iran calls kurdistan
| | |

Iran calls Kurdistan drone attack a ‘false-flag?…

TEHRAN: Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has condemned a drone attack targeting the office of the Kurdistan Regional Government’s prime minister in Iraq, while warning Kurdish authorities to remain alert to what he described as possible “false-flag” operations.

The remarks came after two drones targeted the office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani in Erbil on Monday. Kurdish authorities said the attack caused no casualties, although the incident has added to concerns over the increasingly tense security environment in northern Iraq.

Araghchi said nothing justified what he called a reckless attack and urged Iran’s Kurdish neighbours to be cautious of attempts to create divisions and discord between neighbouring countries.

In a statement posted on social media, the Iranian foreign minister said Kurdish communities and officials should remain vigilant against operations designed to provoke tensions. He also referred to Iran’s past support for Kurdish people during conflicts with Saddam Hussein’s government and the Islamic State group.

The comments came as questions remained over who was responsible for the latest attack. The Kurdistan Regional Government’s security agency said the drones originated from Iranian territory, according to Reuters.

Iranian officials, however, have not directly accepted responsibility for the strike. Instead, Tehran has highlighted the possibility that the attack could have been carried out as a “false-flag” operation aimed at damaging relations between Iran and Iraq’s autonomous Kurdish region.

The attack has further complicated an already sensitive regional security situation. Erbil has experienced repeated drone incidents in recent months amid the wider confrontation involving Iran, the United States and Israel. In July, several drones were intercepted over the city, with local authorities reporting no casualties.

Kurdistan Region President Nechirvan Barzani has also condemned the latest attack, describing the incident as unacceptable and calling for Iraq’s federal government to fulfil its responsibility to protect the region’s security and stability.

The latest confrontation comes as Iraqi Kurdistan attempts to avoid being drawn deeper into wider regional hostilities. The region’s strategic location and close ties with Western partners have repeatedly made it a sensitive point in the broader Middle Eastern conflict.

With competing claims surrounding the drone attack, the incident is likely to increase diplomatic pressure on Baghdad, Erbil and Tehran to prevent further escalation and clarify responsibility for attacks on Kurdish territory.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Rahul Gandhi detained during protest outside PM Modi’s residence

    Indian opposition leader Rahul Gandhi was detained by Delhi Police on Tuesday while leading a protest march towards Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s official residence in New Delhi. His detention came as opposition parties intensified their campaign over the government’s handling of student protests and alleged examination irregularities. Congress leader Priyanka Gandhi and Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav were also taken into custody during the demonstration. The opposition leaders were demanding Prime Minister Modi’s resignation following the police crackdown on students protesting for education reforms. Before his detention, Rahul Gandhi accused the government of refusing to take responsibility for the crisis. He said the administration was avoiding accountability and was unwilling to hold a parliamentary debate on the issue. He also alleged that the future of India’s youth had been damaged due to repeated failures in the education system. Videos from the protest showed Gandhi resisting detention as police officers attempted to remove him from the protest site. Reports said he suffered minor injuries during the scuffle with security personnel. The protest followed large-scale demonstrations in New Delhi a day earlier. Thousands of students and activists gathered to demand the resignation of Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan and called for major reforms to India’s examination system. The protests were organised by the Cockroach Janata Party (CJP), a movement that has gained massive popularity through social media since its launch earlier this year. The group says it will continue nationwide demonstrations until its demands are accepted. Police used tear gas and batons to stop protesters from marching towards parliament on Monday. Violent clashes broke out between demonstrators and security forces. Authorities said more than 170 people were injured during the unrest, including over 100 police personnel. Dozens of protesters also sustained injuries. Police accused some protesters of violent behaviour during the clashes. Protest organisers strongly rejected the allegations. They claimed security forces used excessive force against peaceful demonstrators and injured hundreds of students. CJP founder Abhijeet Dipke urged supporters not to lose hope despite the crackdown. He said the movement would continue peacefully and would not end until the education minister stepped down and meaningful reforms were introduced. Many protesters remained at the Jantar Mantar protest site on Tuesday. They pledged to continue demonstrations until the government addressed their concerns. The issue also disrupted parliament. Opposition lawmakers demanded an immediate discussion on the police action against students, forcing the proceedings to be temporarily adjourned.

  • | | |

    Iran claims 200+ US troops killed as Tehran warns …

    TEHRAN: Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) has claimed that more than 200 US military personnel were killed and many others wounded during Iranian retaliatory attacks amid the latest escalation between Tehran and Washington. The claim, however, has not been independently verified, and no immediate confirmation or denial of the reported US casualties was available from American officials. IRGC spokesman Brigadier General Hossein Mohebbi rejected figures released by Washington, arguing that they did not reflect the full extent of losses suffered by US forces during the conflict. Speaking to Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency, Mohebbi said Iranian forces had targeted US military facilities across the region. He claimed that eight American military centers were struck and that around 20 protective shelters at one location were destroyed. The IRGC spokesman challenged Washington to allow journalists access to the affected military sites, saying such visits would reveal the extent of the damage. He accused US authorities of withholding information about casualties and military losses. Iran claims major US aircraft losses Mohebbi also claimed that Iranian attacks during roughly two weeks of fighting destroyed 11 US warplanes and helicopters on the ground. According to the IRGC account, the reported losses included an F-15 fighter jet, a P-8 maritime patrol aircraft, a C-17 transport aircraft and eight aerial refueling planes. Iran also claimed that 17 reconnaissance and operational drones were destroyed, including eight described as brand-new. The claims represent a potentially significant escalation in Tehran’s portrayal of the conflict. Independent confirmation of the reported aircraft losses has not emerged, and the locations of the alleged strikes have not been publicly specified. The statements came as tensions between Iran and the United States remained high, even as diplomatic contacts appeared to be continuing. Reports indicate that Washington and Tehran have exchanged messages through intermediaries, although major differences and deep mistrust remain. IRGC issues warning to Israel Iran also issued a fresh warning to Israel, saying Tel Aviv could face serious consequences if it re-enters the conflict. The IRGC said Iranian forces were closely monitoring the possibility of Israeli involvement and had prepared their strategy accordingly. The latest claims add another layer of uncertainty to an already volatile situation. With casualty figures and battlefield damage disputed by the opposing sides, the coming days could determine whether the confrontation moves toward diplomacy—or another dangerous round of escalation.

  • Police Officers Scrutinized for Releasing Chinese Detainees in Alleged Corruption Case

    BANGKOK – One police officer has been dismissed and four others are facing criminal and disciplinary action over allegations they took bribes to release Chinese detainees from immigration custody, the Royal Thai Police announced on Friday. Police chief Torsak and his deputy Surachate Hakparn transferred to inactive posts The five investigators, attached to the Metropolitan […]

  • | | |

    Kushner’s Gaza mission end in deadlock as Israel…

    JERUSALEM: US President Donald Trump’s envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner has concluded two days of talks with Israeli and Hamas representatives without securing a clear breakthrough in efforts to revive Washington’s Gaza peace plan. Kushner met Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday, following discussions with Hamas political leader Khalil Al-Hayya in Egypt a day earlier. The meetings were aimed at overcoming the deadlock surrounding the US-backed plan as fighting and Israeli military operations continue in Gaza. An Israeli official said Netanyahu made clear that Israel would not withdraw from the positions outlined in the October ceasefire arrangement and would continue military operations in Gaza when deemed necessary. Israel has also maintained that reconstruction cannot begin until Hamas is fully disarmed. The meeting between Kushner and Netanyahu lasted several hours and was also attended by Nickolay Mladenov, the Trump administration’s Board of Peace envoy for Gaza. Israeli officials described the discussions as deep and constructive, while a Board of Peace official called them productive and said the sides had agreed on a possible way forward without providing further details. Netanyahu’s office said Israel and the Board of Peace agreed that Gaza’s disarmament and demilitarisation must be completed before major reconstruction begins. The two sides also agreed to form working groups focused on disarmament as well as sanitation, clean water and other public health needs in the territory. The talks come as Netanyahu faces a challenging election campaign ahead of the October 27 vote, making major concessions on Gaza politically difficult, according to diplomats. Kushner’s meeting with Hamas representatives in Egypt was his second known engagement with the group. He previously participated in talks with Hamas alongside US envoy Steve Witkoff in October 2025, negotiations that contributed to a ceasefire agreement and the release of hostages held by Hamas. Earlier, Jared Kushner met Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem on Monday as Washington stepped up efforts to revive its stalled plan for ending the Gaza war. The meeting came a day after Kushner held talks in Cairo with Hamas representatives, including senior leader Khalil Al-Hayya, marking his second known direct engagement with the Palestinian group. Kushner was accompanied in Jerusalem by Trump’s Board of Peace envoy for Gaza, Nickolay Mladenov. The latest diplomatic push comes amid deep disagreements over the implementation of the US-backed Gaza plan. Under the proposal, Hamas and other armed groups would surrender their weapons while Israeli forces would gradually withdraw from Gaza. An international stabilisation force, alongside a new Palestinian police force, would then help maintain security in the territory. Netanyahu, however, has insisted that Israeli troops will not withdraw until Hamas and other armed groups are fully disarmed. Israel has also rejected a separate US-backed roadmap aimed at moving the broader peace plan forward. Diplomats say Israel is unlikely to make major concessions on Gaza ahead of the country’s October 27 election, adding another challenge to Washington’s efforts to break the deadlock. The talks have gained urgency as implementation of the ceasefire framework remains limited, with Israeli strikes continuing in Gaza despite commitments under the US plan. Hamas has said it accepts the proposed disarmament framework but argues that its implementation depends on Israel fulfilling its own obligations, including withdrawing forces and ending attacks. Kushner previously met Hamas officials alongside US envoy Steve Witkoff in October 2025. Those discussions helped produce an agreement that led to a Gaza ceasefire and the release of hostages captured during the October 7, 2023 attack. The latest meetings suggest Washington is seeking to reopen negotiations and bridge the widening gap between Israel and Hamas before the Gaza peace initiative loses further momentum.

  • | |

    MQM-P groups resume talks after Bahadurabad clash

    Differences between two groups within the Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P) have led to renewed contacts and negotiations between the rival factions, according to party sources. The dispute reportedly surfaced after a party meeting at the MQM-P headquarters in Bahadurabad, Karachi. Tensions escalated during the incident, with members of one group allegedly engaging in a physical confrontation with MPA Ijazul Haq, party leader Zakir, and their supporters. MQM-P leader Aminul Haq claimed that members of the opposing group also resorted to intense aerial firing during the confrontation. He said one party worker sustained injuries in the firing, while several others were hurt as a result of stone-pelting. Following the escalation, senior leaders from both sides have started communicating with each other in an effort to ease tensions and resolve their differences through dialogue. Party sources said the two groups are currently holding discussions and exploring ways to settle the dispute. The sources added that the two factions may hold a joint press conference within the next 48 hours. During the press conference, the leadership is expected to outline the party’s future course of action and announce decisions aimed at addressing the internal differences. The developments come as the party seeks to prevent further escalation and restore unity among its ranks following the clash at the Bahadurabad headquarters.

  • American siblings reunite with Thai man who saved their family during the Vietnam War

    UBON RATCHATHANI – More than five decades after losing contact, three American siblings have been reunited with a Thai man who protected and cared for their family during their stay in Thailand in the early 1970s. Baby reunited with biological parents a month after hospital mix-up in Samut Sakhon Raoul Butland, 66, Lisaree Butland, 63, […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *