germany pledges justice
|

Germany pledges justice as Berlin attack shocks nation

BERLIN, July 26: German authorities have launched a major investigation after a vehicle drove into a crowd near a Pride event in Berlin, killing one person and injuring 16 others.

The incident took place late Saturday night in the Tiergarten area, close to Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate. The location was near the route of Christopher Street Day, one of Europe’s largest annual LGBTQ Pride celebrations.

Emergency services said eight people were seriously injured. Three of them were in critical condition.

Police have identified a man they describe as being known to authorities and linked to the Islamist scene. They released his photograph and appealed to the public for information about his whereabouts.

Authorities said the suspect was believed to be around 1.90 metres tall, slim and had black hair. He was reportedly last seen wearing a black hooded top and white trousers.

Police have not yet established whether the suspect acted alone. Investigators are also examining reports that more than one person may have left the vehicle after it stopped.

Some of those injured reportedly suffered stab wounds, adding another element to the investigation.

The vehicle eventually came to a stop after striking a tree in the Tiergarten. Police later found it empty and began searching for the person or people believed to have been involved.

The remaining Christopher Street Day activities were cancelled following the attack.

German Interior Minister Alexander Dobrindt condemned the incident as a cowardly attack on people who had been peacefully celebrating. He said authorities would work to establish what happened and identify those responsible.

Officials have not yet provided a clear motive for the attack. Several details also remain under investigation, including the exact sequence of events and whether more than one person was involved.

The incident has also placed additional pressure on Chancellor Friedrich Merz’s coalition government. The attack comes ahead of important state elections and amid a heated political debate over immigration, public security and extremism.

Germany’s far-right Alternative for Germany party quickly reacted to the incident. Its leaders called for stronger action against religious extremism and warned against violence and intolerance.

Authorities are continuing their search for the suspect. Police have urged anyone with relevant information to contact them as the investigation continues.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Two more air India pilots fail initial drug tests

      Two more Air India pilots have failed preliminary drug screening following the incident involving an Air India flight from Phuket to Delhi. The airline has temporarily removed both pilots from flying duties while authorities await the results of their final tests. According to Indian media reports, Air India decided to conduct drug screening for all its pilots after the incident. More than 300 pilots have undergone testing so far, with final results generally taking between 24 and 48 hours. The captain of the Phuket-to-Delhi flight also failed two drug-related tests conducted after the aircraft landed. Subsequent testing reportedly detected cannabis in the pilot’s system. Indian media have also reported that a flight attendant complained that the captain had allegedly used cannabis before the flight. The development has raised further questions about safety procedures and pilot fitness at Air India. The airline is now reviewing the results of the wider testing campaign as it seeks to determine whether any other crew members may have violated aviation safety regulations. The Phuket-Delhi flight involved an Airbus A320neo that reportedly experienced a sudden loss of altitude during the journey. The aircraft dropped by around 300 feet before recovering, prompting concerns among passengers and crew. Officials initially described the incident as turbulence. However, detailed information from the aircraft’s systems later prompted closer scrutiny of what happened during the flight and raised questions about possible technical issues as well as the captain’s conduct. Air India has yet to receive the final laboratory results for the two newly identified pilots. Until those results arrive, the airline has kept both pilots off flight operations as a precautionary measure.

  • | | |

    PCB introduces comprehensive fitness policy for do…

      The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has introduced a comprehensive domestic cricket fitness policy for the 2026-27 season, making physical fitness a key requirement for players representing regional, departmental, district, and zonal teams across the country. The newly announced policy has been designed to improve players’ overall fitness standards and ensure they are better prepared for the physical demands of modern cricket. Covering athletes from junior age-group competitions to first-class domestic cricket, the framework aims to establish a consistent and measurable fitness system throughout Pakistan’s domestic structure. The fitness programme has been developed by PCB Director of Sports and Exercise Medicine Javed Mughal. It follows a structured two-tier model that has been designed to align with international cricket standards while remaining practical, reliable, and easy to implement across different levels of the domestic game. The testing procedures have been created to produce consistent and repeatable results, allowing coaches and trainers to accurately monitor players’ physical progress. Under the new system, Tier 1 will apply to players representing the country’s 20 regional teams, eight departmental first-class sides, and more than 25 Grade-II departmental teams. These players will be required to complete 11 separate fitness tests, providing a total of 17 scoring opportunities during the assessment process. Tier 2 has been introduced for players competing in senior district cricket, U19 district teams, and regional U17 and U15 squads. Participants in this category will undergo eight different fitness tests, offering a maximum of 12 scoring opportunities. The PCB has also established a clear scoring system to determine whether a player passes or fails the assessment. In Tier 1, players may receive up to seven red scores and still meet the required fitness standard. However, recording eight or more red scores will result in a failed assessment. Those who fail will be allowed one opportunity to retake the test. Similarly, Tier 2 players will fail the assessment if they receive six or more red scores. The board hopes that the grading system will encourage players to maintain high fitness standards while also identifying areas requiring improvement. Fitness monitoring will not end after the initial assessment. Players who successfully complete the testing process will undergo another round of fitness evaluations approximately six months later. The purpose of the follow-up assessment is to measure each player’s progress and ensure that fitness levels continue to improve throughout the season. According to the PCB, every player is expected to demonstrate measurable improvement compared to their initial baseline results. The board believes continuous assessment will promote long-term physical development rather than one-time preparation for testing. The policy also outlines the procedure for players who do not meet the required benchmarks. Instead of repeating only the failed components, any player who fails the assessment will be required to complete the entire fitness testing programme again. This approach is intended to ensure overall physical readiness rather than focusing on individual weaknesses. The responsibility for conducting the assessments will rest with PCB-approved strength and conditioning coaches. These coaches will supervise fitness testing at every level of domestic cricket and submit the results to the National Cricket Academy along with the PCB’s Medical and Sports Science Department for evaluation and record-keeping. With this initiative, the PCB aims to strengthen the fitness culture within domestic cricket, enhance player performance, and create a stronger pathway for athletes aspiring to represent Pakistan at the international level.

  • | | | |

    Dar condemns Houthi attack killing 3 Pakistanis

    ISLAMABAD: Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar has condemned a Houthi attack on a commercial vessel in the Red Sea, saying three Pakistani nationals were killed and another was injured in the incident. Dar described the attack as a serious threat to innocent lives and maritime security. He expressed concern over the loss of Pakistani lives in the incident. The foreign minister said the Pakistani government was in contact with relevant Saudi authorities and the Yemeni government to obtain further details about the attack. He also directed Pakistan’s embassy in Riyadh to provide all possible assistance for the repatriation of the bodies of the deceased Pakistanis. The embassy has also been instructed to facilitate the injured Pakistani citizen and ensure that all necessary assistance is provided. The attack reportedly took place near the Bab al-Mandab Strait, a strategically important maritime passage connecting the Red Sea with the Gulf of Aden. According to Yemeni government and coast guard sources, Houthi forces attacked a cargo vessel in the area. The attack targeted the deck of the commercial ship. Three crew members were reportedly killed in the assault. The incident has raised fresh concerns over the safety of commercial shipping in the Red Sea. The waterway is a major international trade route used by cargo vessels travelling between Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Pakistan is continuing to coordinate with authorities in Saudi Arabia and Yemen to establish further details about the incident and assist the affected Pakistani nationals and their families.

  • | | | | | |

    Trump orders one-day pause in Iran strikes as talks continue

    US President Donald Trump has reportedly ordered a one-day halt to military strikes against Iran, temporarily interrupting a nearly two-week-long series of attacks, according to reports from US media outlets. The pause comes as uncertainty remains over whether the decision represents a temporary break in operations or the beginning of a broader ceasefire process. Reports suggest that the US military had been preparing for possible further strikes against Iran, but Trump has not yet approved any new major offensive. According to US media reports, military plans for continued operations were presented to the president, but Trump instructed officials not to proceed with attacks on that day. The decision marked a significant shift after a period of repeated strikes targeting Iranian positions. Trump later told reporters that the United States still had the option to continue military action and increase the intensity of attacks if necessary. However, he indicated that pursuing a diplomatic solution could be a more effective strategy. “The smart strategy is to make a deal,” Trump was reported as saying, adding that Iran appeared to be becoming more serious about discussions while the US remained prepared for possible military action. The reported pause came as an Omani delegation arrived in Iran for discussions aimed at addressing regional tensions and negotiating a possible agreement related to the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz. Officials suggested that a deal between Iran and Oman could potentially be reached during the weekend, after which the final decision would depend on Washington. Meanwhile, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) claimed that Iranian forces had destroyed several US military aircraft and drones during attacks on American bases. The group claimed that 17 drones, an F-15 fighter jet, a P-8 aircraft, a C-17 transport aircraft, and eight refueling planes were destroyed. The claims from both sides have not been independently verified, and officials have continued to provide competing accounts of the military developments. The situation remains highly sensitive as regional tensions continue, with diplomatic efforts taking place alongside military preparations. The coming days are expected to determine whether the temporary pause leads to broader negotiations or whether hostilities resume.

  • | |

    Ryan Reynolds opens up after fooling fans with sur…

    Ryan Reynolds has once again proven that his playful sense of humor extends far beyond the screen. The Deadpool star recently delighted fans by secretly attending San Diego Comic-Con dressed in his iconic red-and-black Deadpool costume, allowing him to blend into the crowd without anyone realizing the superhero walking among them was the actor himself. The prank quickly became one of the convention’s most talked-about moments. (people.com⁠) After the event, Reynolds shared behind-the-scenes footage of the stunt on social media, giving fans a closer look at how he managed to pull off the surprise. The video showed the actor walking through packed convention halls, posing for photos with attendees and interacting with fellow Deadpool cosplayers, all while remaining completely anonymous behind the famous mask. Reynolds admitted that it was a unique experience to witness fans celebrating the Marvel character from such a different perspective. Instead of appearing as a celebrity, he was able to enjoy Comic-Con as an ordinary attendee, observing the excitement and enthusiasm surrounding Deadpool without attracting attention himself. (people.com⁠) The actor later reflected on the experience, explaining that blending into the crowd reminded him why Comic-Con remains such a special event for movie lovers. He praised the creativity of fans, many of whom spent months designing elaborate costumes inspired by superheroes, villains and pop culture icons. Reynolds also expressed his appreciation for the passionate community that has supported Deadpool since the character first appeared on the big screen in 2016. The prank came just over a year after the blockbuster success of Deadpool & Wolverine, which reunited Reynolds with longtime friend Hugh Jackman and became one of the highest-grossing films of 2024. The movie earned praise for its humor, action and emotional moments while further cementing Deadpool’s place within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. (variety.com⁠) Fans flooded Reynolds’ social media accounts with reactions after he posted the footage, with many admitting they had unknowingly stood next to the actor during the convention. Others joked that they missed the opportunity of a lifetime by failing to recognize the real Deadpool beneath the mask. Known for his quick wit and clever online presence, Reynolds has built a reputation for surprising fans in unexpected ways. Whether promoting a new film or pulling off a lighthearted prank, the actor consistently finds creative ways to connect with audiences. For Reynolds, the Comic-Con stunt was more than just a joke—it was a chance to experience fandom from the other side. By slipping into Deadpool’s suit and disappearing into the crowd, he was reminded of the joy that passionate fans bring to pop culture. Judging by the enthusiastic response, his secret appearance became one of Comic-Con’s most memorable moments, proving that sometimes the best superhero disguises really do work.

  • | |

    Customs seize $55,000 from Dubai-bound family

    KARACHI: Customs authorities have recovered a large amount of foreign currency from six passengers travelling from Karachi to Dubai. According to officials, the passengers belonged to the same family. Authorities recovered $55,000 in US currency and Rs950,000 in Pakistani cash from them. Officials said the passengers were carrying foreign currency above the limit permitted by the State Bank of Pakistan. The currency had also not been properly declared before their travel. The authorities took action under the Customs Act 1969 after the undeclared currency was discovered. Customs officials said the case involved six members of one family. The recovery was made during checks at the airport before the passengers could leave the country. Officials said the passengers had exceeded the permissible limit for carrying foreign currency abroad. They also failed to meet the required declaration procedures. Customs authorities stressed that travellers must comply with regulations governing the movement of foreign currency. Passengers carrying amounts above the permitted limits are required to follow the applicable declaration procedures. The incident has once again highlighted the importance of checks at international airports. Customs officials regularly monitor passengers and baggage to detect undeclared currency and other restricted items. Authorities said preventing currency smuggling remains a priority. They are maintaining strict checks to identify attempts to move large amounts of undeclared foreign currency out of Pakistan. Customs officials said they are following a zero-tolerance policy against currency smuggling. They added that action would be taken against anyone found violating the relevant laws. The recovered amount included both US dollars and Pakistani rupees. The officials did not provide further details about the intended use of the money or the identities of the passengers. The case also highlights the need for travellers to understand currency rules before leaving Pakistan. Failure to declare currency or carrying amounts beyond the permitted limits can lead to legal action under the applicable laws. Authorities are continuing proceedings in the case under the Customs Act 1969. The recovery is among the latest incidents showing the role of airport customs checks in preventing the illegal movement of currency. Officials said such measures are necessary to protect Pakistan’s financial system and enforce foreign exchange regulations. Customs authorities reiterated that passengers travelling abroad must comply with all currency declaration requirements. They said strict action would continue against attempts to move undeclared currency across Pakistan’s international borders.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *