search ends all
| |

Search ends as all 34 miners recovered after Quett…

QUETTA: The search and rescue operation at the site of the deadly coal mine explosion near Quetta concluded on Saturday after rescuers recovered the bodies of the last two trapped miners. With the latest recovery, the death toll from the tragedy has reached 34.

The explosion took place on Thursday at a privately operated coal mine in the Sorange coalfield, located around 30 kilometres northeast of Quetta. Officials said a buildup of methane gas triggered a powerful explosion, causing a fire inside the mine and leading to its collapse. The blast also affected another nearby mine.

Balochistan Chief Inspector of Mines Muhammad Atif confirmed that all 34 miners trapped underground had now been recovered. He said rescue teams worked continuously under difficult conditions to retrieve the remaining two bodies after recovering 32 victims on Friday.

Following the completion of the rescue mission, authorities sealed both mines and launched a formal investigation into the incident. A team of mining experts has been formed to determine the exact cause of the explosion and examine whether all required safety measures had been followed.

Officials said all the deceased miners belonged to Shangla district in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. Their bodies have been transported to their hometowns, where funeral prayers and burials will be held.

Authorities said 23 of the victims were residents of Pirabad, a village that has repeatedly suffered losses in coal mining accidents. Local representatives said most of the miners were young men between the ages of 17 and 25.

Community leaders said many of the victims belonged to the same families and were close relatives. Some of the deceased had already lost their fathers in previous mining accidents, reflecting the continued dangers faced by families dependent on coal mining for their livelihood.

According to officials, 24 miners were working nearly 4,000 feet underground in the mine where the methane gas explosion occurred. The remaining workers were trapped in another nearby mine that was also affected by the blast.

The tragedy has once again highlighted concerns over working conditions and safety standards in Pakistan’s coal mining sector. Labour organisations have repeatedly called for stronger enforcement of mining regulations, improved ventilation systems and better emergency preparedness to reduce the risk of fatal accidents.

Coal mining remains one of the country’s most dangerous occupations. Workers face constant threats from gas explosions, mine collapses, toxic fumes, suffocation and long-term respiratory diseases caused by prolonged exposure to coal dust.

Similar Posts

  • Man Shoots Ex-Wife and Her 19-Year-Old Lover in Deadly Bangkok Ambush

    BANGKOK – A tragic shooting on Sunday evening shocked a quiet neighborhood in Bangkok’s Prawet district. A former husband tracked down his ex-wife and her new teenage partner before opening fire on them. The brutal attack left a young factory worker dead and a young woman fighting for her life. Police investigators identified the suspect […]

  • |

    Pakistani celebrities who faced backlash for criticizing fellow stars

    Public figures are often judged not only for their professional achievements but also for how they speak about others. In Pakistan’s entertainment industry, several well-known personalities have sparked backlash after making controversial comments about fellow celebrities. While many of them built strong reputations through years of successful work, repeated public criticism and high-profile disputes have affected how sections of the audience view them. Veteran actor Firdous Jamal is one such example. Widely respected for memorable performances in television dramas, he found himself at the center of controversy after making remarks about actress Mahira Khan’s age and suitability for leading roles. His comments drew widespread criticism from both fans and members of the entertainment industry. In the years that followed, he continued making critical statements about several actors and industry veterans, further fueling debate. Personal family matters that became public also contributed to the negative attention surrounding him. Acclaimed writer Khalil-ur-Rehman Qamar has also remained a frequent topic of discussion due to his outspoken views. Known for penning some of Pakistan’s biggest television hits, he has often generated headlines for controversial interviews and public disagreements. His criticism of fellow celebrities, debates over social issues, and several personal controversies have divided public opinion, with supporters praising his honesty while critics accuse him of unnecessary hostility. Television host Nadia Khan, once celebrated as one of Pakistan’s pioneering morning show presenters, has faced criticism in recent years for her role as a drama reviewer. Her reviews, impersonations, and candid remarks about actors and television serials have often gone viral. While many viewers appreciate her straightforward opinions, others believe her comments sometimes cross the line and unfairly target fellow artists. Actor and producer Fahad Mustafa also came under public scrutiny after responding to comments made by senior actress Atiqa Odho regarding casting choices. His remarks during the exchange were widely criticized on social media, with many users describing them as disrespectful and ageist. The controversy prompted significant online debate and placed the star under intense public attention. Veteran actress, director, and filmmaker Sangeeta has similarly attracted criticism over her public statements. Some of her comments about fellow celebrities and revelations about past industry relationships were viewed as unnecessary by many fans. More recently, her remarks regarding actress Naeema Butt also generated discussion on social media, leading to mixed reactions from audiences. Television anchor Iqrar Ul Hassan, known for investigative journalism, has also seen his public image become increasingly polarizing. While he earned widespread recognition through his reporting career, his involvement in political matters, public disputes, and controversies surrounding his personal life have led to divided opinions among viewers. Viral incidents and outspoken statements have continued to keep him in the headlines. Media personality Dr. Omer Adil, once admired for hosting cultural and entertainment programs, has built a strong online presence through podcasts and YouTube discussions. However, his frequent criticism of celebrities and commentary on entertainment industry figures have changed how some longtime followers perceive him. Although he continues to attract viewers with his opinions, his style has also invited criticism from those who believe his remarks have become overly confrontational. These controversies highlight how public statements can significantly influence a celebrity’s reputation. In today’s digital era, where interviews and social media clips spread rapidly, even a single comment can shape public perception and spark widespread debate across the entertainment industry.

  • | |

    Punjab cybercrime crackdown, 28 suspects arrested

    LAHORE: Authorities have arrested 28 suspects in Lahore, Faisalabad and Multan as part of a major crackdown on organised online fraud, exposing alleged schemes that relied on impersonation, fake investment opportunities and fabricated official identities to deceive citizens. The arrests were made during a province-wide operation by the National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) Punjab, directed by Punjab Director Muhammad Ali Wasim, officials said. Investigators also seized 24 mobile phones and a laptop, which are now being examined for evidence that could lead to other members of the alleged network. The investigation has revealed how fraudsters allegedly manipulated trust to convince victims to hand over large sums of money. Millions allegedly lost in Lahore scam In Lahore, 18 suspects were arrested in separate operations. Investigators said the suspects allegedly impersonated relatives, visa agents, government officials and personnel associated with the Punjab Safe Cities Authority. In one case, suspects allegedly posed as both a relative and a visa agent and persuaded a victim to transfer Rs25.86 million. The case has highlighted how scammers can combine apparently familiar identities with urgent requests to make their schemes appear legitimate. Rs54.66m trading fraud uncovered Three suspects were arrested in Faisalabad in connection with alleged online trading fraud and unauthorised access to a company email account. According to investigators, a victim was shown fabricated trading records, digital-wallet balances and purported profit statements to create the impression that substantial returns were being generated. After being persuaded to invest, the victim allegedly lost Rs54.66 million, investigators said. The case demonstrates the growing sophistication of investment scams, where criminals allegedly use manipulated digital information to make fraudulent platforms appear genuine. Multan arrests expose impersonation tactics In Multan, seven suspects were arrested for allegedly posing as relatives, bank employees and individuals claiming to be based in Britain. Officials said victims were approached with various demands, including payments supposedly required for prize money, customs clearance, taxes and visa renewals. Such tactics typically create a sense of urgency, leaving victims with little time to verify the identity of the caller or the authenticity of the demand. Digital evidence now under forensic examination NCCIA investigators are examining the seized devices through forensic analysis. Financial transactions, call records and digital communications are also being reviewed to establish the full extent of the alleged operation and identify other people who may be connected to it. The crackdown comes amid growing concern over online financial fraud in Pakistan. The NCCIA’s own statistics identify financial fraud as a major category of reported cybercrime. The latest arrests underscore a simple but increasingly important warning: an apparently familiar voice, official-looking message or promising investment opportunity may not be what it seems. Authorities are expected to continue the investigation as they trace the alleged network and follow the digital and financial trails left behind.

  • |

    Jon Bernthal reveals why he distanced himself from family for ‘The Punisher’

    Jon Bernthal has opened up about the personal cost of playing Frank Castle in The Punisher. The actor admitted that he chose to isolate himself from his wife and children while working on the intense Marvel series. The Punisher is a standalone show built around Bernthal’s widely praised performance as the vigilante antihero. Frank Castle is a dark, violent character, and stepping into that role required Bernthal to shift into a completely different mental space than his everyday life. To keep that darkness from spilling into his home life, Bernthal made a deliberate choice. He kept his distance from his wife, Erin Angle, and their kids throughout filming. According to him, this was about protecting his family from the emotional shadow of the character he was playing. Speaking candidly with Howard Stern, Bernthal explained his process in detail. He said isolation becomes necessary during these projects, and that his wife remains the one person he still talks to regularly. He added that it wouldn’t feel right to be out socialising at restaurants or bars while simultaneously embodying a character defined by grief and violence. The 49-year-old actor also reflected on how this affects his bond with his children. He admitted that staying away from them has only grown harder over time. He said he does not want them around him while he is still mentally carrying the weight of such a heavy role. Even so, he made it clear that his love for them remains as strong as ever. Bernthal didn’t shy away from the practical realities of parenting either. He joked about the never-ending costs that come with raising young kids, specifically mentioning diapers. He added that if he’s going to spend time away from his children for work, he wants that time to genuinely count for something. Beyond The Punisher, Bernthal recently returned to the role of Frank Castle in Spider-Man: Brand New Day. The film, directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, also stars Tom Holland. Through this conversation, Bernthal gave fans a rare and honest look into what it really takes to fully commit to such a demanding role, and the personal sacrifices that often come along with it, both for himself and for the family waiting for him at home.

  • | |

    Current system has lost public trust, reset is ine…

    Barrister Gohar Ali Khan, Chairman of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), said the country’s current political system has lost the confidence of the public and requires a complete reset to restore democratic credibility. Speaking to the media outside Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi, Barrister Gohar said that instead of forming more governments under the existing circumstances, the leadership should return to the people and seek a fresh public mandate. He claimed that a key coalition partner had publicly described the prime minister as the beneficiary of a rigged election. According to Gohar, such a statement should have prompted the prime minister to immediately seek a vote of confidence in the National Assembly. The PTI chairman argued that the prime minister failed to obtain a vote of confidence and had therefore lost the moral legitimacy to continue in office. He added that the prime minister’s silence on the issue reflected a loss of political support and public confidence. Barrister Gohar further alleged that the government’s administrative structure had effectively collapsed. He claimed the government had lost its constitutional, legal and democratic standing, making the continuation of the current system increasingly difficult. He said the time had come for the existing political system to come to an end, adding that the Constitution provides a legal mechanism for moving a vote of no confidence. He said PTI would consult its allies before deciding its future course of action. The PTI chairman also said he believed the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) had emerged from a disputed electoral process. Calling for a political solution, Barrister Gohar urged all stakeholders to develop a national consensus to resolve the country’s ongoing political crisis. He stressed that Parliament should seriously address the public demands coming from all provinces.

  • |

    JICA delegation visits Literacy Centres in Lahore

    LAHORE: A high-level delegation from the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) visited Middle-Tech Literacy Centres in Lahore following an invitation from Literacy and Non-Formal Education Secretary Syed Haider Iqbal. The delegation included JICA President Dr. Akihiro Tanaka, Ambassador of Japan to Pakistan Shuichi Akamatsu, and JICA Pakistan Chief Representative Yusuke Shinozaki. During the visit, the officials toured literacy centres in Fatah Garh and Tajpura, reviewed the facilities available to students, and observed the teaching and learning activities. The delegation also interacted with students and distributed gifts among them. JICA representatives further handed over Package E textbooks to students who had completed Package D, enabling them to continue their education and move on to the next stage of their learning journey. During the visit, Secretary Literacy Syed Haider Iqbal briefed the Japanese delegation on the department’s ongoing initiatives for non-formal education. He highlighted projects being implemented with JICA’s support, along with other programmes aimed at improving access to education for children and young people who remain outside the formal schooling system. The secretary also outlined the department’s future plans and targets for expanding literacy, strengthening non-formal education and promoting skills development across Punjab. The JICA delegation appreciated the efforts of the Literacy and Non-Formal Education Department to improve literacy rates and provide educational opportunities to underserved communities across the province. The officials also acknowledged the department’s efforts to equip learners with skills that can contribute to their personal development and future economic opportunities. The meeting also focused on strengthening cooperation between the Literacy Department and JICA to expand educational opportunities for out-of-school children. Both sides discussed ways to enhance their partnership and explore further areas of collaboration to bring more children into the education system. The visit underscored the importance of international cooperation in addressing educational challenges and expanding access to learning opportunities, particularly for children who have been unable to attend mainstream schools.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *