of severe consequences if attacks on cargo vessels persist. In response to proposals for a maritime truce, Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova rejected a third-party proposal from Kyiv to halt strikes on civilian shipping. Moscow dismissed the initiative as a “half-measure” that would merely grant Ukrainian forces operational breathing space, accusing Kyiv of attempting to destabilise Black Sea shipping routes. The diplomatic standoff coincides with several broader geopolitical developments across the region. Russian authorities acknowledged domestic petrol shortages after a Ukrainian strike forced the six-month closure of the Orsk oil refinery, located 1,300 km from the front line. Meanwhile, Polish officials warned that Russian cyber actors are exploiting historical grievances over World War II massacres to strain relations between Warsaw and Kyiv. Further escalating regional concerns, Romanian defence officials confirmed that a second unidentified drone crashed inside NATO territory near the border village of Plauru, whilst Russian President Vladimir Putin reaffirmed deep security cooperation with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un during commemorations marking the end of Japanese colonial rule.

  • |

    PCB unveils major domestic cricket overhaul ahead of ODI World Cup

    LAHORE: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has announced a significant revamp of its 2026–27 domestic cricket season, introducing structural changes aimed at strengthening competition and preparing players for the upcoming ICC Men’s ODI World Cup. The new domestic calendar places greater emphasis on high-quality white-ball cricket while also reshaping Pakistan’s premier first-class competition to improve competitiveness across all formats. According to the PCB, the season will begin on August 11 in Multan with the National Champions Cup, a four-team one-day tournament. Squads for the competition will be selected by the national selection committee, providing emerging players with an opportunity to impress in the 50-over format ahead of the global tournament. The board has also confirmed that the domestic season will feature two List A competitions. Following the National Champions Cup, teams will compete in the President’s Cup, giving players additional match practice and selectors a broader pool of performances to evaluate before international assignments. One of the biggest changes announced is the expansion of regional participation. The number of regional teams has increased from 18 to 20, with Sialkot and Peshawar each receiving permission to field a second team. PCB officials believe the move will create more opportunities for talented cricketers across the country and deepen the domestic talent pipeline. In another landmark decision, the prestigious Quaid-e-Azam Trophy has been divided into Gold and Silver Divisions for the first time in the tournament’s history. The Gold Division will feature the country’s eight strongest teams, while the Silver Division will include 12 teams competing for promotion and a chance to challenge the top sides. Both divisions are scheduled to begin on November 1, with the new format designed to increase the quality and intensity of first-class cricket. The domestic campaign will conclude with the National T20 Cup, scheduled for February and March, ensuring players receive competitive exposure in all three major formats before the international season intensifies. PCB officials said the revised structure reflects the board’s long-term strategy of producing better-prepared cricketers capable of succeeding at the highest level. By increasing meaningful competition, expanding opportunities for regional teams, and aligning domestic cricket with international priorities, the board hopes to strengthen Pakistan’s player development pathway. Cricket analysts have welcomed the changes, saying the new format could raise the standard of domestic cricket while helping selectors identify consistent performers ahead of major international tournaments, including the 2027 ODI World Cup.

  • | |

    Madaris back Army, reject Fazlur remarks

    The Muttahida Madaris Council Pakistan has publicly distanced itself from recent remarks made by Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-F (JUI-F) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman regarding the Pakistan Army and the country’s martyrs. In an official statement, the council said religious seminaries across Pakistan have always stood with the country’s armed forces and fully respect the sacrifices made by military personnel in defending the nation. It stressed that no seminary or religious educational institution supports any narrative that could be interpreted as being against the armed forces. The council reaffirmed its commitment to national unity and expressed solidarity with Pakistan’s security institutions. It also paid tribute to the country’s martyrs, saying their sacrifices for national security and peace deserve the highest respect. The controversy began after Fazlur Rehman addressed a public gathering in Kasur, where he spoke about the security situation in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan. During his speech, his comments about soldiers and martyrdom sparked widespread criticism from political leaders and members of the public. Several politicians described the remarks as inappropriate and called on the JUI-F chief to publicly clarify or withdraw his statement. They maintained that the sacrifices of soldiers should not become part of political debate and should always be treated with respect. Punjab Assembly Speaker Malik Muhammad Ahmad Khan strongly criticised the remarks and urged Fazlur Rehman to issue a public apology. He also proposed the formation of a Senate committee to examine the issue and determine whether the veteran politician should be formally called to explain his comments. The matter has also entered the legal arena. A sessions court has issued a notice to the National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) regarding the registration of a cybercrime case linked to the controversial remarks. The agency is expected to submit its response during the legal proceedings. Legal experts say the court will review the available evidence before deciding whether further action is warranted under the relevant laws. The controversy has continued to dominate political discussions, with leaders from different parties expressing contrasting views over the issue. While critics insist that the remarks were disrespectful to the sacrifices of the armed forces, supporters of Fazlur Rehman have defended his right to express political opinions.

  • |

    Pakistan wins historic double gold at Ju-Jitsu Worlds

    Pakistan achieved a historic milestone at the 2026 World Ju-Jitsu Championship by winning two gold medals and one bronze medal, marking one of the country’s finest performances in the international competition. The championship, being held at the Mubadala Arena in Abu Dhabi, has attracted more than 1,500 athletes from across the world. Competitors are taking part in Under-16, Under-18, Under-21, adult and Masters categories, with the event continuing until August 9. Pakistan’s biggest success came through former Asian champions Abu Huraira and Muhammad Ammar, who secured gold medals in both the Masters Duo and Duo Show events. Their victories created history as it was Pakistan’s first-ever participation in the Masters category at the World Ju-Jitsu Championship. The pair produced outstanding performances throughout the competition, demonstrating exceptional coordination, technical excellence and consistency to finish at the top of both events. Pakistan added another medal to its tally when young athletes Muhammad Yousaf and Muhammad Umar captured the bronze medal in the Under-21 Duo category. The duo impressed judges with their teamwork, precision and discipline during the competition. Yousaf and Umar are also scheduled to compete in the Under-21 Duo Show event, where they will look to add another medal for Pakistan before the championship concludes. Pakistan Ju-Jitsu Federation Chairman Khalil Ahmed Khan congratulated the athletes on their remarkable achievements and described the victories as a proud moment for the country. He said the success would inspire young athletes to pursue excellence in the sport. Secretary General Tariq Ali also praised the national team, saying the results reflected years of dedication, hard work and continuous improvement by Pakistan’s ju-jitsu athletes on the international stage. The federation congratulated Abu Huraira, Muhammad Ammar, Muhammad Yousaf and Muhammad Umar for their outstanding performances and expressed confidence that the national team would continue to achieve success in the remaining events of the championship.

  • | | | |

    Two Chinese oil tankers safely cross Bab el-Mandeb…

    RIYADH: Two Chinese supertankers carrying Saudi crude oil have safely passed through the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, despite growing security concerns following the Houthi movement’s recently announced naval blockade targeting Saudi-linked shipping. According to international media reports and shipping data, the vessels successfully navigated one of the world’s busiest maritime chokepoints, even as commercial shipping across the region faces mounting disruption due to escalating tensions in the Middle East. The two tankers departed earlier this week from Saudi Arabia’s Yanbu Port, transporting crude oil to China. Maritime tracking data indicated that both ships identified themselves as carrying Chinese crews, a detail analysts believe may have helped reduce the risk of interception while transiting the strategically important waterway. The successful voyage comes at a time when regional shipping routes are under increasing pressure. While the Bab el-Mandeb passage remained open for these vessels, traffic through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed significantly amid heightened geopolitical tensions and security threats. Industry monitoring organizations reported that only one oil tanker crossed the Strait of Hormuz on Thursday, marking the lowest daily traffic recorded since May 7. The sharp decline reflects growing concerns among shipping companies over the safety of vessels operating in the Gulf region. The latest developments follow the Houthis’ announcement of a naval blockade against Saudi shipping, raising fears of further disruptions to global energy supplies. The Red Sea and nearby waterways serve as vital corridors for international trade, with millions of barrels of crude oil passing through them every day. Maritime security experts say shipping companies are increasingly reassessing routes, insurance coverage, and operational risks as tensions continue to rise. Some firms have warned that insurance policies for vessels operating in high-risk conflict zones could become more expensive or even be withdrawn if security conditions deteriorate further. Although the two Chinese tankers completed their journey through Bab el-Mandeb without incident, analysts caution that the broader security situation remains highly volatile. Any escalation involving key maritime routes could have significant consequences for global oil markets, freight costs, and international supply chains. The safe passage of the vessels offers temporary reassurance for energy markets, but observers note that commercial shipping in the region remains vulnerable as geopolitical tensions persist. Governments, shipping operators, and energy traders are closely monitoring developments, with particular attention focused on the strategic waterways that connect the Gulf to global markets.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *