pakistan 8216not hard
| | |

Pakistan ‘not a hard state’, says DG I…

Lieutenant General Ahmed Sharif Chaudhry, Director General of Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), said on Friday that Pakistan cannot yet be described as a “hard state,” stressing that the country’s laws must apply equally to all citizens without discrimination or elitism.

Speaking at a press conference focused on the security situation in Balochistan, the military spokesperson said the briefing aimed to address concerns about the province and explain the broader national security landscape.

He clarified that the term “hard state” does not refer to military rule but to a system where the rule of law is upheld uniformly, every citizen is treated equally, and all issues are resolved through legal and constitutional mechanisms.

The DG ISPR urged citizens to balance demands for rights with their constitutional responsibilities. Referring to Article 5 of the Constitution, he said loyalty to the state and obedience to the Constitution and the law are fundamental obligations of every Pakistani. He added that national identity should take precedence over provincial or ethnic affiliations, emphasizing that every citizen’s foremost identity should be Pakistani.

Highlighting the country’s counterterrorism efforts, Lt Gen Chaudhry said security forces have conducted 40,348 intelligence-based operations (IBOs) across Pakistan so far this year, averaging around 194 operations daily, with a significant number taking place in Balochistan.

According to the military spokesperson, security forces have eliminated 2,084 terrorists during 2026, averaging nearly 10 militants killed each day. He said 3,145 terrorist incidents have been recorded this year, while 819 people have lost their lives, including 303 Pakistan Army personnel, 194 members of law enforcement agencies, and 322 civilians.

He also revealed that 28 suicide bombings have occurred this year, claiming that most of the attackers were Afghan nationals. He said Afghan citizens, along with individuals linked to Afghan security forces, were among those killed or arrested during counterterrorism operations.

Comparing recent years, the DG ISPR said security forces killed 2,597 terrorists throughout 2025, while the total for 2026 has already reached 2,084. He noted that the effectiveness of counterterrorism operations has improved over time, with security forces now inflicting heavier losses on militant groups.

Responding to questions about the increase in terrorist incidents, Lt Gen Chaudhry said militant groups affiliated with the Taliban have intensified their activities because Pakistan has adopted a firm stance against them. He added that the rise in reported incidents also reflects the growing number of proactive intelligence-based operations, which lead to more engagements between security forces and terrorists.

He reaffirmed that Pakistan’s security forces remain committed to eliminating terrorism and maintaining stability across the country, particularly in Balochistan.

Similar Posts

  • |

    60,000 migrants flood Spain’s Ceuta border

    Spain has deployed additional security forces to its North African territory of Ceuta after a massive wave of migrants crossed from Morocco, creating one of the largest border crises in the region’s recent history. Ceuta’s President Juan Jesús Vivas said around 60,000 migrants entered the Spanish enclave within 24 hours, while at least 43 people died during the crossing attempts. The sudden influx overwhelmed local authorities and triggered an emergency response from Madrid. Spain’s Interior Ministry gave a lower estimate, saying around 50,000 people had reached Ceuta since early Thursday. Officials said more than 25,000 migrants had already returned voluntarily to Morocco. The crisis intensified after Spain’s Supreme Court ruled that migrants intercepted at sea while attempting to reach Ceuta or Melilla could not be immediately returned to Morocco. Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez described the situation as an “attack” and promised that those who entered illegally would be sent back as quickly as possible. During a visit to Ceuta, Sánchez said Spain would strengthen border security and accused criminal networks of spreading misleading information about the court ruling to encourage migration attempts. He added that Moroccan authorities were cooperating with plans to return migrants. Spanish authorities have now increased military deployment in Ceuta and Melilla, another Spanish territory in North Africa, after several hundred additional crossings were reported there. Many of those arriving were young men, but women, children and infants were also among the migrants. Officials estimated that around 7,000 minors were part of the latest arrivals. Ceuta, located on Morocco’s northern coast, is one of the European Union’s only land borders with Africa. The territory has long been a major route for migrants seeking entry into Europe and remains a sensitive issue in Spain-Morocco relations. The latest arrivals have caused concern among European leaders. Several governments called for stronger border controls, while EU officials described the scenes in Ceuta as unacceptable and urged an immediate halt to irregular crossings. The last major migration surge in Ceuta occurred in 2021, when thousands crossed the border amid a diplomatic dispute between Spain and Morocco. However, officials said the current movement is far larger and has created an unprecedented challenge for local authorities.

  • |

    Anne Hathaway battles dinosaurs in The End of Oak Street

    Anne Hathaway is preparing to take on prehistoric predators in her upcoming sci-fi horror film, The End of Oak Street, which is set to hit cinemas this month. On Saturday, August 8, the actress shared the final trailer for the highly anticipated movie on Instagram, giving fans a closer look at the mysterious events that unfold after an ordinary suburban neighbourhood is suddenly transformed. Normal ends here. Get tickets now for The End of Oak Street, only in theatres and IMAX August 14. Link in bio,” Hathaway wrote in the caption accompanying the trailer. The latest footage shows Hathaway’s character caught in a terrifying fight for survival as dinosaurs begin roaming through the streets. What initially appears to be a normal suburban setting quickly turns into a dangerous and unfamiliar world filled with prehistoric creatures. The trailer has already sparked excitement among fans, with many praising the cast and suggesting that the movie could offer a fresh take on the dinosaur genre. Some viewers have even compared the upcoming film to the iconic Jurassic Park franchise. One fan expressed excitement over seeing Hathaway and Ewan McGregor together on screen, writing that their appearance in the same movie was enough to convince them to watch it as soon as it arrives in theatres. Another admirer praised Hathaway as an “amazing talented woman,” while a third fan celebrated her versatility and encouraged her to continue taking on different kinds of roles. The film, which was previously announced under the title Flowervale Street, features an impressive ensemble cast led by Anne Hathaway and Ewan McGregor. Maisy Stella, Christian Convery, Jordan Alexa Davis, P.J. Byrne and Chris Coy are also part of the cast. The project is directed by David Robert Mitchell, who is known for his work on atmospheric and unconventional films. The movie combines science fiction, horror and prehistoric creatures to create a story centred on an isolated community fighting to survive against an unexpected threat. According to the official synopsis, a mysterious cosmic event suddenly tears Oak Street away from its suburban surroundings and transports the entire neighbourhood to an unknown location. As the residents struggle to understand what has happened, the Platt family quickly realises that their survival depends on staying together. Their once-familiar neighbourhood becomes almost unrecognisable, forcing them to face dangers they could never have imagined. Among the biggest threats are prehistoric predators that begin appearing in the area, turning the residents’ fight for survival into a terrifying battle. Hathaway and McGregor are expected to lead the emotional and suspenseful elements of the story as their characters attempt to protect their families while uncovering the mystery behind the strange event. With its combination of dinosaurs, science fiction, horror and a high-profile cast, The End of Oak Street has generated considerable interest ahead of its theatrical release. Warner Bros. is scheduled to release the film in theatres and IMAX on Friday, August 14.

  • |

    PCB unveils major domestic cricket overhaul ahead of ODI World Cup

    LAHORE: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has announced a significant revamp of its 2026–27 domestic cricket season, introducing structural changes aimed at strengthening competition and preparing players for the upcoming ICC Men’s ODI World Cup. The new domestic calendar places greater emphasis on high-quality white-ball cricket while also reshaping Pakistan’s premier first-class competition to improve competitiveness across all formats. According to the PCB, the season will begin on August 11 in Multan with the National Champions Cup, a four-team one-day tournament. Squads for the competition will be selected by the national selection committee, providing emerging players with an opportunity to impress in the 50-over format ahead of the global tournament. The board has also confirmed that the domestic season will feature two List A competitions. Following the National Champions Cup, teams will compete in the President’s Cup, giving players additional match practice and selectors a broader pool of performances to evaluate before international assignments. One of the biggest changes announced is the expansion of regional participation. The number of regional teams has increased from 18 to 20, with Sialkot and Peshawar each receiving permission to field a second team. PCB officials believe the move will create more opportunities for talented cricketers across the country and deepen the domestic talent pipeline. In another landmark decision, the prestigious Quaid-e-Azam Trophy has been divided into Gold and Silver Divisions for the first time in the tournament’s history. The Gold Division will feature the country’s eight strongest teams, while the Silver Division will include 12 teams competing for promotion and a chance to challenge the top sides. Both divisions are scheduled to begin on November 1, with the new format designed to increase the quality and intensity of first-class cricket. The domestic campaign will conclude with the National T20 Cup, scheduled for February and March, ensuring players receive competitive exposure in all three major formats before the international season intensifies. PCB officials said the revised structure reflects the board’s long-term strategy of producing better-prepared cricketers capable of succeeding at the highest level. By increasing meaningful competition, expanding opportunities for regional teams, and aligning domestic cricket with international priorities, the board hopes to strengthen Pakistan’s player development pathway. Cricket analysts have welcomed the changes, saying the new format could raise the standard of domestic cricket while helping selectors identify consistent performers ahead of major international tournaments, including the 2027 ODI World Cup.

  • |

    Ukraine submits peace proposals to US as Zelenskiy warns of autumn Russian draft

    Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy announced that Kyiv has delivered fresh peace proposals to American negotiators aimed at ending the conflict with Moscow. He simultaneously warned that Russia intends to use its upcoming parliamentary elections to launch a new, large-scale military mobilisation. Speaking in his nightly address, Zelenskiy stated that the proposals handed to the United States focus on bolstering Ukraine’s defence capabilities, particularly air defence, while urging Washington to exert diplomatic and economic pressure on the Kremlin to halt the war. The movement in negotiations comes as U.S. envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner prepare for potential visits to both capitals, following a period where diplomatic efforts had largely stalled. Kyiv continues to press for an immediate ceasefire after nearly four and a half years of fighting, whereas Moscow insists any agreement require Ukraine to permanently cede four claimed regions. Zelenskiy also cited Ukrainian intelligence reports indicating that Russian President Vladimir Putin plans to exploit September’s parliamentary polls to orchestrate a rapid autumn draft. “They are preparing for mobilisation in the autumn, immediately after the imitation of parliamentary elections,” Zelenskiy said, estimating that Moscow aims to draft several hundred thousand additional personnel by the end of the year, alongside ongoing voluntary contract recruitment. The electoral warning follows a decision by Russia’s Supreme Court on Monday to bar the liberal Yabloko party, the country’s sole registered anti-war political group, from contesting the upcoming election. Kremlin officials have denied plans for a mandatory draft, pointing to 200,000 voluntary sign-ups recorded in the first half of the year.

  • |

    TikTok star Cesar Gastelum shot dead during livestream in Mexico

    Mexican social media influencer Cesar Gastelum was shot and killed while livestreaming in Culiacan. The city sits in the northwestern state of Sinaloa, a region long troubled by unrest. Gastelum had built a following of nearly 600,000 people on TikTok. He was known mainly for his comedy content and light-hearted videos. At the time of the attack, he was streaming live outside a fast-food restaurant with friends. Footage from the livestream showed two helmeted individuals approaching on a motorcycle. The driver reportedly opened fire directly at Gastelum during the broadcast. The attack unfolded in real time as viewers watched the stream online. A security official in Sinaloa confirmed Gastelum’s death shortly after the incident. Authorities said a major security operation was launched in response. Details about a possible motive have not yet been released publicly. According to Reuters, the killing adds to a pattern of violence in the region. Culiacan, the state capital, has seen ongoing clashes between rival criminal groups. These factions have been fighting for territorial control across the city for some time. Sinaloa has repeatedly made headlines in recent years over organised crime activity. The state is widely associated with one of Mexico’s most powerful drug cartels. Public killings and targeted attacks have periodically disrupted daily life in the region. The incident has drawn comparisons to another high-profile case from last year. In May 2025, Mexican beauty influencer Valeria Marquez was killed in a similar way. She was shot while livestreaming from a salon in Zapopan, Jalisco. Marquez, who was 23 at the time, was killed after a man entered the salon. Prosecutors said he opened fire before fleeing the scene afterward. Her case was later investigated using femicide protocols by local authorities. Both cases have renewed concern over the safety risks facing content creators in Mexico. Livestreaming has increasingly placed influencers in vulnerable, exposed situations during public appearances. Digital rights groups have previously called for stronger protections for online creators. Authorities have not indicated whether the two cases are connected in any way. Investigations into Gastelum’s death remain ongoing as officials gather further information. No arrests have been announced at this time.

  • | | |

    Naqvi’s remarks backed administrative reforms, s…

    ISLAMABAD: Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi’s recent remarks about Pakistan’s governance system reflected ongoing discussions on improving administrative efficiency through the creation of new provinces or administrative units, according to informed sources. Naqvi made the comments while addressing the Pakistan Economic Summit 2026 on Thursday. During his speech, he described the country’s governance system as “broken” and urged political parties to develop a consensus on the issue of creating new provinces. His remarks triggered widespread debate among political leaders, analysts and journalists, with many questioning the message behind his statement. According to sources familiar with the matter, the minister’s comments should not be viewed as criticism of the federal government or as a sign of differences within the state institutions. Instead, they said the remarks were aimed at highlighting the need for administrative reforms to improve governance and ensure better delivery of public services. Speaking at the summit, Naqvi said the existing governance structure was no longer capable of addressing Pakistan’s growing challenges. He warned that unless major reforms were introduced, the country would continue discussing the same problems even after another 10 years. The interior minister stressed that Pakistan needed a long-term solution rather than temporary measures. He said the issue of creating new administrative units should be placed before the people so that a national consensus could be developed through public debate. Naqvi also referred to the prime minister’s reported long working hours, saying that working 18 to 20 hours a day reflected commitment but could not permanently solve structural governance problems. He said such efforts were similar to dealing with emergencies instead of addressing the root causes of the country’s administrative challenges. His remarks immediately sparked political speculation in Islamabad. Some observers interpreted the statement as an acknowledgment that the current governance model was not delivering the desired results. Others suggested the comments reflected dissatisfaction with the existing administrative structure. Some political analysts also linked the statement to speculation about differences between the civil government and the military establishment. However, informed sources firmly rejected that interpretation. A source with knowledge of the matter said there was no disagreement between Islamabad and Rawalpindi regarding the issue. The source emphasized that Naqvi’s speech was focused solely on promoting the idea of administrative reforms through the establishment of additional administrative units. According to the source, the purpose of the remarks was to encourage discussion among policymakers, political parties and the public about whether Pakistan should adopt a new administrative framework to improve governance across the country. Observers believe supporters of the proposal argue that Pakistan’s existing provincial structure has become too large and complex to effectively manage the country’s administrative and development needs. They maintain that smaller provinces or administrative units could bring government institutions closer to the people, improve service delivery, strengthen local administration and make governance more efficient.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *