house approves 115
|

US House approves $1.15 trillion defense budget package

The US House of Representatives has passed a $1.15 trillion defense budget bill by a narrow vote of 216 to 212. Supported by a majority of Republicans and six Democrats, the legislation includes provisions to deepen defense ties and military technology integration with Israel.

The bill faced internal pushback, with Congressman Thomas Massie raising concerns over integrating US military technology and supply chains with Israel.

The passage follows a major funding request from the Trump administration, which asked Congress for nearly $87 billion in supplemental appropriations to support ongoing operations against Iran.

Appropriations Committee, US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth stated that military action against Iran has cost $37.5 billion so far, including projected costs through September 30. Hegseth urged lawmakers to maintain robust military spending, arguing that failing to provide the full defense budget represents the single greatest threat to national security.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    NCCIA crackdown: 14 suspects arrested in Lahore, M…

    The National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) Punjab has launched a major crackdown against networks allegedly involved in online financial fraud, identity theft and social media scams, arresting 14 suspects in Lahore and Multan. The operation was carried out under the direction and supervision of NCCIA Punjab Director Muhammad Ali Waseem. Officials said the suspects allegedly defrauded citizens of millions of rupees through various online schemes. In Lahore, the NCCIA arrested four suspects in three separate cases. They were identified as Muhammad Amir, Muhammad Ashfaq, Muhammad Qamar and Ameer Karim. According to initial investigations, the suspects allegedly posed as marriage bureau representatives or close friends to gain victims’ trust. They then allegedly deceived citizens into transferring money. Investigators recovered mobile phones from the suspects and found evidence indicating that victims had been defrauded of significant amounts. In Multan, the NCCIA carried out three separate operations and arrested 10 suspects. They were identified as Muhammad Asghar, Amir Shehzad, Muhammad Kamran, Rizwan Talib, Saqib Ali, Kamran Talib, Iftikhar Manzoor, Muhammad Adnan, Muhammad Sultan and Muhammad Naeem. Investigators said the suspects allegedly used social media platforms and WhatsApp to impersonate officials from customs, police, banks and other government institutions. The suspects allegedly contacted citizens using false claims involving prizes, gifts, donations, bank verification and parcel clearance. They then demanded money from victims under various pretexts. Investigators uncovered one case in which a victim was allegedly defrauded of Rs1 million, while another involved the alleged theft of Rs588,000. The NCCIA said several mobile phones, SIM cards, fake WhatsApp accounts, social media profiles and other digital evidence were recovered during the operations. The seized devices and accounts are being subjected to forensic analysis. Cases have been registered against all 14 suspects under relevant provisions of the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act (PECA) 2016, as amended in 2025, along with applicable sections of the Pakistan Penal Code.

  • |

    Govinda recalls how he inspired Salman Khan before Partner

    Indian actor Govinda once opened up about a difficult phase in Salman Khan’s life before the two actors came together for their successful comedy film Partner. According to Govinda, Salman was going through a period of personal pain and emotional distress at the time, which had made him unusually quiet and withdrawn. Recalling their interaction before the shooting of the 2007 film, Govinda said he felt the need to speak to Salman and encourage him. He believed that when a person is struggling with personal issues, whether related to love, expectations or disappointment, it can become difficult for anyone else to help them overcome their emotions. Govinda remembered telling Salman that he had spent enough time focusing on things outside himself and now needed to look inward. He encouraged the actor to concentrate on his own well-being and work on rebuilding his confidence. The veteran actor also spoke to Salman about his physical fitness. Govinda recalled that he himself was going through a challenging period and weighed around 114 kilograms after stepping away from politics. Despite his own struggles, he tried to motivate Salman and remind him of his potential. Govinda reportedly told Salman that he did not look like a typical hero at that point because he appeared unhappy and sad. Rather than allowing himself to remain trapped in that difficult phase, Salman was encouraged to move forward and regain his confidence. According to Govinda, Salman asked him what he should do next. In response, Govinda advised him to exercise regularly for several hours each day. He also reminded Salman of the qualities that made him special as an actor and a leading man. Govinda compared Salman’s potential with that of legendary actor Dharmendra. He believed Salman had been blessed with a supportive family, a good appearance, personality and the qualities needed to become a major star. His advice was not simply about improving Salman’s physical appearance but also about helping him rediscover his confidence and strength. Govinda further recalled making a prediction about Salman’s career at the time. He told him that he believed he would continue to rule the film industry for the next 10 years. Looking back, Govinda said Salman ultimately proved that prediction right through his continued success and popularity. Their professional association later became particularly memorable through Partner, directed by David Dhawan. Released on July 20, 2007, the romantic comedy starred Salman Khan and Govinda in the lead roles, with the two actors developing a popular on-screen partnership. The film went on to become a notable commercial success and remains remembered for the chemistry and comic timing between its two leading stars. Govinda’s recollection of his conversations with Salman offers another glimpse into the relationship between the actors before they appeared together on screen. His advice also reflected the importance of self-confidence, discipline and perseverance during difficult periods. For Salman, that phase eventually became part of a larger journey that saw him strengthen his image as one of Bollywood’s most prominent stars.

  • | | |

    Pakistan, Kazakhstan vow to boost trade and invest…

    Pakistan and Kazakhstan have reaffirmed their commitment to expanding bilateral trade, investment and regional connectivity, as senior leaders from both countries held high-level talks on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) meeting. Pakistan’s Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar met Kazakhstan’s Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Yermek Kosherbayev, where the two sides reviewed the steady progress in bilateral relations following the recent visit of Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev to Pakistan. During the meeting, both leaders expressed satisfaction over the positive momentum in diplomatic and economic cooperation. They reiterated their commitment to implementing the understandings reached during President Tokayev’s visit, including the execution of 37 Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) signed between the two countries. According to Pakistan’s Foreign Office, the discussions focused on enhancing cooperation across a wide range of sectors, including trade, investment, transport, regional connectivity, energy, people-to-people exchanges and collaboration in multilateral forums. The two ministers agreed that stronger economic ties and improved transport links would create new opportunities for businesses and investors while contributing to broader regional integration. Kazakhstan’s Foreign Minister also praised Pakistan’s efforts to promote peace, dialogue and diplomacy in the region. He reaffirmed his country’s desire to further strengthen cooperation with Islamabad and expand engagement in areas of mutual interest. The leaders also exchanged views on regional and international developments, emphasizing their shared commitment to promoting peace, stability and sustainable prosperity through closer cooperation. In another positive diplomatic development, Kosherbayev extended an invitation to Ishaq Dar to visit Kazakhstan, reflecting both countries’ intention to maintain regular high-level engagement. Pakistan and Kazakhstan have significantly accelerated their diplomatic and economic partnership in recent years, with both governments seeking to unlock new avenues for trade and investment. President Tokayev’s recent visit to Pakistan is widely viewed as a turning point in bilateral relations, laying the foundation for long-term collaboration in strategic sectors. The latest meeting underscores the growing partnership between the two countries as they work to transform political goodwill into tangible economic cooperation, strengthen regional connectivity and create new opportunities for sustainable growth across Central and South Asia.

  • |

    Flash flood warning issued for New York, New Jersey

    Authorities have issued a flash flood warning for New York City, parts of New Jersey and western Long Island as heavy rainfall, thunderstorms and strong winds swept across the region, raising the threat of widespread flooding and travel disruptions. Weather officials warned that intense downpours could quickly overwhelm drainage systems, flood roads and affect low-lying areas. The flash flood warning remained in effect through Monday morning, while a broader flood watch was issued for New York City and northern and central New Jersey until the evening. Forecasters also declared a First Alert Weather Day, citing an elevated risk of flash flooding and severe thunderstorms. Moist and humid air moving into the region is expected to produce rainfall rates of one to three inches per hour, with total rainfall forecast between one and three inches. Some isolated locations could receive even higher amounts, significantly increasing the risk of flooding. In response to the severe weather threat, New York City Emergency Management activated its Flash Flood Emergency Plan. City crews were deployed to clear storm drains and catch basins in flood-prone neighbourhoods, while emergency teams were placed on standby to respond to flooded streets, fallen trees and stranded motorists. Officials warned that severe thunderstorms could also generate damaging wind gusts, increasing the possibility of power outages and hazardous driving conditions throughout the day. Meanwhile, a High Surf Advisory was issued for beaches south of New York City and across Long Island, where waves were expected to reach between six and ten feet. Authorities also warned of a high risk of dangerous rip currents and urged residents and visitors to stay out of the water until conditions improve. Temperatures were expected to remain in the low 80s under mostly cloudy skies. Weather experts forecast that storm activity would gradually weaken by Monday night, bringing an improvement in conditions.

  • |

    Ewan McGregor’s Obi-Wan return sparks excitement around Ahsoka

    Another exciting chapter in the Star Wars universe is officially on its way, with fans getting a fresh look at the upcoming instalment of Ahsoka. Disney unveiled the official trailer on Friday, August 14, offering viewers a glimpse at the major battles, returning characters and new threats that will shape the story. The upcoming film features Rosario Dawson returning as Ahsoka Tano, while the story expands the conflict between the New Republic and the Imperial Remnant. Grand Admiral Thrawn once again emerges as a major threat, bringing renewed danger to the galaxy as the New Republic struggles to contain the growing power of the Empire and the Nightsisters. The trailer also highlights Ahsoka and Sabine Wren’s continuing journey on Peridea, a mysterious world located in another galaxy. Their adventures are expected to play an important role in the new story, while the expanding conflict promises to bring several familiar Star Wars elements back into the spotlight. Among the biggest talking points surrounding the new instalment is the potential return of Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi. McGregor previously portrayed the legendary Jedi throughout the Star Wars prequel trilogy and later reprised the role in the Disney+ series Obi-Wan Kenobi. Fans have continued to hope that McGregor could return for another season of the series, particularly after his emotional reunion with Hayden Christensen, who played Anakin Skywalker. However, McGregor recently admitted that there does not appear to be any major progress toward another season. “There seems to be no — I don’t know of any — progress in that direction,” the actor said while discussing the possibility of returning as Obi-Wan. McGregor nevertheless remains hopeful that more stories featuring the character could eventually be told. He suggested that there are still interesting possibilities for the beloved Jedi, leaving the door open for a future appearance. Although a second season of Obi-Wan Kenobi may not happen soon, fans have not given up hope of seeing McGregor in the role again. His potential involvement in future Star Wars projects continues to generate excitement, especially as the franchise explores new timelines and characters. The upcoming story is also expected to include live-action flashbacks involving Ahsoka and Anakin during the Clone Wars. These sequences could provide additional insight into their relationship and Ahsoka’s development as a Jedi. With the return of Ahsoka, Sabine and Thrawn, along with the continuing Imperial threat and possible connections to Anakin and Obi-Wan, the new instalment is shaping up to be a major event for Star Wars fans. The film is currently expected to arrive on January 20, 2027, giving audiences plenty of reason to anticipate another major chapter in the galaxy far, far away.

  • | | | |

    Trump weighs massive strike on Iran

    US President Donald Trump is considering launching a new large-scale military operation against Iran, raising fears of a further escalation in tensions across the Middle East. According to reports, the proposed operation could be larger than previous US military strikes carried out against Iranian targets earlier this year. Trump said he was close to making a decision but stressed that no final order had been issued. He said the United States was fully prepared to act if necessary and claimed military plans were already in place. US officials, however, said no formal authorization for a new attack has yet been given. The US president also said Israel could join any future military operation if requested, although he maintained that American forces were capable of carrying out such an operation on their own. Trump accused Iran of refusing to accept the latest diplomatic proposal presented through mediation efforts. He claimed Tehran was delaying negotiations despite increasing military and economic pressure. The remarks came amid continued efforts by international mediators to prevent the conflict from expanding. The US president also warned that Washington would hold Iran directly responsible if Yemen’s Houthi movement launched further attacks on commercial shipping. His warning followed Houthi claims that they had targeted two Saudi oil tankers in the Red Sea using missiles and drones. Trump said any future attacks on commercial vessels would trigger a strong military response against both the Houthis and Iran. He accused Tehran of supporting the armed group and said the United States would not tolerate threats to international shipping routes. Iran responded sharply to the US statements. Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei warned American military personnel against targeting civilian infrastructure, saying attacks on facilities such as bridges and power stations would violate international law. He stressed that military personnel remain legally responsible for carrying out unlawful orders. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Washington’s main objective remains preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons. He accused Tehran of repeatedly violating previous agreements and said the Iranian leadership continued to support armed groups across the Middle East instead of addressing domestic economic challenges. Rubio also urged Yemen’s Houthis to avoid becoming more deeply involved in the regional conflict. He said further attacks on Saudi Arabia or international shipping would only increase instability and could trigger broader military action. Meanwhile, Oman said it is working with Saudi Arabia, regional partners and the United Nations to revive Yemen’s political peace process. Omani officials called for restraint from all sides and emphasized the importance of protecting freedom of navigation in the Red Sea. Regional tensions continued to grow as Bahrain activated emergency warning sirens following reports of a possible Iranian attack. Authorities advised residents to remain calm and move to safe locations, although no casualties or damage were immediately reported. Jordan’s armed forces also announced that their air defence systems had intercepted several missiles and drones over the past 24 hours. Military officials said three missiles and six drones were destroyed before reaching populated areas, while another missile landed in an uninhabited location without causing damage. The Houthis said they carried out missile and drone attacks on two Saudi oil tankers as part of what they described as a maritime blockade. Shipping companies have already begun changing routes to avoid the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, increasing concerns over global oil supplies and international trade. Iranian military officials warned that if US attacks continue, Tehran will introduce new military strategies designed to make future operations more difficult for its opponents.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *