police constable martyred
| | |

Police constable martyred, Two suspected robbers k…

A police constable was martyred while two suspected robbers were killed during an exchange of fire in Karachi’s Orangi Town early Tuesday morning, according to police officials. The incident occurred near Liaquat Chowk within the jurisdiction of Pakistan Bazaar Police Station during a routine police patrol.

Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) West Tariq Illahi Mastoi said four police officers were conducting motorcycle patrols when they encountered armed suspects. According to the police, the suspects opened indiscriminate fire upon spotting the patrol team, prompting officers to return fire in self-defense.

During the shootout, both suspected robbers were killed at the scene. Police recovered two pistols, ammunition, spent shell casings, and the motorcycle allegedly used by the suspects.

However, 26-year-old Constable Hassan Ali sustained serious gunshot injuries during the exchange. He was immediately shifted to a nearby hospital, where doctors made every effort to save his life. Despite medical treatment, he succumbed to his injuries and was later declared martyred.

District West police spokesperson Nabeel Ahmed Rajput stated that the constable was wearing body armor at the time of the encounter. However, the bullets struck him from the side, causing fatal injuries.

Constable Hassan Ali was unmarried and hailed from Sukkur. Following funeral prayers at the Garden Police Headquarters in Karachi, his body was transported to his hometown for burial. The funeral was attended by Sindh Inspector General of Police Javed Alam Odho, Additional IGP Azad Khan, and several senior police officials, who paid tribute to the fallen officer’s sacrifice.

Police investigations later revealed that one of the deceased suspects had a significant criminal history. Officials said he had previously been arrested in connection with the 2021 killing of an assistant sub-inspector and was involved in at least 13 criminal cases. Another criminal case had also been registered against the second suspect.

The incident highlights the continuing security challenges faced by law enforcement personnel in Karachi. Police officers frequently encounter armed criminals during patrols, placing their lives at risk while carrying out their duties.

Authorities have reiterated their commitment to continuing operations against street crime and organized criminal networks across the city to improve public safety and maintain law and order.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Petrol price cut by 94 paisa, diesel become more e…

      The government has reduced the price of petrol while increasing the price of high-speed diesel, according to a notification issued by the Petroleum Division. The Petroleum Division has formally announced changes in the prices of petroleum products, with the revised rates taking effect from midnight. Under the new pricing structure, the price of petrol has been reduced by 94 paisa per litre, while the price of diesel has increased by 54 paisa per litre. Following the revision, the new price of petrol has been fixed at Rs324.98 per litre, compared with the previous rate. Meanwhile, high-speed diesel will now be available at Rs382.79 per litre. According to the notification, the revised prices of petroleum products will be applicable for August 13 and will come into effect from 12am tonight. The latest adjustment comes just a day after the government made another revision to petroleum prices. On the previous day, petrol had been reduced by Rs1.70 per litre, while the price of diesel had been increased by Rs1.39 per litre. The repeated adjustments in petroleum prices come amid fluctuations in international oil prices and changes in domestic pricing factors. Petrol and diesel prices are closely watched in Pakistan because changes in fuel rates can directly affect transportation costs, electricity generation, industrial activity and the prices of everyday goods. The government has also reduced the price of kerosene oil. According to the notification issued by the Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority (OGRA), the price of kerosene oil has been cut by 41 paisa per litre. Following the reduction, the new price of kerosene oil has been set at Rs289.27 per litre. Kerosene oil is used by households and other consumers in areas where access to conventional gas or other energy sources can be limited. Any change in its price can therefore have an impact on household energy expenses.   Alongside the change in the retail price of diesel, the government has also increased the petroleum levy imposed on the fuel. According to OGRA, the petroleum levy on diesel has been increased by Rs1 per litre. Following the increase, the levy on diesel now stands at Rs77.28 per litre. The petroleum levy on petrol, however, has remained unchanged at Rs80 per litre. Similarly, the levy on kerosene oil has also been maintained at Rs20.36 per litre. The latest revision means consumers will see a marginal reduction in the price of petrol and kerosene oil, while diesel users will face a slight increase. Although the changes are relatively small on a per-litre basis, fuel price revisions can have a broader impact on the economy because diesel is widely used by public transport, commercial vehicles, agriculture and the industrial sector. The government is expected to continue reviewing petroleum prices in line with prevailing market conditions and other relevant pricing factors. For consumers, the latest notification provides a mixed outcome, with petrol and kerosene becoming slightly cheaper while diesel has become more expensive. The revised rates will remain applicable from August 13, with implementation beginning at midnight.

  • |

    Major US financial firms targeted in extensive phone-phishing campaign

    Ransom-seeking cybercriminals have launched a coordinated campaign targeting high-profile US financial institutions, including Blackstone, Apollo Global Management, KKR, Bain Capital, and CME Group. A technical report from Google’s Threat Intelligence Group revealed that hackers created 72 malicious websites designed to steal corporate login credentials. Operatives used social engineering tactics, reaching employees directly on personal mobile phones while spoofing corporate IT helpdesk numbers. Under the guise of urgent system updates, callers guided staff to fraudulent domains such as “passkeyhelpdesk” or “secure-passkey” to capture login credentials and multi-factor authentication passcodes in real time. According to threat intelligence analysis, the campaign represents a strategic pivot toward private equity firms, law practices, and financial rating agencies, driven by the assessment that these targets hold sensitive commercial data worth paying substantial ransoms to protect. While digital intelligence data identified fake portals created for over 200 organisations, including Uber, Levi Strauss, and several major law firms, it remains unconfirmed which specific financial targets experienced compromised systems. The threat actors operating under names such as Redact, Falcon, Helix, and Pink share common digital infrastructure. Analysts noted that despite advanced enterprise perimeter security, direct voice-phishing techniques exploiting human trust continue to rank among the most effective cyber-intrusion vectors.

  • |

    Akshay Kumar lands special role in R.D. Burman biopic

    Akshay Kumar is set to reunite with filmmaker Neeraj Pandey after more than a decade, marking another collaboration between one of Bollywood’s most successful actor-director partnerships. The actor has reportedly signed on for a special appearance in Pandey’s upcoming biographical film based on the life of legendary music composer Rahul Dev Burman, popularly known as R.D. Burman. While the makers have not officially revealed details about Akshay’s character, reports suggest that his role, though brief, will play an important part in the narrative. The appearance is expected to leave a lasting impact on the story and add further excitement to the highly anticipated project. According to industry insiders, Akshay Kumar agreed to join the film almost immediately after Neeraj Pandey narrated the role to him. The actor and director are known to share a strong professional bond built on mutual admiration and trust. Their successful collaborations in the past have earned praise from both audiences and critics, making this reunion one of the most talked-about developments in Bollywood. The duo first worked together in the 2013 crime thriller Special 26, which received widespread acclaim for its gripping storyline and performances. They reunited in 2015 for the action thriller Baby, another critically appreciated film that strengthened their reputation as a successful actor-director team. Their latest collaboration is expected to generate significant interest among moviegoers eager to see them work together once again. The upcoming biopic will feature Farhan Akhtar in the lead role as R.D. Burman, one of India’s greatest music composers. Known for revolutionising Hindi film music with his innovative compositions and unforgettable melodies, Burman’s life and career continue to inspire generations of musicians and fans. The film aims to celebrate his extraordinary contribution to Indian cinema and showcase the creative genius that made him a musical icon. Production on the film is scheduled to begin in September. Directed by Neeraj Pandey, the project is being produced in association with Excel Entertainment. The filmmakers have reportedly started extensive pre-production work, with special attention being given to recreating Burman’s iconic music. Music sessions are already underway as the creative team works to capture the essence of the composer’s timeless sound while paying tribute to his remarkable legacy. The biopic is also expected to feature a large ensemble cast, with several well-known actors likely to join the project in significant roles. Official announcements regarding additional cast members are anticipated in the coming weeks. Meanwhile, Akshay Kumar was last seen in Welcome to the Jungle, the latest instalment in the popular comedy franchise. Released on June 26, the film featured an ensemble cast and blended action with comedy. It received mixed reviews from critics and audiences but performed reasonably well at the global box office, earning around ₹186 crore worldwide. With Akshay Kumar’s addition and Farhan Akhtar leading the cast, the R.D. Burman biopic is shaping up to be one of the most anticipated Bollywood projects currently in development. Fans are eagerly awaiting further announcements as production moves closer to its official start.

  • | |

    Khawaja Asif says Mir Raza case exposes compromise…

    Defence Minister Khawaja Asif has criticised the Sindh government over the investigation into the Mir Raza case. He said the developments emerging from the case suggest that the entire system had been compromised. In a social media post, Asif said continued attention was needed to ensure that the matter was investigated properly. He warned that any previous attempts to settle or cover up the issue should not be repeated. The defence minister also called for those who allegedly tried to conceal facts in the case to be exposed. His remarks came as questions continued to be raised over the handling of the Mir Raza case. The case has attracted attention because of conflicting information and concerns about the progress of the investigation. Meanwhile, the Sindh government has decided to establish a judicial commission to investigate the Mir Raza murder case. Sindh Home Minister Zia Lanjar said the provincial government wanted justice for Mir Raza’s family. He said a new committee had also been formed to examine the matter. Lanjar said the authorities would allow the judicial commission or the court to determine how conflicting reports should be dealt with. The government’s decision to form a judicial commission is expected to provide another forum for examining the circumstances surrounding the case. It may also help clarify conflicting accounts and determine responsibility based on the available evidence.

  • |

    FIA arrests 15 passport agents in crackdown outside regional passport offices

    GUJRANWALA: The Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) Gujranwala Zone has arrested 15 alleged agents during a coordinated crackdown on individuals operating outside passport offices in Gujranwala, Gujrat and Sialkot, accusing them of illegally charging citizens by promising expedited passport processing. The operation was launched on the directions of FIA Director General Dr Usman Anwar and the Director FIA Gujranwala Zone, according to an FIA spokesperson. The spokesperson said the suspects allegedly lured applicants by claiming they could secure passports quickly in exchange for money. Preliminary investigations have also indicated the alleged involvement of some passport office officials, and further inquiries are underway to determine their role. According to the FIA, seven suspects were arrested by the Gujranwala Circle, three by the Gujrat Circle and five by the Sialkot Circle. Those arrested in Gujranwala were identified as Hafiz Ayub, Muhammad Afzal, Muhammad Tariq, Ali Hassan, Muhammad Asad, Jamshed Ali and Sajjad Ali. An FIR (No. 578/2026), dated July 22, 2026, has been registered against them under Section 6 of the Passport Act, 1974, along with Sections 419, 420 and 34 of the Pakistan Penal Code. In Gujrat, FIA officials conducted a raid outside the Passport Office in Mandi Bahauddin and arrested Zahid Iqbal, Zubair Aslam and Shahroz Ali. An FIR (No. 03/2026 ACC), dated July 22, 2026, has been registered against them under Sections 419 and 420 of the Pakistan Penal Code. The FIA said five more suspects were arrested by the Sialkot Circle, where separate cases have also been registered under relevant legal provisions. Their identities were not disclosed in the press release. The agency said investigations are continuing to identify other members of the network and examine the alleged involvement of officials who may have facilitated the illegal activities. The FIA urged the public not to approach unauthorized agents for passports or other government services. Citizens have been advised to deal directly with the relevant government offices and report anyone demanding money or offering illegal facilitation so that legal action can be taken. An FIA spokesperson said the agency would continue its crackdown against agents exploiting citizens and those involved in corruption related to public services.

  • | |

    Monsoon rains kill 11, injure 25 across Pakistan

    At least 11 people have died and 25 others have been injured in rain-related incidents across Pakistan during the past 24 hours. The latest casualties have pushed the nationwide monsoon death toll to 97 since June 26. The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) said 297 people have been injured during the same period. Punjab recorded the highest number of casualties in the latest 24-hour period. Seven people were killed and 20 others were injured. Sindh reported two deaths and two injuries. One person died and three others were injured in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa. Another death was reported in Gilgit-Baltistan. House collapses were the main cause of deaths. The NDMA said they accounted for more than half of the fatalities during the latest reporting period. Drowning and lightning strikes were also among the major causes. The continuing rains have damaged homes and infrastructure in several areas. The NDMA said 22 houses were damaged during the past 24 hours. Seventeen suffered partial damage, while five were completely destroyed. Eight livestock were also lost during the latest spell. Since June 26, a total of 447 houses have been damaged across the country. Of these, 338 were partially damaged and 109 were completely destroyed. The number of livestock killed has reached 269. Heavy rain and landslides have also affected roads in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa and Gilgit-Baltistan. Around 0.9 kilometres of roads were damaged during the latest period. Traffic has been disrupted at several locations. Authorities are working to restore affected routes. The Pakistan Meteorological Department has forecast more rain, strong winds and thunderstorms in several parts of the country during the next 24 hours. The department has warned of possible flash floods in hill torrents in Dera Ghazi Khan and northeastern Balochistan. Urban flooding is also possible in parts of southeastern Sindh. Rain and thunderstorms are expected in the upper catchments of major rivers. Islamabad, Kashmir and Gilgit-Baltistan may also receive showers. Parts of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Punjab, Sindh and Balochistan are also likely to experience unsettled weather. The Met Office said flood-generating rainfall is not expected until July 28. However, another monsoon spell could begin from July 29. The expected system may affect upper river catchments, Islamabad, upper Punjab, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Kashmir and Gilgit-Baltistan. Authorities have continued relief and rescue work in affected areas. The NDMA said 386 relief items were distributed during the past 24 hours. Rescue teams also carried out five operations. Eight people were rescued. Since the beginning of the monsoon season, authorities have conducted 130 rescue operations. A total of 3,841 people have been rescued across Pakistan. Karachi may receive more rain Karachi is expected to remain mostly cloudy, hot and humid over the next two days. The Met Office has forecast light rain and drizzle at isolated locations. Strong winds may also occur in some areas. The city is expected to remain partly cloudy and humid on Monday and Tuesday. Occasional drizzle is also possible. A low-pressure system over southwest Rajasthan and nearby areas is currently affecting weather conditions. The system is expected to weaken by Monday. However, strong monsoon currents from the Arabian Sea continue to move towards southern and central Pakistan. These conditions may keep the weather unsettled. Several districts of Sindh are expected to receive thunderstorms and rain. Tharparkar, Umerkot, Mirpurkhas, Badin, Sanghar and Matiari may receive moderate rainfall. Heavy rain is also possible at isolated locations. Ghotki, Kashmore, Jacobabad, Shikarpur, Sukkur, Larkana and Khairpur are also likely to receive rain. Naushahro Feroze, Tando Muhammad Khan, Tando Allahyar, Jamshoro, Shaheed Benazirabad and Hyderabad may also experience showers, strong winds and thunderstorms. The Met Office has warned that lightning and strong winds could damage weak buildings and other vulnerable structures. Heavy rain may also cause urban flooding in low-lying and vulnerable areas. Residents have been advised to remain alert. People in vulnerable locations have been urged to follow official weather updates and take necessary precautions during thunderstorms. Karachi received its first major monsoon spell of the season on Friday. Rain was recorded across several parts of the city. The rainfall began in areas including Gulshan-e-Maymar, Surjani Town, Ahsanabad and Manghopir. It later spread to several other parts of the city. Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Gulistan-e-Johar, Nazimabad, Jamshed Road and DHA also received rain. Several commercial and central areas were also affected. The rainfall brought relief from the heat and humidity. However, authorities remain concerned about water accumulation if another heavy spell hits the city. Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah had placed the province on high alert ahead of the forecast. He directed local government bodies, the Water Board and district administrations to remain operational around the clock

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *