jamaateislami protest enters
| |

Jamaat-e-Islami protest enters second day

Jamaat-e-Islami Karachi chief Munim Zafar Khan has called for an immediate reduction in petrol prices, saying the government must end what he described as excessive petroleum levies that are placing an unfair financial burden on the public.

Speaking to Geo News, Zafar said the Jamaat-e-Islami’s sit-in outside the Governor House in Karachi had entered its second day. He said the protesters had presented clear demands and would continue their demonstration until the government addressed their concerns.

According to Zafar, a large number of women will join the protest at 3pm today, adding further momentum to the demonstration. He said the party plans to maintain pressure on the government over rising fuel prices, electricity bills and other issues affecting ordinary citizens.

The JI Karachi chief also demanded a forensic audit of Independent Power Producers (IPPs), arguing that the government should investigate power-sector agreements and costs to identify areas where consumers may be facing unnecessary financial pressure.

Zafar said controlling inflation should remain the government’s top priority, as rising prices continue to affect household budgets across the country. He maintained that the public should not have to bear what he termed excessive charges and levies.

He further said Jamaat-e-Islami had launched sit-ins in all four provinces and would continue its protests until the government accepted its demands.

The ongoing Karachi demonstration focuses on petroleum levies, electricity bills and broader public concerns. The party has vowed to continue the sit-in at the Governor House as part of its campaign for relief from rising living costs.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Belgium’s largest wildfire in decades double…

    A wildfire officials describe as the largest in Belgium’s recent history more than doubled in size within 24 hours, local authorities said Sunday, as hundreds of firefighters entered a third day battling flames tearing through the country’s largest nature reserve. The blaze has forced the evacuation of two villages near Hautes Fagnes, a protected reserve close to Belgium’s eastern border with Germany. Local farmers have hauled water tankers toward the park to assist firefighting crews, while water bombing aircraft and helicopters sent from Sweden and the Netherlands have joined the effort from the air. The Belgian fire is one of several burning across Europe this weekend. At least two people died in forest fires on a Greek island off the coast of Athens on Sunday, part of a broader pattern of blazes spreading across the continent. Belgian officials said intense heat combined with the reserve’s difficult terrain, a mix of bog like wetlands, moorland and forest, has made the fire especially hard to contain. According to figures reported by a French news agency citing local officials, the fire grew from 80 hectares, or about 200 acres, on Friday to 850 hectares by Saturday morning, before expanding further to 3,000 hectares by early Sunday. Belgian Interior Minister Bernard Quintin said two fronts of the fire, one advancing toward Jalhay and the other toward Monschau, have now been brought under control. Authorities said conditions remain difficult overall and that they continue to rely heavily on aerial support to bring the fire under control, though no homes have been damaged so far. Two water bombing aircraft arrived from Sweden on Sunday afternoon to reinforce four helicopters, two Belgian and two Dutch, already working the fire. Nicolas Yernaux, a spokesman for regional authorities in Wallonia, said Saturday that the blaze ranks as the largest the country has seen in recent history. He said firefighters have allowed portions of the heathland to burn because those areas are extremely difficult to reach. Rescue teams have been unable to access the location where the fire started, leaving its cause unknown for now. Additional forest fires have broken out in Croatia, Spain and Serbia since Friday, following a summer of extreme heat that has left large parts of Europe either burning or scorched brown. In southwestern France, local officials in the Landes region said a separate wildfire forced the evacuation of 650 residents on Saturday. That fire first broke out Thursday and reignited Saturday, prompting authorities to deploy more than 500 firefighters to bring it under control. The EU’s climate monitoring service, Copernicus, has confirmed that western Europe just experienced its hottest June to July period on record, a finding that aligns with the wave of wildfires now spreading across multiple countries on the continent.

  • | | |

    Schools reopen across Sindh as summer vacation end…

    KARACHI: Schools and colleges across Sindh, including Karachi, reopened on Friday after a two-month summer vacation, bringing students and teachers back to classrooms and restoring the familiar bustle of the academic year. The reopening marks the end of the summer holidays that ran from June 1 to July 31 under the Sindh Education Department’s academic calendar. Along with the resumption of classes, educational institutions have also returned to a six-day working week, as the weekly Saturday holiday has officially been withdrawn from August 1. Although academic activities resumed across the province, attendance on the first day remained lower than usual in many government and private schools. Several private institutions announced that they would begin regular classes from August 3, allowing additional time to complete administrative preparations before welcoming students. Schools were filled with excitement as children arrived with their parents or in school vans after the long vacation. Teachers greeted students warmly and organized engaging classroom sessions, interactive learning exercises and science-based activities to help them settle back into the academic routine. Many schools also used WhatsApp groups and email to inform parents about updated school timings, class schedules and other important guidelines for the new session. Education officials encouraged parents to ensure regular attendance as the academic calendar gets back on track. The reopening of schools also had an immediate impact on city life. Morning traffic increased significantly across Karachi, with major roads witnessing the return of school transport, private vehicles and commuters during peak hours after weeks of relatively lighter traffic. Education experts believe that the return to regular classroom learning will help students regain academic momentum following the extended summer break. Schools are expected to focus on completing course outlines on schedule while maintaining extracurricular and practical learning activities throughout the new term. The Sindh Education Department had announced summer vacations from June 1 to July 31, with educational institutions officially resuming normal operations from August 1 under the revised weekly schedule.

  • | |

    Sir David Attenborough continues to mark milestone…

    Sir David Attenborough’s 100th year is proving to be just as remarkable as the career that came before it. The legendary broadcaster and natural historian continues to receive major recognition for his contribution to television and his lifelong work inspiring people to care about the natural world. Attenborough turned 100 on May 8, 2026, reaching the extraordinary milestone after more than seven decades in broadcasting. Rather than slowing down, he has continued to work on new projects while celebrating a century of life filled with exploration, storytelling and environmental advocacy.  His latest recognition comes through two major television award nods. Attenborough has been nominated for a 2026 Primetime Emmy Award, making him the oldest-ever nominee in the history of the awards. He received the nomination for his work as a narrator, adding another remarkable achievement to an already impressive list of honours.  He has also received his first-ever nomination for the National Television Awards. Attenborough is shortlisted in the TV Presenter category alongside well-known names including Ant and Dec, Claudia Winkleman, Alison Hammond and Stacey Solomon. The winners will be announced at the NTA ceremony at London’s O2 Arena on September 8.  The recognition comes during an especially busy year for the broadcaster. Several projects have been released to celebrate his centenary, including Wild London, Secret Garden and A Gorilla Story. The latter sees Attenborough return to the story of gorillas he first encountered while filming Life on Earth in Rwanda decades ago.  His 100th birthday was also marked with a major celebration at London’s Royal Albert Hall. The BBC event brought together musicians, celebrities and environmental figures to honour his extraordinary contribution to television and natural history. Attenborough said he had expected to celebrate quietly but was overwhelmed by the enormous number of birthday messages he received.  Institutions around the world have also joined the celebrations. Kew Gardens praised his lifelong commitment to plants, fungi and biodiversity, while the Natural History Museum named a newly discovered parasitic wasp Attenboroughnculus tau in his honour.  Attenborough’s influence extends far beyond television awards. Through programmes such as Life on Earth, Blue Planet and Planet Earth, he has helped generations understand the beauty and fragility of the planet. At 100, his latest nominations show that his voice and influence remain as powerful as ever. His extraordinary year is not simply a celebration of age, but a reminder of a lifetime spent bringing the wonders of nature into people’s homes.

  • | |

    Suicide bombing at Kabal Police Station kills 14, injures 20 in Swat

    SWAT: At least 14 people, including five police personnel and nine civilians, were killed and 20 others injured in a suicide bombing at the main gate of Kabal Police Station in Swat district on Sunday. According to Malakand Regional Police Officer (RPO) Syed Fida Hassan Shah, the attacker attempted to enter the police compound but was intercepted by security personnel stationed at the entrance. Prevented from gaining access, the suicide bomber detonated his explosive vest at the main gate. Police said the 20 injured include 14 police personnel and six civilians. The wounded were shifted to nearby hospitals, where several are reported to be in critical condition. The RPO said the police compound houses Kabal Police Station, Kabal Police Lines, a public facilitation center, and several other government offices. He noted that the casualties could have been significantly higher had the attacker succeeded in entering the compound. Following the blast, police and other law enforcement agencies cordoned off the area and launched a search operation, while investigators began collecting forensic evidence from the scene. Police officials said the severed head of the suspected suicide bomber has been recovered, and investigators are working to establish his identity and determine the circumstances surrounding the attack. Local sources said a public demonstration calling for peace was underway at nearby Kabal Chowk when the explosion occurred. Authorities have not yet confirmed whether the protest was linked to or affected by the attack. An investigation into the incident is ongoing. An emergency has been declared at the Saidu Group of Teaching Hospitals following the suicide blast in Kabal, Swat. All doctors, nursing staff, and paramedics have been placed on high alert to ensure the timely treatment of those injured in the attack. Hospital authorities said every effort is being made to provide the best possible medical care to the victims. Medical Superintendent Dr. Muhammad Saleem Khan, along with other senior officials, is personally overseeing the emergency response and monitoring the situation. The Saidu Hospital administration has appealed to the public to donate blood to help meet the urgent needs of the injured. Citizens have also been requested to avoid unnecessary visits to the hospital during the emergency to prevent overcrowding and allow medical teams to carry out their work efficiently. Hospital officials said the situation is being closely monitored, and emergency medical services remain fully operational.

  • Cambodia Blocks Return of Thais at Poipet Border Crossing Indefinitely

    BANGKOK – Thousands of Thai nationals remain stranded in the Cambodian border town of Poipet after authorities there indefinitely postponed a promised humanitarian corridor that was scheduled to open on Saturday. The move has left approximately 3,000 Thais who gathered at the checkpoint with their belongings unable to return home. Thai Embassy Seeks Clearance as […]

  • | |

    Cockroach movement demands release of detained pro…

    India’s youth led Cockroach protest movement called on authorities Monday to release all demonstrators detained during weeks of nationwide rallies, days after the campaign succeeded in forcing the resignation of the country’s education minister. The Cockroach Janta Party, an online organized group that has driven weeks of protests over exam paper leaks and other irregularities in India’s competitive examination system, said it had received reports of students being held in custody, particularly across the states of Assam, West Bengal and Bihar. In a statement, the group said any failure to release detained protesters or drop criminal cases against them would represent a breach of public trust, and warned it would take further action if its demand was not met. The statement followed the resignation two days earlier of Dharmendra Pradhan as education minister, a move that came after repeated failures in the administration of competitive exams fueled widespread anger among young Indians. The Cockroach Janta Party accused the government of going back on earlier assurances that protesters would not face punitive action. The movement has attracted millions of followers on social media since it launched in May under the leadership of Abhijeet Dipke, a 30 year old public relations graduate. Tens of thousands of demonstrators, most of them students, rallied last week in New Delhi and other cities across the country to demand Pradhan’s resignation and broader changes to the examination system. Protests in the capital turned violent on July 20 when demonstrators attempted to march from the Jantar Mantar protest site toward parliament. Police responded with tear gas and batons to break up the crowd, setting off clashes that led to a wave of detentions. The fallout from the crackdown carried into parliament on Monday, where opposition lawmakers repeatedly disrupted proceedings while demanding that the government address last week’s police response. Despite the disruptions, the government pressed ahead with introducing legislation in the lower house aimed at imposing tougher penalties for examination paper leaks. The protest movement has emerged as one of the most significant youth led political mobilizations in India in recent years, drawing comparisons to earlier waves of student activism that used social media to rapidly organize large scale demonstrations. Analysts say the swift resignation of a sitting cabinet minister underscores the growing influence such movements can wield when they combine online organizing with sustained street pressure, though the outcome of the current standoff over detained protesters remains uncertain as both sides continue to weigh their next steps.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *