zidane takes charge
|

Zidane takes charge as France head coach

France have appointed former midfielder and Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane as their new head coach, beginning a new era for the national team. The French Football Federation confirmed the appointment on Tuesday.

The 54-year-old succeeds Didier Deschamps, who stepped down after 14 years in charge. Deschamps guided France to the 2018 World Cup title and the 2020-21 Nations League trophy. He also led the team to the Euro 2016 and 2022 World Cup finals.

Zidane now returns to the national setup more than two decades after helping France win the 1998 World Cup on home soil. He played a key role in that historic campaign and won the Ballon d’Or the same year.

The appointment brings together Zidane’s successful playing career and an impressive managerial record. As Real Madrid coach, he won three consecutive Champions League titles and established himself as one of Europe’s most successful managers.

Zidane’s first major challenge will be to build on France’s strong squad and prepare the team for the next international cycle. His appointment is expected to bring a fresh tactical approach while maintaining France’s status as one of the world’s leading football nations.

His tenure is set to run through the 2030 World Cup.

The new France boss is expected to begin his international campaign with a Nations League match away to Turkey. France will then host Italy at the Stade de France on October 2.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    26 personnel killed: AJK police blame JAAC

    Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Police have accused the proscribed Joint Awami Action Committee (JAAC) of deliberately targeting law enforcement agencies during recent unrest in the region. AJK Police spokesperson and Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Riaz Mughal made the allegations during a press conference on Wednesday. He said 26 police and other law enforcement personnel had been killed in incidents of unrest across AJK during 2026. He claimed that another 157 personnel had suffered serious injuries, while 629 others sustained minor injuries. Mughal did not provide details of each incident linked to the reported casualties. He questioned how the JAAC protests could be described as peaceful if law enforcement personnel were being killed and injured. The police spokesperson said state institutions did not target people without reason. He claimed that security personnel took action against individuals who attacked law enforcement agencies. His comments came after clashes between protesters and security personnel in Rawalakot and Mirpur earlier this week. The incidents reportedly resulted in several casualties. The JAAC has been protesting for several weeks over various public demands. One of its key demands is the abolition of 12 seats in the AJK Legislative Assembly reserved for refugees from Indian-administered Kashmir. Mughal alleged that protesters had attacked police and Rangers personnel during the unrest. He also claimed that some people had been held captive and that their identity documents had been taken. The SSP urged people to visit AJK and observe the situation independently. He said the nature of the protests and the activities of those participating should be assessed impartially. Mughal further alleged that some protesters were equipped with firearms and claimed that police and other law enforcement personnel had been targeted by snipers. During the briefing, police officials displayed weapons they said had been recovered during operations against protesters. Mughal claimed the weapons had been used against law enforcement personnel. He also referred to previous clashes involving the JAAC. According to Mughal, a confrontation on May 11, 2024, occurred when police attempted to stop protesters travelling towards Muzaffarabad. He said one police officer was killed and around 60 personnel suffered serious injuries. He added that 174 other policemen sustained minor injuries. The SSP also cited unrest in October 2025. He claimed that three police officers were killed, 52 personnel suffered serious injuries and another 357 were injured in the incidents. Mughal described the protesters involved in violent incidents as anti-state elements. He alleged that some were involved in activities that amounted to terrorism. He further claimed that around 70 per cent of the protesters were criminals, including alleged drug dealers who had joined the protests under the JAAC banner. The allegations were made by the police official and were not independently verified. The police spokesperson’s remarks came amid heightened tensions in AJK following several days of protests and clashes. The government has also alleged that militant elements linked to a foreign agenda and allegedly backed by Indian funding were attempting to fuel unrest in the region.

  • | | | |

    Iran’s supreme leader Mojtaba Khamenei names Bag…

    TEHRAN: Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei has reshuffled two key positions in the country’s security and political establishment, appointing Mohammad Bagher Zolghadr as his political adviser and former Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) commander Mohsen Rezaei as his representative on the Supreme National Security Council (SNSC). The appointments were announced through messages attributed to Khamenei on social media on Sunday, according to reports, placing two veteran figures with extensive military and political experience in prominent roles at a sensitive moment for Tehran. In his message to Zolghadr, Khamenei cited his “valuable experience” while appointing him as a political adviser. Zolghadr has held several senior positions in Iran’s security establishment and previously served as secretary of the SNSC. The move follows Zolghadr’s departure from the council’s top administrative position. Reports said Rezaei has been appointed to replace him as secretary of the powerful security body, while also serving as Khamenei’s representative on the council. Rezaei is a veteran figure in Iran’s political and military establishment. He served as commander of the IRGC for much of the Iran-Iraq war era and has held a range of senior political positions. He has also previously run for Iran’s presidency. The latest appointments are drawing attention because the SNSC plays a central role in coordinating Iran’s defence, security and foreign-policy decisions. Although the council is formally chaired by President Masoud Pezeshkian, its work brings together senior political, military and security institutions. The timing of the reshuffle is particularly significant as Iran faces continuing pressure over regional security and negotiations surrounding the Strait of Hormuz. Recent diplomatic efforts have focused on arrangements for shipping through the strategically important waterway, making changes within Tehran’s security leadership especially closely watched. Both Zolghadr and Rezaei are associated with Iran’s security establishment and have extensive experience in military affairs. Analysts are therefore likely to watch closely for any indication that the appointments could affect Tehran’s approach to negotiations, regional security or relations with the United States. The reshuffle also strengthens the role of figures with longstanding links to the IRGC within the leadership structure. Rezaei had already served as a military adviser to Mojtaba Khamenei before taking on the latest assignment. For Zolghadr, the new position keeps him within the senior leadership circle despite his exit from the SNSC secretaryship. His experience in security and political affairs could allow him to continue playing a role in shaping policy from the Supreme Leader’s office. The appointments come at a critical time for Iran, with international attention focused on Tehran’s security posture and the future of the Strait of Hormuz. Whether the changes represent a broader adjustment in Iran’s negotiating strategy remains to be seen, but the elevation of two experienced security figures is likely to keep Tehran’s next moves under close scrutiny.

  • |

    Maira Khan’s bold social media transformation sparks debate

    Maira Khan is a familiar name in the Pakistani television industry, having appeared in several popular dramas throughout her acting career. She has been part of projects such as Riwaaj, Kisey Awaaz Doon, Cousins, Jalan, Cheekh, and Bewafa, among others. Her performances helped her establish a presence in the entertainment industry, while her appearance on ARY Digital’s reality show Tamasha recently brought her renewed attention from viewers. Apart from television, Maira Khan has also worked in the feature film Durj, a project that received critical appreciation. Over the years, she has remained a subject of public interest, particularly because of her changing appearance, fashion choices, and occasional discussions surrounding cosmetic procedures and her evolving personal style. In recent years, however, Maira has largely stepped away from the Pakistani drama scene. Instead of appearing regularly on television, she is now frequently seen travelling with friends and sharing glimpses of her lifestyle on social media. Her Instagram presence has also become more noticeable, with the former actress posting photographs and reels showcasing her fashion choices and travels. Her recent posts have attracted particular attention because of her preference for Western-style outfits and a more confident approach to fashion. Some of her latest pictures feature outfits that are considerably bolder than the image audiences may remember from her television career. Her transformation has sparked a wide range of reactions across social media, with some people praising her confidence while others have criticised her new appearance. Several social media users have speculated about the reason behind her change in lifestyle and fashion. Some suggested that her reduced presence in Pakistani television dramas may have influenced her decision to pursue a different lifestyle, while others argued that her clothing choices are simply a matter of personal preference. The discussion also took an unexpected turn, with some users questioning her religious identity and making assumptions about her beliefs based on her appearance. Such comments generated further debate, as many people pointed out that a person’s faith cannot be determined simply by their clothing or social media posts. Some critics expressed disappointment over what they described as a shift from her earlier, more modest public image. One commenter said that Pakistani actresses appear to be becoming increasingly bold and prayed for them to receive guidance. Another user wrote that Maira had appeared much more decent in the past. Others shared reminders about morality and the temporary nature of worldly life. At the same time, her supporters believe that Maira has the right to make her own choices regarding fashion, lifestyle, and social media presence. The contrasting reactions demonstrate how strongly Pakistani celebrities continue to be scrutinised for their personal choices, particularly when they adopt a style that differs from their earlier public image.

  • |

    Nicole Kidman makes career move while dating rumours continue

    Nicole Kidman is celebrating another major achievement in her career while continuing to fuel speculation about her personal life. The Oscar-winning actress, who is currently promoting her upcoming film Practical Magic 2 alongside longtime friend and co-star Sandra Bullock, recently shared exciting news with fans on social media. Just one day after attending the star-studded premiere of the highly anticipated sequel in Los Angeles, Kidman reposted an announcement from luxury Japanese skincare brand Clé de Peau Beauté, revealing that she has been named the company’s new global brand ambassador. The campaign highlighted Kidman’s evolution beyond acting, recognizing her growing influence as a producer and storyteller. The announcement praised the actress for using her passion for storytelling to expand her creative career, noting that she now helps shape projects from behind the scenes as well as in front of the camera. Accompanying the message were elegant photographs of Kidman dressed in a tailored grey three-piece suit, projecting confidence and sophistication. The campaign also emphasized themes of creativity, collaboration and personal radiance, reflecting the values of the beauty brand while celebrating Kidman’s decades-long contribution to the entertainment industry. The latest professional milestone comes as the actress continues to make headlines over persistent rumors surrounding her relationship with businessman Michael Reinstein. Speculation about the pair intensified after they were reportedly seen together following Kidman’s arrival at Burbank Airport. The two appeared relaxed and cheerful as they left the airport together, sparking fresh discussion about the nature of their relationship. Interest in the rumored romance first gained momentum after photos from an Italian vacation circulated online last month. The images showed Kidman and Reinstein spending time together in the picturesque coastal town of Portofino, where they were seen chatting poolside in a relaxed setting. The photos quickly spread across social media, prompting fans to wonder whether the actress had found a new partner. Since then, public interest in the pair has continued to grow, with every appearance adding fuel to ongoing speculation. Despite the widespread attention, neither Kidman nor Reinstein has publicly addressed the dating rumors. Both have remained silent about their reported outings, leaving fans to speculate while waiting for an official statement. Kidman has long kept much of her personal life out of the spotlight, preferring to let her work speak for itself. Even as rumors circulate, the actress remains focused on promoting Practical Magic 2 and celebrating new professional accomplishments. With a celebrated acting career, an expanding role as a producer and a prestigious new partnership with Clé de Peau Beauté, Kidman continues to demonstrate her enduring influence in Hollywood. Whether discussing her latest projects or her personal life, the award-winning star remains one of the entertainment industry’s most closely watched figures. While questions about her relationship status remain unanswered, one thing is clear: Nicole Kidman is enjoying another successful chapter in her career, balancing exciting new opportunities with the continued admiration of fans around the world.

  • |

    Modi vows tough punishment as exam leak protests intensify

    Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has promised strict action against those involved in examination paper leak scandals, making his first public comments since nationwide student protests erupted over alleged irregularities in the country’s examination system. In a statement shared on social media, Modi said the future and welfare of India’s youth were of the highest importance. He assured students that the government would take firm action against those responsible for examination fraud and announced plans to establish fast-track courts to ensure speedy trials in paper leak cases. The prime minister said no one would be allowed to jeopardise the future of young people for personal gain. He pledged that all those found guilty of manipulating examinations or leaking question papers would face strict legal consequences. His statement came after thousands of students and young people gathered in New Delhi to protest against repeated examination paper leaks and demand greater transparency in the education system. Demonstrators have also been calling for the resignation of the country’s education minister, accusing the government of failing to prevent repeated examination scandals. The protests have been organised by the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), a movement that emerged through social media and has rapidly gained support among students and young voters across India. Initially launched as a satirical online campaign, the movement has expanded into a nationwide platform highlighting concerns over examination fraud, unemployment, and opportunities for young people. Tensions escalated earlier this week when large crowds attempted to march towards Parliament during the opening of the monsoon session. Police stopped the protesters by using tear gas and baton charges to disperse the crowds. Clashes later broke out after some demonstrators threw stones at security personnel, resulting in injuries on both sides. According to official figures, at least 178 people, including police officers and security personnel, were injured during the violence. Several protesters also sustained injuries as confrontations continued in different parts of the capital. The latest demonstrations are among the largest youth-led protests seen in New Delhi in recent years. The movement has drawn widespread public attention and increased pressure on the government to restore confidence in India’s examination system. Public anger has grown following a series of examination controversies across the country. One of the biggest scandals involved the leak of a national medical entrance examination paper, forcing more than two million candidates to retake the test. Another controversy related to the online evaluation of high school examinations involving nearly two million students has further raised concerns about fairness and transparency. Students argue that repeated paper leaks are destroying merit and reducing confidence in the education system. Many believe honest candidates are being unfairly affected by corruption and poor oversight in the examination process.

  • |

    Overcrowded ferry capsizes on Lake Kariba in Zimbabwe, leaving at least 44 dead

    At least 44 people have died after an severely overcrowded passenger ferry capsized on Lake Kariba in Zimbabwe, according to updated statements from national police authorities. The vessel, which had a maximum rated capacity of 90 individuals, was carrying at least 114 adult passengers, five crew members, and an unrecorded number of children under ticketing age when it encountered severe waves. A surviving crew member reported that up to 153 passengers may have been aboard when the boat began taking on water roughly 30 minutes after departing the port town of Kariba. Zimbabwe’s Civil Protection Unit deployed a specialized aquatic rescue team and helicopters to locate dozens of individuals who remain unaccounted for. While initial emergency reports placed the confirmed death toll at 15, police retrieved additional bodies from the water throughout Wednesday afternoon, raising the official fatality count significantly. Lake Kariba, the world’s largest man-made lake by volume, serves as a crucial transit route for rural communities traveling between mainland settlements, fishing camps, and islands. Local officials and disaster management agencies have recommended that the incident be formally declared a national disaster as search and recovery operations continue.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *