supreme court reserves
|

Supreme Court reserves verdict on diyat amount

The Supreme Court of Pakistan has reserved its decision on an important legal question concerning the determination of diyat, or blood money, in murder cases.

A bench of the apex court reserved the verdict while hearing an appeal filed by convict Nadeem Khan. The case focuses on the amount of diyat payable and the point in time that should be used to determine its value.

During the hearing, the convict’s lawyer argued that his client had already completed his prison sentence for the murder conviction and was now serving additional imprisonment because he had not paid the required diyat.

Prosecutor Arshad Hussain told the court that the case was the first of its kind and that a High Court judgment already exists regarding the determination of the amount. He informed the court that the current diyat amount stands at around Rs197 million (Rs19.7 million).

Justice Hashim Kakar asked whether the diyat should be calculated according to its value at the time of the offence, the accused’s arrest, or the time of conviction and sentencing.

Justice Salahuddin remarked that making the financial consequences of murder more serious might discourage people from committing such offences. He also noted that Saudi Arabia continues to use 100 camels as the traditional basis for diyat.

Justice Ishtiaq Ibrahim observed that delays in deciding cases reflect shortcomings in the justice system and said an accused should not suffer because of institutional delays.

In response, Prosecutor Arshad Hussain argued that certain legal matters, such as determining a person’s age, are assessed from the time of arrest, suggesting that a similar principle could apply in determining the relevant period for diyat.

The Supreme Court directed all prosecutors concerned to submit their written arguments on the matter. After receiving the submissions, the court will issue its decision on how and when the amount of diyat should be determined.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Germany hunts terror suspect after Berlin pride cr…

    German authorities launched a national manhunt on Sunday for an individual suspected of ploughing a minivan into a crowd near a huge LGBTQ Pride gathering in Berlin, killing one person and injuring 29 others. The attack occurred in Tiergarten park near the Brandenburg Gate at approximately 10 pm, close to one of Europe’s largest annual LGBTQ celebrations, Christopher Street Day. The incident is the latest in a series of vehicle attacks on crowds in Germany that have intensified debate around security and immigration amid a surge in support for the far-right. Chancellor Friedrich Merz urged Germans to protect liberal values, stating: “We will defend the freedom, openness, and liberal spirit of our lives and our society with everything we can do.” It remains unclear whether the perpetrator acted alone, as police said more than one person may have exited the van. Berlin broadcaster RBB reported that an Iranian who had been a passenger in the vehicle had been arrested. The fire service confirmed that three of the injured were in a life-threatening condition. The attack comes at a sensitive time for Merz’s unpopular coalition government, which is undergoing a bruising cabinet reshuffle amid criticism of its effectiveness. The far-right Alternative for Germany party, campaigning on immigration and security, was quick to comment on the attack. AfD co-chief Tino Chrupalla said on X: “We will not allow religious extremists to divide our country with violence and intolerance!” Germany has experienced several vehicle attacks in recent years. In May, a man believed to have mental health problems drove into a pedestrian zone in Leipzig, killing two and injuring three. In 2016, a Tunisian failed asylum seeker hijacked a truck and drove it into a busy Christmas market, killing 11 people. At the Tiergarten park, people lit candles and left flowers in memory of the victim. The investigation is ongoing, with authorities working to determine the full circumstances of the attack. The incident has once again raised questions about security measures at public events and the broader challenges of preventing such acts of violence. The government faces increasing pressure to address these concerns while upholding the country’s commitment to openness and tolerance. As the manhunt continues, the nation mourns the loss of life and hopes for the recovery of those injured in this senseless act of violence. The coming days will be crucial in determining the motives behind the attack and ensuring that those responsible are brought to justice. The international community has expressed solidarity with Germany, offering support in the aftermath of the tragedy. The attack serves as a stark reminder of the ongoing threat of extremism and the need for continued vigilance to protect public safety.

  • | | |

    Rain-bearing weather system ends in Karachi, monso…

    The weather system responsible for recent rainfall in Karachi has weakened and dissipated, bringing an end to the latest spell of rain in the city. However, the Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD) has indicated that Karachi is still likely to receive more monsoon showers during the month of August. On Monday, the city experienced stronger-than-usual southwesterly sea breezes, helping to keep temperatures slightly lower than the previous day. According to the PMD, wind speeds reached 42 kilometers per hour, while the maximum temperature settled at 34.4°C, around 0.8°C lower than the previous day’s reading. Meteorologists said the strong sea breeze played a key role in moderating daytime temperatures despite the prevailing humid conditions. Residents continued to experience warm and sticky weather, although the increased wind speed provided some relief from the heat. The Early Warning Center has forecast partly cloudy, hot, and humid conditions for the next three days. During this period, daytime temperatures are expected to range between 34°C and 36°C, with no immediate indication of widespread rainfall. According to PMD spokesperson and Deputy Director Anjum Nazir, the weather system that triggered recent rain across Karachi has now completely weakened. He noted that it is too early to determine whether a developing low-pressure area over the Bay of Bengal will have any direct impact on Karachi’s weather. Despite the end of the current system, weather experts remain optimistic about the city’s monsoon outlook. They expect Karachi to receive additional rainfall during August as seasonal monsoon activity continues across the region. The timing and intensity of future rain spells will depend on the movement and strength of upcoming weather systems. Karachi typically experiences high humidity during the monsoon season, and changing weather patterns can result in sudden showers even after dry periods. Residents are advised to stay updated with official weather forecasts, especially if they plan to travel or participate in outdoor activities. The latest update offers a brief pause in rainfall while highlighting that the monsoon season is far from over. Authorities will continue to monitor developing weather systems and issue forecasts as conditions evolve, helping residents prepare for any significant changes in the coming weeks.

  • | |

    Subway launches legal action after Multan staff as…

    MULTAN: Subway Pakistan has initiated legal proceedings after one of its employees was allegedly assaulted by a customer at its Multan outlet, an incident that has sparked widespread outrage on social media. The altercation, captured on the restaurant’s CCTV cameras, quickly went viral online, prompting strong reactions from the public and renewed calls for better protection of frontline service workers. The employee, identified as Fazil, said the incident occurred while he was performing his duties and enforcing the restaurant’s policy prohibiting customers from consuming food purchased from outside the outlet. According to Fazil, a group of customers entered the restaurant carrying samosas. After an initial request from another staff member was reportedly ignored, he approached the group himself and politely explained the restaurant’s policy. He said he respectfully asked the customers to finish their food quickly to avoid disturbing others and to comply with the outlet’s operating procedures. Fazil alleged that the situation escalated unexpectedly when one of the customers, identified as Asad Khan, slapped him without warning. He claimed that even after stepping away to avoid further confrontation, the accused followed him and assaulted him again. The employee further alleged that he was grabbed by the neck, dragged across the restaurant and physically attacked by three individuals for several minutes. He said he sustained multiple blows to his face, back and other parts of his body despite offering no resistance. In an official statement, Subway Pakistan strongly condemned the incident, saying the safety, dignity and well-being of its employees remain a top priority. The company confirmed that it has referred the matter to the relevant legal authorities and is pursuing legal action against those allegedly involved. Subway also reiterated its commitment to maintaining a safe and respectful environment for both employees and customers at all its outlets.

  • | |

    Bilawal vows fight back after AJK election loss

    PML-N secures 23 of 45 seats to form AJK government Information minister says rigging claims need real evidence Pakistan Peoples Party Chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari has said the countdown for the federal government has begun. He made the statement after his party won fewer seats than expected in the Azad Jammu and Kashmir elections. The PPP has called the polls rigged. The PML-N government at the centre relies on support from several parties. The PPP remains its main ally. But during the AJK elections, the PPP repeatedly claimed the polls were unfair. The PML-N has won a simple majority to form the government in Azad Jammu and Kashmir. The party secured 23 out of 45 seats. This was confirmed by Rana Sanaullah, adviser to the prime minister on political affairs. Bilawal addressed PML-N directly in a video message. He asked if they could hear a sound. He said it was the countdown for the federal government beginning. He also announced a public gathering in Bagh district. He called on supporters in Poonch to prepare for a rally on August 10. He told them to get ready for his arrival. Bilawal described the elections as neither free nor fair. He called them rigged, and used strong words like bullet elections and bloody elections. Despite the results, he praised his party workers. He said the PPP had won nine seats despite the difficult circumstances. He vowed to reclaim seats he said had been stolen in Mirpur and Muzaffarabad. He said the PPP would continue its struggle and would not lose courage or leave the field. Sindh minister and senior PPP leader Sharjeel Inam Memon issued a similar warning shortly before Bilawal spoke. Memon said the countdown for the federal government had begun. He claimed PML-N had given ballot papers to its candidates two days before voting, working together with the Election Commission. Memon also alleged that the administration was ignoring complaints from the current president and prime minister of AJK. He called it historic rigging. He questioned whether top PML-N leaders, including Nawaz Sharif, Shehbaz Sharif, and Maryam Nawaz Sharif, had genuinely won their own seats in the 2024 elections. Information Minister Attaullah Tarar responded on Monday. He said accusations of rigging should not be made without solid evidence. He urged the PPP to show political maturity and accept the election results. His comments came a day after the second phase of voting was held in Muzaffarabad Division and refugee seats. Unofficial results showed PML-N leading in five constituencies, while PPP had won two. In the first phase, PML-N had already secured nine of the thirteen seats in Mirpur Division, with PPP winning four. Tarar said PPP should have worked harder, as it did during the Gilgit-Baltistan elections. He questioned the evidence behind Memon’s claims and said accusations should not be made without proof. He said the people of AJK voted for the party that focused on development. He advised PPP to reflect on its own performance in Sindh instead of blaming others. Tarar praised Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif for congratulating PPP after its win in Gilgit-Baltistan. He called it an example of political tolerance. He said PML-N ran a united and strong campaign in AJK, led by Nawaz Sharif, which helped secure the party’s victory.

  • | |

    US publication praises Pakistan’s digital financ…

    A US publication has praised Pakistan’s efforts to modernise its financial system, saying the country is steadily strengthening its position in the global digital financial landscape through reforms and technological innovation. The article highlighted Pakistan’s initiatives to promote digital transformation and said the country has the potential to play a meaningful role in the evolving global digital economy. It also commended the vision of Pakistan Virtual Assets Regulatory Authority (PVARA) Chairman Bilal Bin Saqib, stating that Pakistan must actively position itself within the international digital financial system to benefit from emerging technologies and new economic opportunities. According to the publication, the future will belong to countries that make swift decisions and implement reforms without delay. It noted that Pakistan has the opportunity to emerge as a leader in the digital economy by embracing innovation and adopting forward-looking policies. The article further stated that governments can no longer rely solely on traditional bureaucratic systems. Instead, they must adopt the speed, flexibility and innovation-driven approach of technology startups to remain competitive in a rapidly changing global environment. It added that digital assets are becoming the foundation of the future financial infrastructure and countries investing in digital finance today will be better positioned for long-term economic growth and global competitiveness. The publication’s remarks come as Pakistan continues to promote digital payments, financial technology and cashless transactions as part of its broader strategy to modernise the economy and expand financial inclusion.

  • | | |

    Pakistan’s Major General Qazi appointed as new U…

    UN Secretary-General António Guterres has appointed Pakistan Army Major General Jawwad Ahmed Qazi as the new Force Commander of the United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO). Major General Qazi, who has been awarded with the Hilal-e-Imtiaz (Military), brings more than 35 years of military leadership, operational command and international peacekeeping experience to his new assignment. His appointment reflects Pakistan’s longstanding contribution to United Nations peacekeeping operations. During his military career, Major General Qazi has held several senior command, staff and instructional positions in Pakistan and abroad. His previous appointments include serving as General Officer Commanding of an Infantry Division, Force Commander Northern Areas and Director General at the Ministry of Defence. He has also gained direct experience in UN peacekeeping, having served with the United Nations Transitional Administration in Eastern Slavonia, Baranja and Western Sirmium (UNTAES) in Croatia earlier in his career. Pakistan has welcomed the appointment, describing it as another significant contribution to international peace and stability. The country continues to support UN peacekeeping efforts by providing trained contingents and experienced military leaders for missions around the world. Major General Qazi’s appointment further highlights Pakistan’s extensive experience and continued commitment to global peacekeeping and international security.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *