lebanese vows efforts
|

Lebanese PM vows efforts to secure full Israeli withdrawal

Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam has said the government will continue working through diplomatic and political channels to secure a complete Israeli withdrawal from southern Lebanon. His remarks came during a visit to the village of Zawtar al Gharbiyah where the Lebanese army has recently expanded its deployment following a new security agreement aimed at reducing tensions along the border.

Speaking to residents and military personnel, Salam said Lebanon remains committed to restoring full control over all its territory. He stressed that the government would continue its efforts to ensure Israeli forces leave the remaining occupied areas in the south while supporting the Lebanese army as it strengthens its presence in the region.

The prime minister’s visit followed talks between Lebanese President Joseph Aoun and US President Donald Trump at the White House. During the meeting, Aoun urged the United States to support Lebanon’s demand for a complete Israeli withdrawal from its territory as part of ongoing efforts to stabilise the border.

Last month, Lebanon and Israel agreed to a US backed framework under which the Lebanese army would gradually deploy in designated areas while Israeli troops would withdraw from selected locations. The agreement also calls for the Lebanese military to take responsibility for disarming Hezbollah in those zones. Hezbollah has rejected the deal and insists it will not surrender its weapons.

Tensions remain high despite the agreement. Lebanon’s army said Israeli forces opened fire near soldiers who were deploying in Zawtar al Gharbiyah on Tuesday. The Israeli military responded by saying its troops fired warning shots after Lebanese soldiers entered an area outside the agreed deployment zone.

The border region has remained unstable since Hezbollah entered the regional conflict by launching attacks against Israel in support of Iran earlier this year. Israel responded with large scale airstrikes and a ground offensive that caused widespread destruction across southern Lebanon. Although violence has eased following recent diplomatic agreements, occasional military exchanges continue.

During his visit, Salam raised the Lebanese flag in the village and promised that the government would focus on rebuilding damaged communities. He said authorities would work alongside the army to reopen roads, clear rubble, restore essential public services, and create conditions that allow displaced residents to return home safely.

Many local residents gathered near the village hoping to receive permission to inspect their homes after months of conflict. Some expressed relief over the arrival of the Lebanese army, saying its presence gave them confidence that life could gradually return to normal. However, military officials advised civilians to wait until security operations in the area are completed before returning.

The army is currently conducting security sweeps in villages close to Israeli controlled positions to ensure the areas are safe for returning residents. Officials say these operations are necessary because of the continued risk of military activity near the border.

Meanwhile, Lebanon’s state news agency reported additional Israeli drone strikes and artillery shelling in nearby areas on Wednesday. It also said Israeli troops entered the Dubieh area near the border town of Shaqra and raised an Israeli flag over the historic Dubieh Castle.

Lebanese Culture Minister Ghassan Salame strongly criticised the move, describing it as a provocative action that violates Lebanon’s sovereignty. He said the government remains committed to regaining control over all historic sites and national territory in the south.

The latest incident follows Israel’s seizure of the historic Beaufort Castle in May. International attention has also turned to the condition of several historic castles in southern Lebanon. The United Nations is expected to consider adding five of these sites, including Beaufort Castle and Dubieh Castle, to its list of cultural landmarks at risk due to ongoing conflict. Lebanese officials hope international support will help protect these important heritage sites while diplomatic efforts continue to prevent further escalation along the border.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Karachi issues traffic plan for Chehlum procession

    KARACHI: The Karachi Traffic Police has announced a comprehensive traffic management plan ahead of the central Chehlum procession on Tuesday, urging commuters to use alternative routes as several major roads will remain closed during the religious event. According to the traffic arrangements, the main Chehlum procession will begin from Nishtar Park at 9:00am and proceed along its traditional route. M.A. Jinnah Road will remain closed to regular traffic for the duration of the procession to ensure the safety of participants and maintain security. Authorities have prepared a series of traffic diversions to minimize disruption across the city. Vehicles traveling from Saddar towards Tower will be redirected through Preedy Street and I.I. Chundrigar Road, while motorists approaching from Shahrah-e-Quaideen will be diverted via Kashmir Road and People’s Chowrangi. Traffic from Korangi, Landhi and the National Highway will be routed through Rashid Minhas Road and the Super Highway. Commuters coming from Nazimabad will be able to use Lasbela, Garden and Nishtar Road, while traffic from Liaquatabad will be diverted from Lasbela Chowk towards Nazimabad No. 10. Motorists traveling from Hassan Square and Shahrah-e-Faisal have also been advised to follow designated diversion routes through Society Light Signal, Teen Hatti and Sher Shah Suri Road. Drivers using Jamshed Road toward Guru Mandir have been asked to use Bahadur Yar Jang Road or Soldier Bazaar Road as alternate routes. Traffic police further announced that heavy vehicles will not be allowed to enter Karachi from 10:00am until the conclusion of the procession. Parking will also be prohibited along the procession route, and any vehicle found violating the restrictions will be removed immediately. Chehlum of Hazrat Imam Hussain (RA) and the martyrs of Karbala will be observed across the country on Tuesday with mourning processions and religious gatherings taking place under heightened security arrangements.

  • |

    AI builds 16 brand-new viruses in world-first genome experiment

    Artificial intelligence has designed 16 entirely new viruses that have never existed in nature before. Researchers in the US are calling it a genuine scientific breakthrough. According to the team behind the project, these newly designed viruses are fully functional and can replicate successfully in lab conditions. Scientists are describing the achievement as a major turning point for the field. This marks the first time AI has managed to design a complete viral genome from scratch. The viruses were specifically built to target bacteria, particularly drug-resistant strains of E. coli, and pose no risk to humans. The work was led by Dr Brian Hie and his team at Stanford University. They relied on genome language models, including systems called Evo1 and Evo2, trained using data from roughly two million bacteriophages. To keep the research safe, the team deliberately excluded any genetic data linked to viruses capable of infecting humans, animals or plants. That precaution was built into the training process from the very start. Hie explained that this represents a new level of complexity for what generative AI can design. He noted that building a complete, functional genome capable of replicating inside cells was completely uncharted territory for his team. Out of thousands of AI-generated designs, researchers narrowed the list down to around 300 for lab synthesis. After testing, only 16 of those proved effective at killing antibiotic-resistant E. coli. Scientists have framed the achievement as a potential breakthrough with real medical applications ahead. Tom Ellis, a synthetic genome expert at Imperial College London, called the work impressive but pointed out its current limitations. He noted that this particular genome remains one of the simplest and smallest to design successfully. Ellis added that concerns around AI-designed pathogens are often overstated compared to more realistic risks. He explained that modifying existing pathogens through gain-of-function techniques remains a far easier and more likely biosecurity threat. Still, some researchers in the wider scientific community remain cautious about where this technology could eventually lead. Experts at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security warned that proper oversight for this kind of AI-driven genome design doesn’t fully exist yet. Dr Filippa Lentzos from King’s College London argued that regulation needs to focus on multiple layers, including lab safety and DNA synthesis screening, rather than restricting AI models alone.

  • |

    India alarmed by Pakistan-Saudi-Türkiye alliance

    The defence agreement between Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Türkiye has emerged as a major strategic concern for India. The three countries signed the Makkah Joint Defence Agreement on August 7. Under the pact, an armed attack against any one of the three countries would be treated as an attack against all three. The agreement has attracted significant attention in New Delhi. Indian analysts are assessing its possible impact on the regional balance of power. An Indian media analysis recalled comments made by Indian Army Deputy Chief Lieutenant General Rahul R Singh in 2025. He had said that during the military confrontation between India and Pakistan in May, India faced several forms of support for Pakistan. The analysis claimed that Pakistan was directly involved in the conflict. It also alleged that China provided satellite information to Pakistan. Türkiye was accused of providing military assistance to Pakistan. The assistance reportedly included drones and other defence equipment. Saudi Arabia’s participation has now added another dimension to India’s concerns. Indian analysts fear that Riyadh could support Pakistan if another armed conflict breaks out between India and Pakistan. The concern comes despite India’s strong relations with Saudi Arabia. The two countries have extensive economic and strategic ties. India and Saudi Arabia cooperate in oil, trade, investment, security and cultural affairs. Their bilateral trade is estimated at around $43 billion. Saudi Arabia also remains an important supplier of crude oil to India. It reportedly meets around 14% of India’s crude oil requirements. Pakistan and Saudi Arabia also have a long history of defence cooperation. Pakistan has provided military training to Saudi forces. Pakistani military personnel have also been deployed in Saudi Arabia at different times. The Indian analysis claimed that Pakistan sent around 8,000 military personnel and 16 JF-17 fighter jets to Saudi Arabia during 2026. It also referred to reports about possible Pakistani drone support and Chinese-made air defence systems. These developments were reportedly linked to Saudi Arabia’s security concerns and attacks involving drones. The relationship between Pakistan and Türkiye has also expanded significantly in recent years. The two countries have increased cooperation in defence technology and military production. Pakistan has acquired Turkish-made warships and other defence equipment. Türkiye has also supported the modernisation of Pakistan’s naval capabilities. The two countries are also cooperating in the field of unmanned aerial systems. Pakistan has acquired Turkish Bayraktar Akıncı drones. Both sides have discussed and worked on expanding cooperation in drone technology. Türkiye’s KAAN stealth fighter has also attracted interest from Pakistan. However, no final purchase agreement for the aircraft has been confirmed.

  • | |

    Shah Rukh, Karan tease Friendship Day surprise

    Shah Rukh Khan and filmmaker Karan Johar have sparked excitement among fans after hinting at a new collaboration on International Friendship Day. The longtime friends shared a playful teaser on social media, leaving followers guessing about the project they have been quietly working on together. On August 2, Karan Johar took to Instagram to celebrate Friendship Day by posting a video featuring Shah Rukh Khan. In the clip, the Bollywood superstar is seen singing the classic Hindi song “Mil Gaya Hum Ko Saathi,” adding a nostalgic touch to the occasion. Alongside the footage, Johar shared a cryptic message teasing an upcoming announcement. The filmmaker wrote over the video: “Our best friend has a new best friend … nice friendship day gift bhai (brother). Who is it?!” The post immediately sparked speculation among fans, many of whom assumed the duo was preparing to announce a new film together. Others wondered whether the teaser was related to an advertisement, a digital campaign or another creative collaboration. The comments section quickly filled with excitement and requests for another Shah Rukh-Karan film. One fan wrote: “Can Karan make a film with Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol? We fans have been waiting for eleven years.” Another commented: “Best gift on Friendship Day.” A third fan added: “Just like the Guru Purnima post, I thought this was your next movie announcement, but anything you guys do is special. Waiting to see what this is about!!!” The latest teaser comes only weeks after Johar shared a heartfelt tribute to Shah Rukh Khan on Guru Purnima, describing the actor as his mentor and recalling how their friendship shaped his filmmaking journey. In that emotional post, Johar remembered one of his earliest conversations with Shah Rukh during a trip to Switzerland. He wrote: “Switzerland … I was looking at the mountains (pretending to be homesick and seeking sympathy). He came to me and said Tu director banega aur teri pehli film main karoonga.’ (You will become a director and I will do your first film). I thought to myself… he’s probably low on oxygen and may not completely know what he’s saying.” Johar went on to thank Shah Rukh for always believing in him as a filmmaker, referring to the superstar as his “guru.” Their friendship has produced several successful films over the years, making them one of Bollywood’s most celebrated actor-director partnerships. Professionally, both stars have busy schedules ahead. Karan Johar is preparing to return as host of the second season of The Traitors, which is scheduled to premiere on Prime Video on August 13. Meanwhile, Shah Rukh Khan is gearing up for one of the biggest projects of his career, King, in which he will share the screen with his daughter Suhana Khan for the first time. The highly anticipated film is currently slated for release on December 24, 2026. Although neither Shah Rukh Khan nor Karan Johar has revealed what their Friendship Day teaser is actually about, the cryptic post has already generated widespread excitement, with fans eagerly awaiting an official announcement from the iconic duo. 

  • | |

    Nine cops martyred in Hangu terrorist attack

    PESHAWAR: Nine police personnel, including DSP Diyar Khan, were martyred and 28 others injured after terrorists attacked the Khazina Banda police check post in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Hangu district late Wednesday night. According to KP Inspector General Zulfiqar Hameed, the attackers launched a coordinated assault while officers were on duty. Police reinforcements rushed to the scene but came under an ambush, damaging an armoured personnel carrier. Police retaliated strongly, killing 15 terrorists and injuring several others during an intense gun battle. The IG praised the bravery of the officers and vowed that operations against terrorists would continue across the province. In a separate incident, terrorists also attacked a police check post in Peshawar’s Adezai area. Police returned fire, forcing the attackers to flee without causing any casualties. Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi condemned the Hangu attack, paid tribute to the martyred officers, and expressed condolences to their families. He also briefed President Asif Ali Zardari on the country’s security situation, particularly in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan. The president praised the sacrifices of the security forces and reaffirmed the nation’s commitment to eradicating terrorism.

  • | |

    Mathira reveals age and cosmetic procedures she has undergone

    Pakistani television host and actress Mathira has candidly spoken about her age, cosmetic procedures, and her views on ageing during a recent appearance on Inqilaab Voice’s podcast The Hot Seat. Known for her outspoken personality, the television star shared personal details while addressing beauty standards, self-confidence, and life in the public eye. Mathira has established herself as a prominent television personality through hosting, acting, and her active presence on social media. With more than 2.6 million Instagram followers, she has appeared in projects including Chaal, Quddusi Sahab Ki Bewa, Nagan, Dil Ke Rung Hazar, 21 MM Show, and Raasta. She is also recognised as a single mother raising three sons while balancing her career. During the podcast, Mathira honestly revealed her age while dismissing society’s obsession with youth and appearance. She said, “I will be honest, I am 34. I think I am a thick woman, and I can still turn heads. Youth is a part of your life; no one can live forever young. To be famous is written in your fate; not everyone becomes famous.” Speaking about her journey in the entertainment industry, Mathira emphasised that she built her career on her own. “Who launched me and gave me fame? No one, I am self-made. I am not worried about my future and youth. I’m a public person who loves private life, and I’m not worried about weight shaming,” she said. The actress also addressed rumours surrounding cosmetic procedures and openly admitted to having undergone several treatments over the years. She explained that her nose surgery was not done for cosmetic reasons alone but was necessary after an accident. “I did get a nose job, that’s for sure, because of my accident my bone got slanted or disfigured. I got it done in Turkey,” Mathira revealed. She further acknowledged that she occasionally opts for non-surgical cosmetic treatments. “Yes, I do get a bit of fillers or Botox. I did get a bit of liposuction 15 years ago,” she shared. Mathira also challenged the stigma surrounding ageing, particularly the pressure placed on women to remain young. According to her, society often unfairly judges women based on their age while celebrating youth as the only standard of beauty. Expressing her views, she said, “A woman doesn’t get old that easily. Have you seen Shakira, how well is she doing? We have stereotyped women, saying women ageing or ‘Umer dhalna’ is a very disgraceful thing.” Her remarks resonated with many viewers, as she encouraged women to embrace every stage of life instead of feeling pressured by unrealistic beauty standards. Throughout the conversation, Mathira maintained that confidence, self-acceptance, and individuality matter far more than age, adding that she has never allowed criticism over her appearance or body to affect her outlook on life.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *