400 cyberattacks pakistan

400+ cyberattacks on Pakistan foiled this year, DG cyber team

Islamabad: Director General of Pakistan’s National Cyber Emergency Response Team, Dr. Haider Abbas has revealed that more than 400 cyberattacks were launched against Pakistan this year. However, he said that all of the attacks were successfully thwarted in time.

Dr. Abbas emphasized the need for a strong National Cyber Security Authority suggesting that it should operate under the direct supervision of the Prime Minister.

In an interview, he discussed Pakistan’s growing cybersecurity challenges and the increasing threat of state-sponsored cyberattacks. He proposed the establishment of a powerful National Cyber Security Authority headed by the Prime Minister to strengthen the country’s cyber defense.

He added that such an authority should be responsible for managing cybersecurity across the country and would be able to operate more effectively under the Prime Minister’s leadership.

Similar Posts

  • | | |

    AJK polling underway at 23 atations in Bagh

    BAGH: Voting is underway at 23 polling stations across two constituencies in Azad Jammu and Kashmir’s (AJK) Bagh district, in a closely watched exercise following disputes and allegations of irregularities during the region’s phased elections. Polling began at 8am on Saturday and is scheduled to continue until 5pm, with authorities deploying additional security personnel to ensure voters can cast their ballots without fear or disruption. The polling is being held in LA-15 (Bagh Central) and LA-16 (Eastern Bagh), where voting could not take place at several stations during the third phase of the elections earlier this week. The AJK Election Commission subsequently withheld the results of both constituencies and ordered polling at the remaining stations. In LA-15, PPP candidate Sardar Ziaul Qamar had secured 16,637 votes in the stations where polling was held, followed by PML-N’s Mushtaq Ahmed Minhas with 15,015 votes. Jamaat-i-Islami candidate retired Brig Dr Muhammad Khan stood third with 12,259 votes. Meanwhile, the withheld result in LA-16 involves 14 polling stations with 7,238 registered voters. Results from the remaining stations had placed PML-N’s Sardar Mir Akbar in front with 19,515 votes, giving him a lead of 3,225 votes over PPP’s Sardar Qamaruz Zaman. The contest has remained tense, with candidates from all five parties accusing their rivals of large-scale rigging. Election authorities, however, have stressed that adequate security has been arranged. AJK Chief Election Commissioner retired Justice Ghulam Mustafa Mughal said sufficient police and law-enforcement personnel had been deployed at polling stations to provide voters with a “fear-free environment”. The latest polling is part of an election process conducted in phases amid unrest and law-and-order concerns across the region. The third phase was initially planned for all 11 constituencies of Poonch Division but was limited to Bagh and Haveli districts after security concerns emerged. The Election Commission has already announced the result for LA-14 (Bagh-I), where Jammu Kashmir Awami Dast-o-Bazu Party candidate Sajid Iqbal Abbasi won by a substantial margin. The election in neighbouring LA-17 (Haveli), however, has become the subject of a separate dispute after AJK Prime Minister Faisal Mumtaz Rathore was declared the winner. His PML-N rival, Engineer Mohsin Aziz, challenged the result, prompting the Election Commission to hear arguments from both sides. With voting now underway at the remaining 23 stations, attention is focused on turnout, security and whether the fresh polling will finally settle the disputed contests in Bagh.

  • | | | |

    Maryam hails Katcha’s historic security turnarou…

    Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz has said that the Katcha region has become a safer area after decades of insecurity. She made the remarks while addressing an Independence Day ceremony at the Safe City Authority. She said the government was taking steps to improve security and protect citizens across the province. Maryam said Safe City cameras have now been installed in 43 cities of Punjab. She said the expanded surveillance system would help improve monitoring and strengthen the security network. The chief minister said the government wants to provide a safer and better Pakistan to future generations. She stressed that public safety remains an important part of the government’s development agenda. Maryam rejected the impression that government attention was limited to Lahore. She said development cannot be considered meaningful if people living in other cities and regions are ignored. She said every citizen has the right to benefit from better public services and improved security. The government, she added, is working to ensure that development reaches different parts of the province. Referring specifically to the Katcha region, Maryam said the area had witnessed insecurity for decades. She claimed that the situation had now changed and the region had become a safer place for the people. She said modern security technology was playing an important role in improving law and order. The expansion of Safe City surveillance, she added, would help authorities monitor sensitive areas and respond more effectively to security concerns. The chief minister said the government would continue strengthening security infrastructure across Punjab. She also reiterated her commitment to creating safer cities and improving the quality of life for citizens.

  • | |

    Karachi receives light rain as PMD forecasts more …

      Parts of Karachi experienced light rain and drizzle on Saturday afternoon, bringing a welcome drop in temperatures and creating pleasant weather across the city. The Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD) has predicted that this spell of wet weather will continue over the next two days, with additional rain and thunderstorms expected in different parts of the metropolis. Light showers and drizzle were recorded in several neighborhoods, including Surjani Town, Gulshan-e-Maymar, and various suburban areas. Residents enjoyed cooler conditions after the rainfall, while cloudy skies covered much of the city. According to the PMD, Karachi is expected to remain mostly cloudy, with chances of light to moderate rainfall accompanied by thunderstorms during the coming 48 hours. Earlier forecasts had also warned of windstorms and thunderstorm activity, particularly during the afternoon and evening. Meteorological officials explained that the weather pattern is being influenced by a low-pressure system that had previously developed into a depression but has now weakened into a low-pressure area. The system is currently located over southeastern Rajasthan in India. Although it has weakened, it continues to draw moisture-laden monsoon winds from both the Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal, resulting in widespread rainfall across different regions. At the same time, a separate westerly weather system is affecting northern parts of the country, further contributing to unstable weather conditions. The PMD warned that these combined weather systems are likely to trigger thunderstorms, gusty winds, and rainfall in several districts of Sindh. Authorities also cautioned that heavy downpours in some areas could lead to urban flooding, especially in low-lying localities where drainage systems may become overwhelmed. The department stated that rain accompanied by strong winds, thunderstorms, and windstorms was expected over the next three to six hours in several districts, including Tharparkar, Mithi, Umerkot, Mirpurkhas, Badin, Thatta, Sanghar, Tando Muhammad Khan, Tando Allahyar, Hyderabad, Matiari, Jamshoro, Shaheed Benazirabad, Ghotki, Khairpur, Jacobabad, Dadu, Larkana, Sukkur, and nearby areas. Residents in these regions have been advised to remain cautious and stay updated with official weather advisories. In response to the forecast, the Sindh government has placed all relevant departments on high alert to ensure preparedness for any weather-related emergencies. Adviser to the Chief Minister on Rehabilitation, Gyan Chand Essrani, directed the Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA), Rescue 1122 teams, and mobile health units to maintain round-the-clock vigilance. He instructed all emergency response agencies to continuously monitor the situation and respond promptly to any incidents caused by heavy rainfall or flooding. To strengthen emergency preparedness, PDMA Sindh has deployed 50 specially equipped response vehicles fitted with dewatering pumps across the province. These vehicles are intended to quickly remove accumulated rainwater from flooded roads and residential areas. Of the total fleet, 10 vehicles have been stationed in Karachi, while 25 have been allocated to Hyderabad and Mirpurkhas divisions. The remaining 15 vehicles have been deployed in Sukkur and Larkana divisions to support emergency operations. Authorities have urged citizens to exercise caution during heavy rain, avoid unnecessary travel, and cooperate with emergency services to ensure public safety throughout the ongoing monsoon spell.

  • | |

    Naqvi backs independent ministry performance revie…

    Federal Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi has said he will recommend that Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif order an independent performance review of all federal cabinet ministers to evaluate the effectiveness of their ministries. Speaking on the country’s governance and accountability, Naqvi said every ministry should undergo a third-party assessment so that its performance can be measured through an impartial process. He added that the findings of the evaluation should be made public to ensure transparency and strengthen public confidence in government institutions. The interior minister expressed confidence in the stability of the current political setup, saying the government would complete its full five-year constitutional term. He dismissed speculation about any change in the existing system and said the democratic process would continue without interruption. Naqvi stressed that regular performance evaluations would help improve governance, identify weaknesses and encourage ministries to deliver better public services. He said objective assessments by independent experts would contribute to greater efficiency and accountability across the federal government. Responding to criticism directed at him, the interior minister thanked those who had remarked that he achieved in three years what normally takes three decades. He described such comments as recognition of his work and said he appreciated both criticism and acknowledgment of his performance.

  • | |

    Infrastructure development projects announced acro…

    ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Communications Abdul Aleem Khan has highlighted a series of ongoing and planned infrastructure projects aimed at improving connectivity, boosting trade and promoting tourism across Gilgit-Baltistan, Azad Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Sindh and Balochistan. Speaking at a ceremony held to honour police martyrs, the minister said the proposed extension of the Murree Expressway to Muzaffarabad will provide modern travel facilities, while the MNJC Motorway will offer an alternative route to the Karakoram Highway, strengthening Pakistan’s strategic road link with China. He said the Sialkot-Kharian-Rawalpindi Highway will reduce the distance between Islamabad and Lahore by around 100 kilometres and cut travel time by more than an hour. In Karachi, he noted that the M-10 and Lyari Expressway are improving cargo movement from the city’s port, while construction on the M-6 Motorway is expected to begin soon. Aleem Khan added that work is progressing on the Guru Nanak Expressway, which will connect Kartarpur with Nankana Sahib to promote religious tourism and facilitate Sikh pilgrims from around the world. He also said infrastructure development is advancing on tourist routes in Gilgit, the N-25 Highway is expected to be completed next year, and the M-8 Motorway projects in Balochistan will strengthen regional connectivity and cross-border trade with Iran. Paying tribute to police martyrs, the minister described their sacrifices as a lasting symbol of courage and praised the Motorway Police for their professionalism. He announced plans to establish modern police stations, dedicated parking areas and emergency ambulance services near toll plazas to improve the safety of patrolling officers. Aleem Khan also highlighted the National Highway Authority’s financial progress, saying its revenue has increased from Rs66 billion in 2024 to more than Rs127 billion in 2026. He said the improved financial position has enabled Pakistan to expand its motorway and highway network using domestic resources without relying on external funding. Inspector General of Motorway Police Sultan Ahmad Chaudhry also paid tribute to the fallen officers, reaffirming the department’s commitment to supporting the families of martyrs and honouring their sacrifices.

  • | | |

    Militant facilitator Mufti Zafaryab arrested

    Authorities have arrested self-styled cleric Mufti Zafaryab for allegedly facilitating the banned militant group referred to by the Pakistani government as Fitna al-Khawarij. According to an official statement, the suspect said he completed an eight-year Dars-e-Nizami course at Jamia Nizam-ul-Uloom, Yateem Khana, Bannu, and later completed a three-year specialization in Islamic jurisprudence (Takhassus fi al-Fiqh) at Al-Markaz Al-Islami, Ghoriwala. In a recorded statement, Zafaryab admitted that he had been in contact with militant commander Hikmat Roshan. He said state institutions were aware of his links, which ultimately led to his arrest. The suspect alleged that the militant commander sought religious rulings from him to justify extortion carried out in the name of jihad. He further claimed that he, along with several others, had been offered positions and financial incentives by the group. Expressing remorse, Zafaryab said he regretted his actions and stated that the group has no connection with Islam. He described its activities and ideology as un-Islamic and contrary to Sharia. He also said the militant group promotes extremist beliefs and considers the killing of Muslims to be permissible, rejecting its ideology and distancing himself from its actions. The arrest comes as security forces continue counterterrorism operations against militant groups across the country.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *